It's that time of year.
It's crazy to believe that it's already December. We've had so many amazing happen this year: 10 years of JKA, 1 year of JKHub, and the release of the JKA SP code. To "wrap up" this pretty epic year, we're gonna be doing something new.
To celebrate the holiday season, we're going to be hosting a White Elephant Gift Exchange. The basic mechanics are simple: You make an obscure/random/cool/whatever mod, and you bring it to the party. We then go around, opening these "mystery" gifts, stealing and trading them from one another. Quite fun. Except when you get stolen from. One thing that will be different this year: You will not recieve your gift until the game has concluded and you alone will get it. That way, the gift will be uniquely yours. Of course you can share it with the community, if you wish. I'll get to finer details of the game (or forum "event") soon enough, but first let's talk about...
Really, there aren't no specific rules as to what your file should be. Make it cool, weird, and unique! Will it be that sleek, hot item that everyone fights over? Or the ugly sweater some one gets stuck with? That's up to you! Just please: put some effort into your gift. This will be no fun if we all get ugly sweaters. Your gift will only be viewed by the JKHub staff (to ensure it's goodness) and the recipient. Screenshots will be taken to display your gift, once it's been chosen. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Nothing inappropriate. You know.
- Effort, please!
- It MUST be your own, original work. It may integrate the use of other mods to a certain extent (a very modified skin), but may not be a file by another author.
- No files that have already been submitted to JKHub are valid. Sorry.
- Upload your file to Dropbox, or some other safe upload service.
- You give full rights to the work to the recipient, but they MUST credit you. (Example: they can upload it, with credit given)
When you've made a gift of maximum goodness, send it to The White Elephant via PM. All files must be received by December 18th. Thanks!
How it's gonna work.
The staff, including myself, are going to continue brainstorming an effective plan of action, but for now, this is the plan. A new forum will be added, called "White Elephant Gift Exchange". This forum will contain rules, gift lists, and the trading topic. One December 19th, a list will be posted in the forum giving the order of gift choosing. A "gift list" of gift colors will be made available. The person whose turn it is will get to choose a gift color, revealing it to everyone. This event may span OVER Christmas, but will conclude by the 31st at the latest, depending on reply times, etc.
So now that I've thoroughly confused all of you, I'm gonna make an example between me, @Circa, and @Fighter.
- It's December 18th, and I just turned in my beautiful model pack to the White Elephant.
- On the 19th, a list is posted, listing @Circa first, @Fighter second, and me last.
- From the tantalizing list of mystery gifts, @Circa chooses the blue one.
- The White Elephant reveals that the blue gift contains a model of Jesus.
- @Fighter, who is second, now has two choices: To steal any of the gifts revealed from another player, or choose a new one. He chooses to open the red gift, which is revealed to be a new map!
- So now it's my turn. I really want the map, so I say this: "I will steal the red gift from @Fighter." The red gift is now mine. I then must specify a gift color for @Fighter to get in return. "He will get the green gift instead."
- The green gift is a loading screen of Santa, so @Fighter gets that, and I get the map!
- As soon as all the players have responded and all trading is done, the gifts are PM'd to the winners.
- By the off chance that you choose your OWN gift, you will be asked to choose again.
Why are we doing this? It's so tl;dr!
I'd really like to try something new this year (rather than Secret Santa, which is still pretty cool). Also, this will be our first experiment with forum interactivity and "events" which could be something cool.
Questions? I know I've made you confused.
Leave any questions below, and we'll do our best to figure em' out. If you have any suggestions, PLEASE share them! We'd love to make this as effective as possible! Is this event mandatory? Absolutely not! It's all just for fun!
To "wrap" it up:
- Make a gift by December 18th, and send it to The White Elephant
- Stay tuned on December 19th for the new Forum and the game to be officially be started
- Participate when you are listed to do so!
- Have fun.
We are looking for a technician (or technicians)!
The staff have determined that we have had some people asking at one point or another if they could help JKHub by being a technician of some kind, to help work on the maintenance/improvements side of JKHub. Therefore, we are opening applications for such a position. If we get several good applications, we may choose 2 people for the position.
As technician, you will be doing site maintenance, coordinating backups, and ensuring our site and hosted sites are kept secure and up-to-date software-wise. You will also write documentation for how to do processes with the site if needed (for the staff and any future technicians' reference). You will be helping to keep JKHub, one of the most popular and active community sites for the Jedi Knight series, with over 900 registered members, up and running. You must be responsible, as you will have access to various parts of JKHub and its site files. You must also be able to set aside time on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis for required maintenance tasks. This is a volunteer position. You will not be paid.
- At least Intermediate HTML and CSS knowledge.
- Experience with managing websites in the past (medium to large scale).
- Basic MySQL knowledge (being able to create new databases and database users, add data with phpMyAdmin)
- Ability to work well with others (others means the other technician if chosen and the staff members).
- Have responsibility and maturity.
- Ability to quickly learn about our systems and how they work (There are tutorials we have already made for a lot of the essential tasks).
- Ability to set aside time on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis for required maintenance tasks.
- PHP knowledge.
- IP Board knowledge.
- Intermediate to advanced MySQL knowledge.
- Very fast internet connection for site backups (if you don't, that's fine, as you can just work with one of our staff members to do backups when available). By fast, we mean being able to download 40GB+ relatively quickly, and being able to quickly upload 8GB+ if necessary.
Submit your application via PM to the JKHub account. There is no formal format for the application, just explain how you meet the requirements and why you'd be good for the position.
All applications must be submitted by December 14th.
Thanks for reading, and be sure to submit your application if you want the position!
Edit: We have gotten more than our goal in donations! Thank you to all who donated! We will be able to keep all of our services for the year!
No, really. Please help.
As of today, JKHub has been around for over a year. Every day, hundreds of people visit a website we host. JKHub has almost 32,090 posts and 911 members registered!
Additionally, we provide downloads for 1,594 mods, some of which over a GB in size. Also, 64,404+ files have been downloaded from our files section
Unfortunately, that costs money.
How JKHub makes money
Though JKHub is not a registered charity or non-profit organization, we do rely very much on users' donations. We currently do not have any paid ads on our website, and are not supported by any companies or investors besides our users. For this reason, we ask for donations once every year, in the fourth quarter. We'd very much like to continue being ad-free.
We try to be as transparent as we can about donations, so if you have any questions, please do feel free to yell.
What we need money for
Here is a full breakdown of all the money JKHub will need to make it through 2014, and the end of this year.
Webhosting is what we need in order to be able to make our site available to you. These costs go towards the company JKHub uses to host our website, and to make sure JKHub and sites using its hosting are secure and fast.
Dropbox is the third-party service we use to serve mod downloads that would otherwise to be too large (and too many) for our infrastructure to handle.
Software licenses are what we need to pay for to keep improvements to our site coming, such as the ones posted in this article. They'll allow us to keep our site as modern, user-friendly and secure as possible.
Addons are extensions to the software we use, such as the tutorials system and the links directory, made by third-party developers.
Domains are things like "jkhub.org".
The total money needed
In total, we need $200.
We have received $217 worth of donations so far.
What happens if we don't get $200
Truth is, we need about $200 to keep the webhosting up. In fact, if we don't have it by the end of the month, bad things might happen.
In practice, we'll certainly do everything in our power to keep JKHub running smoothly no matter how much money we get, however, we may have to decide to start placing potentially intrusive paid ads on our site to be able to accomplish that, for example.
So, in conclusion, please donate.
The button below will take you to our donation FAQ page, which is also where you can donate. Again, we try to handle donations as transparently as possible, so if you have any further questions, please post below.