- First, we will use the JKHub donations paypal account, until it's empty. There's still significant money on it, and it will all go towards JKHub. We won't replenish that Paypal account though, just use it as primary source of funding until it runs out.
- Secondly, I will pay for whatever we're paying for. By extension, Patreon funds actually benefit JKHub as well, not just me. This leaves me with slightly less money, but really not all that much, and frankly makes me feel better.
- All JKHub costs will be paid by me now. As long as the Patreon donations keep coming in, JKHub will never have to worry about getting donations again.
- More reliable, and much faster mod downloads are coming to a JKHub near you within 1-2 months. Probably closer to 1 month, but it depends. My running a hosting business has never been more convenient.
- I promise I'm shutting up about donations now. I'll add a portal sidebar block for them, but aside from that, this is the last news post about them.
- 10 replies
- 1,177 views
- Add Reply
- All submissions must be Halloween-themed (so scary, spooky, frightening, etc.)
- You can only enter your own creations.
- You may enter more than one file.
- Already existing files cannot be submitted this time. The goal is to encourage new creations!
- Any content is welcome, including skins, models, maps, weapons, menu mods, etc. Just make sure it abides by the rules.
- Files can be for Jedi Academy and/or Jedi Outcast. We will assume files are for JKA unless specified otherwise.
- The deadline for submitting content is October 23, 2016.
- The poll will be closed by October 30, 2016.
- 18 replies
- 1,446 views
- Add Reply
- The JKHub 2.0 redesign (immediately instead of in a number of months if we hit the next Patreon goal).
- As a part of the above, making the wiki usable and less broken.
- Increasing the frequency of interviews, articles, and news about JKA and the community.
- Fixing broken website things.
- Trying to resolve some people's frustrations with JKHub, its current state, other users, etc. I've heard a lot of frustrations with JKHub through the grapevine, plus seen some negativity on the forums, and I'd like to see if there's anything I can do about them. Disclaimer: I can only address people's frustrations if they tell me what their frustrations are.
- Encouraging more lurkers to try posting & participating on JKHub, and hopefully, encouraging some people who stopped using JKHub because of frustrations or other issues to come back.
- Whatever other changes seem like they're important and good ideas (hence the survey below). This whole list is intentionally incomplete.
- Forum moderation
- Posting in forum threads often
- File approvals
- Answering emails, contact form submissions & simple questions other staff members know the answer to as well
- Resolving conflicts between users unless you specifically ask for me in particular to be involved.
- 25 replies
- 2,701 views
- Add Reply
Oh god with all the donation posts
This is the last one, I promise. I swear I actually have something meaningful to say.
In all seriousness: I got the first monthly Patreon payment a few days ago. And I'm really happy with it, both because it means fewer financial worries for me, and because I can work on JKHub things now. I just want to give another huge thankyou to everyone who supported it.
That said, here's the issue: right now, JKHub donations and Patreon donations are entirely seperate, with Patreon donations going only to me. It bothers me, and frankly, makes me feel a little guilty. So we're changing it, and as a bonus, I'm introducing some Patreon donation goals as features right now.
Here's an overview of each changed goal:
✅ ACHIEVED: At $99/month
UNCHANGED: I will un-retire and return as JKHub staff member. I'll actually dedicate quite some time to it. JKHub will see a lot more news articles, improvements, and activity. I'll be holding lots of polls to see what people are interested in and what I should start with.
UNCHANGED: The JKHub 2.0 overhaul will begin immediately, instead of waiting longer. It will be the biggest face lift in the history of JKHub, featuring a clean, modern redesign based off constant feedback from the community. It won't be one of those crappy corporate redesigns that suck - it'll be awesome.
CHANGED: at this goal, I said I would pay for JKHub costs out of my own pocket, and JKHub wouldn't need donations anymore. I'm going to start paying for JKHub costs out of my own pocket right now, rendering this goal void. If JKHub needs to pay for something:
UNCHANGED: I will offer unlimited free JKA & JKO servers to the community. Seriously. No strings attached. You ask, you get a free JKA/JKO server. Any mod, no restrictions. Nobody will ever need to pay for a JKA/JKO server again.
I don't think we're going to hit any goals beyond that, and that's fine, but there was talk of getting a professional CDN up and running for file downloads, to replace Dropbox. That's happening now, too. Elaboration below.
Coming soon: faster, more reliable mod downloads
So I'm expanding my hosting business a lot right now, and working on cool new features. One of them is a CDN type offering, which lets files be downloaded from several servers spread across the world. Instead of downloading a file from a single web server that might be on another continent, you get it from the closest web server to you. The result is dramatically faster downloads.
My point is: it's not intended for JKHub's use case, but it's trivial to adapt it to be used for it anyway. Because I need to offer this anyway for my hosting business, I'm going to adapt it for JKHub too.
The end result is this: within the next 1-2 months, all mod downloads will be moved off Dropbox. Downloads will no longer periodically break, we'll no longer have to worry about bandwidth limits, and most importantly, all mod downloads from JKHub will be dramatically faster. Among other things, we had several survey submissions express frustration with current Dropbox file downloads, and this will resolve them.
You have 19 more days to submit entries for it!
Click here to view the article
UPDATE: Entries are now closed! Vote at this link or to the right of this article -->
Hi. It's me. How's it going? Cool. You like scary things? Ghosts? Monsters? Zombies? Awesome.
We're approaching these last months of the year, which is always my favorite. I hope 2016 has treated you all well, and I hope the remainder will too. What does this mean for JKHub?
We read all of your survey results, and we found one trending request: more mod contests! We all agreed that contests are a fun way to get people involved and keeping the modding community alive and breathing. Over the past couple years, we've tried having a contest every few months, though that didn't quite happen. We will continue to host more contests than we did before.
With that said, I'd like to introduce the JKHub Halloween Contest! It sounds straightforward to most, I'm sure, but in case there are people that are reading this that don't know what Halloween is, it's basically a holiday centered around horror and scary things. There's a history behind it, and feel free to look that up on your own.
This contest's rules will be similar to the Episode VII contest we had before, but with some changes to the system.
How do I submit my mod?
Our goal is to make it as simple as possible for both you guys and us. The way you submit your file for this contest is to upload them as normal files in our file section, but using a new category called Contest Entries.
So go to this link, as you normally would, and when choosing a category, choose Contest Entries. If you don't enter it there, your file won't be entered until you do. If you realize that you didn't do that, PM a staff member and we can change it for you.
How do I vote?
On the 24th, we will post a poll that all members can vote in. It will be featured in the Latest Poll area on the front page, as well as the usual forum for polls. You may only vote once. Polls will be displayed publicly, to avoid voting fraud. (Happens every time, shame on you)
All entries will be listed here as they come rolling in.
Good luck and have fun making sp00ky stuff!
Click here to view the article
Caelum is staff
Most people who have been keeping up with JKHub news will already knows this: I'm back. Hi. We hit the first $99/month Patreon goal a few days ago: which said:
I've spent the past couple of days working things out with the other staff and making sure they're still okay with all this (admins were consulted on it beforehand though, it's not like I just came up with this alone without asking). Plus I've been asking a lot of practical questions about how things I don't understand work. I've been gone for the past 4-ish years, so I had - and still have - quite a lot to catch up with. That said, I'm now very much un-retired, and starting work on a number of things.
I will un-retire and return as JKHub staff member. I'll actually dedicate quite some time to it. JKHub will see a lot more news articles, improvements, and activity. I'll be holding lots of polls to see what people are interested in and what I should start with.]
For those who don't know who I am: good to meet you! I came up with the idea of JKHub, and created it (with a lot of help). I also worked as JK3Files reviewer once, and in much darker days, I ran a couple of JKA clans. I retired years ago, and have since focused on running my commercial hosting business, which has grown to host 30+ JKA servers (plus other things, like websites), and which I'm still working on fulltime. Any rumors about me are all true: I am actually a Nazi lizard alien cleverly pretending to be human. Don't listen to anyone who says I'm secretly a woman though. They lie and deserve horrible death.
On a more serious note, here are some of the things I'll be working on (in no particular order):
You can generally contact me through PM, and I pretty much live in the JKCommunity Discord chat too. If you want to talk or have a question for me, don't hesitate to get in touch, though it sometimes takes some time (and/or some repeated harassment) for me to respond since I have errands to run, a real actual serious hosting business to manage (I feel like such an adult), a to-do list the size of a small planet, and even some semblance of a social life.
The JKHub survey
One of the things I'd like is to get people's opinions about the current state of JKHub. Whether you're an active user or just lurk here, I'd like to know what you think about the site, what you like about it, and what your frustrations are. To help, I've created a survey. It should only take about 5-10 minutes to fill in. It'll help the rest of the staff and myself get very useful feedback, and it'll help me get my bearings. You can find a link to it at the bottom of this post; I'd really appreciate it if as many people as possible filled it out. If you have some free time, please take a look at it.
The survey is anonymous, and answers will only be shared with JKHub's staff.
On a tangential side note: you might notice the 'JKHub admin' and 'JKHub staff' badges got merged into a single 'JKHub staff' badge. We had a discussion about whether it's still useful to have the distinction, and decided to fold both roles into a single one. Nobody has been demoted or left the staff or whatever. Just saying.
Patreon fundraiser still ongoing
The patreon fundraiser described in the last news post is still ongoing, and we'd really like to hit some of the other goals. If you haven't, please check it out below and consider contributing to it. As a reminder, these are the most important goals:
✅ ACHIEVED: At $99/month
I will un-retire and return as JKHub staff member. I'll actually dedicate quite some time to it. JKHub will see a lot more news articles, improvements, and activity. I'll be holding lots of polls to see what people are interested in and what I should start with.
The JKHub 2.0 overhaul will begin immediately, instead of waiting longer. It will be the biggest face lift in the history of JKHub, featuring a clean, modern redesign based off constant feedback from the community. It won't be one of those crappy corporate redesigns that suck - it'll be awesome.
JKHub will never need donations again. I will pay for JKHub costs out of my own pocket (through these Patreon donations). Also, we'll create a cool custom server tracker that's infinitely better than Gametracker and Jeditracker.
I will offer unlimited free JKA & JKO servers to the community. Seriously. No strings attached. You ask, you get a free JKA/JKO server. Any mod, no restrictions. Nobody will ever need to pay for a JKA/JKO server again. I'd really like to hit this goal.
Current amount donated: $128/month
Click here to view the article