Pass-me-arround map?

During my time at map-craft, we used to do challenges to give the community new maps or new content. So I was thinking, maybe we should do something like a "pass-me-arround map" where multiple authors get each 1 week to work on a certain map, and in the end, release it to the community. This way you see influences of multiple people working together. I believe the latest project we had was a huge tree model, we had to build a map arround it (dont think that ever got released, if so, i am missing the files of it - it was the ancient ruin theme map). Also we did a Nar Shaddaa landing pad.

http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Academy/Maps/Multiple%20Gamemodes/105657/

So if there are people intrested and we have like 4 or 5 people willing to do this, why not? ;)

Noodle, Smoo, Artemis and 1 other like this

Great idea Lazarus! I would offer my shelter map (since I haven't much time to make more rooms and stuff) if someone is interested. I got some time this week so I would work on it this week to complete the "ceremony room" with shaders and stuff. It got two different doors types and 3 are placed in the room (you can see them in the WIP thread in UE4). I'd love some help with it to show the power of rend2 (the map should look awesome in vanilla too, that's what I'm currently working on) and what we can archive with it. I can help with rend2 shaders and textures if someone wants to map but has no clue how to supply the fitting textures.

Theme is an underwater shelter. The story in my mind behind it is not Star Wars related, but that doesn't matter, right?

Is that ok for such a project?

You probably won't get much interest in anything non-Star Wars. 

Also, there are probably a total of 4 mappers here these days.

Seeing how the last mapping project turned out, I'd be cautious if trying it again. A couple members left JKHub for good because of that.

You probably won't get much interest in anything non-Star Wars. 

Also, there are probably a total of 4 mappers here these days.

Seeing how the last mapping project turned out, I'd be cautious if trying it again. A couple members left JKHub for good because of that.

That was so stupid...

I'd love to see this happen though, I'd set some groundwork rules though.

1. Come up with a theme we can all agree on.  I also agree that sticking with a Starwars theme might be for the best, doesn't have to be, but more interest is likely.

2. Elect a map leader with experience that we can give authority to make decisions if there are any design disagreements.  Also elect a back up leader in case the original disappears off the web for large amounts of time.

3. Have the primary goal to produce the map, not to produce it with extreme quality.  Better to produce a map, then never put anything out.

4. Everyone who participates agrees that we're free to use whatever they contribute and they can't take back anything they've added to the map (they're free to use it in their own work, but anything they contribute is open source).

And on that note I want a reactor somewhere in this map, here's some inspiring screenshots:

midgar_mako_reactor.jpg

safer-reactors.jpg

h-banner.jpg

nuclear-reactor-3.jpg

tumblr_lz7ls5jI151qiiz3qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lq7jr7IkwP1qzprlbo1_500.png

lhc.jpg

lasers.jpg

european-jet-tokamak-fusion-reactor-640x

maxresdefault.jpg

CMS_006.tif-1.jpg

1-laserfusione.jpg

Smoo likes this

JKG Developer

@Darth Futuza Love the pictures you gathered. (especially the ff one and the fusion reactor ones :D ) Sounds would be great as I have no idea about this.

So, goal of the shelter map would be to make a great ffa (maybe ctf?) multiplayer map. So story is irrelevant.

Theme: underwater shelter near an underwater volcano

License: Other players may modify and share this work so long as they provide credit to the original author(s).

Workflow I had in mind:

Everyone gets 1 week to contribute map parts. If needed you can get up to 3 more days (maybe between other contributors phases). Texture,shader and sound improvements can me "submitted" until every contributor finished their parts. The latest contributor gets 4 days more to compensate the time he is missing for improvements. Before the release every contributor gets the chance to enter a discussion about the final map to match the contributors expectations. If the map leader disagrees with a point, the complaining contributor has to "obey". WIP pictures are welcome so every participant can contribute or indicate problems.

Oh btw. @Lazarus are you in too?

Maybe we should summon some mappers here?

Futuza likes this

I vote we nominate Lazarus as the leader.  I don't mind if we do ctf, but I don't really want to do a symmetrical map since I feel that limits are creativity too much. 

As far as a theme goes hmmm...how about this?

The planet of Balbali (primarily jungle/rainforest) was built and used briefly during the Clonewars by the Separatist forces as a military research station, material mining, and a troop resupply point.  However, Republic forces discovered the planet base and after a few skirmishes between the two forces, the military base was abandoned after the primary reactor was damaged in a Republic bombing run, contaminating the area.  It has been several (50+) years since and the jungles have been retaking the base.  I imagine it'd look something like this (only obviously with military structures not amusement park structures):

nature-reclaiming-abandoned-places-29.jp

2A1A9B5100000578-3144528-The_Chemin_de_f

KQ3A2oA.jpg

51af6263d461122ee97f38405bafdb4b.jpg

c1ed8886714c5bbd3d06a5314d8df2a9.jpg

tumblr_mq904u84Wo1s18hopo1_500.jpg

nature-reclaiming-abandoned-places-18.jp

nature-reclaiming-abandoned-places-3.jpg

nature-reclaiming-abandoned-places-23.jp

nature-reclaiming-abandoned-places-13.jp

nature-reclaiming-abandoned-places-26.jp

As a note I always liked the look in Patema Inverted, for this sort of theme here's some shots from it:

tumblr_nefi44zvGU1tta1pio3_500.gif

Patema6.jpg

patema_hires_4.jpg

screen4.jpg

Patem.logo_.0.www_.download.ir-5.jpg

Here's some ambient sounds I'd want to see in this sort of map:

Other ideas?

EDIT: Oh and an underwater volcano shelter would be cool and might even fit in with this idea as well.

Edited by Darth Futuza
Smoo and Asgarath83 like this

JKG Developer

Hm, ok, this makes me a bit sad. Then I have to finish my shelter map myself. Then this will only be a duel map, but I'm ok with it. :)

??? I don't see why it wouldn't fit in with the ideas discussed so far?

I mean yeah, there'd probably have to be a few changes to fit with the theme I suggested (eg: add some moss on your walls and make it look less shiny and more dusty and abandoned, but overall I don't see why it wouldn't fit.)

Edited by Darth Futuza

JKG Developer

??? I don't see why it wouldn't fit in with the ideas discussed so far?

I mean yeah, there'd probably have to be a few changes to fit with the theme I suggested (eg: add some moss on your walls and make it look less shiny and more dusty and abandoned, but overall I don't see why it wouldn't fit.)

You probably are right. But first lets see who want's to participate and who gets the map leader. I agree on Lazarus as the leader.

I prefer not leading this, since i have more projects running and a busy RL. I 'd like to participate, but not as leader. Since @@Darth Futuza made a start on his concept, i think he is better in taking the reigns of this project. I do feel we need all to be on the same line when it comes to the project, that means you need to take all oppinions in account

I prefer not leading this, since i have more projects running and a busy RL. I 'd like to participate, but not as leader. Since @@Darth Futuza made a start on his concept, i think he is better in taking the reigns of this project. I do feel we need all to be on the same line when it comes to the project, that means you need to take all oppinions in account

I don't think I have enough mapping knowledge or experience to lead something like this.  I just made a start on my concept to brainstorm, hoping to get everybody else thinking, inputting ideas, etc.  I'm not hard set on it at all.

JKG Developer

ALright, i ll play a little bit as leader then (i guess since i am the one suggesting this thing)

So let me put some things straight:

First of all, the reason of pass-me-arround is quite simple. Everybody has a different take on an area. When you say underwater facility or something like that, I think of an underwater cave, water people can swim in to get from point a to b, water that rises and lowers. Somebody else may see it different and that is what makes this map unique. So it's quite simple, dont plan this ahead for the other person, let them do their thing on this map.

Second, more then one style is there, which should be quite fun blending into each other. So try to work on an area you like, and not the whole map. Leave that to somebody else in a later stage.

Personally, i would love to see interactivity, so like random events that can be triggered. I d like to look into that, plus maybe an outdoor area. (it be caves, it be something else). The vid of the reactor that shoots lasers on the side is something i'd like to script ;) (and it gives me a nice idea for my own sp map)

Anyway, people i am open to suggestions, but I like to have for example, the reactor in the middle.

At this point I see 3 mappers (including myself) willing to try this on, any more? I think with 4 or 5 we should be fine. @@Circa?

I think we could use some more mappers. Let me just use some summoning magic...

@ , @@Garyn Dakari , @@HiddenSpy , @@Vic Hatecraft , @@Polterninja34 , @@Acrobat , @@AngelModder , @@Krattle , @@Livingdeadjedi , @@tritoch , @@@JCulley3D , @@Kalek , @@DarthNormaN , @@Szico VII , @@Pande , @@MaceMadunusus , @@J3rk , @@Siberi , @@Jeff , @@SkippyMaster , @@Langerd , @@mormord

--

I don't expect most of these people to respond, but if any of you are interested in participating I think it'd be cooler, the more the merrier. 

JKG Developer

It doesnt matter what your skills are, basic brushing and texturing is something all can do if you know how GTK Radiant works. We all walked that path before. Nobody should compare themselves to a Sith J Cull, Mace, Pande, Szico or who ever made all these great fanbased maps, that we all love to play. If you can master Richdiesals  (learn mappign here in my signature) you already have surpassed the beginner level, and are okay in my book to join the fun.

Remember, I am not asking for a master piece: It's the journey to get the endproduct there, not the endproduct itself, people. I offer my wisdom here to the community and share it, where I gather new wisdom everyday by reading here, and having my questions answered. I am no expert, but learn and try. Darth G always used to say, live to do, die trying. And thats what keeps me going in this.