The JKHUB Pass me around WIP topic

For those of you that are not familiar with the term 'pass me around', please read this topic: 

http://jkhub.org/topic/1557-the-jkhub-pass-me-around/

The basic idea is to have a WIP level that is being created by passing it around to several mappers who work on it for a week in turn. A question for @@Silverfang, could you expand on piratepad? I'm not familiar with it.

For good measure, I'll start by reposting the schedule:

Schedule:(last updated on April 2nd)

Schedule on hold, awaiting decision

1.@@MUG-February 18th-February 24th

2.@@TwinHits: February 25th-March 3rd
3.@@MagSulMarch 4th-March 10th
4.@@Pande-March 11th-March 17th
5.@@Delta_135- March 18th-March 24th
6.@@Szico VIIMarch 25th-March 31st
7.@@MoonDog,-April 1st-April 7th

8.@@mrwonko-April 8th-April 14th

9.@@exonimus -April 15th-April 21st
10. @? Depending on what still needs to be done bugfixing, creation, whatever-wise.

Ground rules

1. Nomenclature:

The WIP map file will be named jkhub_pma_(number).map, so for the first mapper, this will be jkhub_pma_1.map, for the 2nd, jkhub_pma_2.map, etc.

We will use one shader/texture/models folder nomenclature. It's the same idea: base/textures/jkhub_pma, base/models/map_objects/jkhub_pma/ etc.Please make sure to include all your models and files+textures (I'm looking at you, .ase models) during and at the end of your turn and compile the map, so we have no missing files and the next mapper can look around ingame (this might not be workable for the first few mappers). 

2.Log files

• We keep a log file in a word document, in which every mapper describes what he did, what his ideas/criticism/comments/goals and intentions were, which things he wanted to do but couldn't, which bugs he found, and general inspiration he had, including tips and (relevant) banter , so the next mappers can delve into this for inspiration. This has proved to be crucial in the past, to please stick to this. The first mapper can create the word document. We don't want to know what you did every second, but please sort your comments by name and date, so it's easy to get an overview of the progress of the WIP level in time

3.Forums:

• We will keep this topic updated with progress reports and screenshots (Show off your skills!  You know you want to! ;) ). Aside from us demonstrating our awesomeness, this is of course to generate inspiration, ask questions, have new ideas and perhaps some parallel side work from other people like silverfang (loved that helo, btw).
  • Other people that are not mentioned in the topic are free to offer suggestions and map objects as well, but using them is at the mappers' discretion.

4.Construction

• We try to not remove others' work, just improve upon it, although this sometimes does require removal, depending on the situation. (By asking: what was he attempting to achieve? Then work from there. That's why the log file is important) 
  • WE USE CAULK. :D
  • We attempt to use the appropriate detail/structural brushes to spare the mappers at the end some major headaches (I'm sure pande has been there..)
  • The first mapper starts mapping at 0,0,0 (xyz)

5. GTK Radiant

• You are free to use whatever version you want, but: we use the same, updated entities definition file, to be found here:  http://jkhub.org/files/file/1299-updated-mp-entities/ . I know MUG has had some issues in the past. To which extent are they fixed?
  • Please don't forget to add jkhub_pma to your .shaders file!
  • Do NOT go below grid size 1, map on the grid to keep things easy for all of us.

6. General

• Send the zipped up (and preferably compiled) files to the next mapper on the last day that you are scheduled to have. If you know you cannot do anything on your last day, do it sooner so the next mapper has a day extra. Spread the love! :D
  • Please name your textures in an easy to understand way, so others can immediately see its use (e.g. metalwall_1 or whatever)
  • FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY: KEEP. BACKUPS. On your HD, on your USB drive, keep a backup on your calculator for all I care. Also backup everything before messing with the entities.def file.

Ladies, gentlemen, let the games begin! @@MUG, if you read this sooner and feel like starting earlier, feel free to do so =)

Szico VII likes this

Piratepad is basically a word document that multiple people can work on at the same time to quote them on this "This pad text is synchronized as you type, so that everyone viewing this page sees the same text.  This allows you to collaborate seamlessly on documents!" We could have a log on the piratepad that can be viewed/edited at any time. Also it keeps a history of the pad so you can go back and see old revisions.

A shader file probably doesn't need to be kept on the piratepad as long as everyone makes sure to add all of their shaders to the shader file from the previous mapper (keeping it all in one shader file) etc.

I was about to start a new piratepad for the PMA but piratepad just went down (doesn't happen very often) so we should definitely keep a local copy of the log file if we put that on the piratepad Also we should all probably get on the jkhub irc channel every so often.... team meetings? :D

Oh god. I have first slot T_T Well, thankfully, my trip to New York has given me some ideas, so at least I have something to work with xD

Also,

we use the same, updated entities definition file, to be found here:  http://jkhub.org/files/file/1299-updated-mp-entities/ . I know MUG has had some issues in the past. To which extent are they fixed?

I never had problems with it, I tested it after other people mentioned there being issues, and found none.

My congratulations for making my evening with those sceenshots. And those captions. :P

I'll update the main post with some desciptions on the theme soon.

@@MUG Could you explain in more detail what ideas you have in mind? I'm also going with @@Szico VII 's underground railway guess.

edit: and perhaps it was @@MoonDog having issues with those update ent files. I know someone had issues with it, anyway.

Could you explain in more detail what ideas you have in mind?

Sure thing. I was going to let my screenshots speak for themselves as I go, but if I let you know what I am scheming, that gives you all some time to plan stuff that fits with what I have started on, and perhaps even pre-build some stuff to merge in.

I'm imagining a city inhabited by two classes. On the ground, and under it, reside the lower classes. Here there will be slums, and ground level vehicles in the streets (i guess speeder bikes or similar). As you can see, I have also started work on an underground system ("The Hub-Way" >.>), which looks somewhat dirty, and somewhat in a state of disrepair, I'll be adding flickering lights and things. The idea is that later we can add more stations to other parts of the map when they exist, to allow you to cross it rapidly.

Here is the more ambitious part of my concept; The buildings in these slums are actually just the bases of skyscrapers. There would be turbo lifts going up to the high levels, where there will be bridges, walkways and sky-monorails making up an upmarket area where the rich live, work and shop. I'm not sure how technically possible it will be to have such areas, what with potential giant vis-areas. It might be possible to have fake lifts which actually take you to a different area which appears to be the tops of the same buildings? Either way, I imagine other mappers will have very different ideas for what they want to do, so it may well not come up anyway. I will probably include the areas I had in mind for the upper areas in the map, and if it becomes awkward to incorporate them as I had in mind, they can be worked in some other way or simply be cut from the map.

I also have a few questions regarding trains, which I suspect will be best answered by @@MoonDog , @@Szico VII and other script wizards. Is it possible to have a train with opening doors? That is to say, the train will move, along with its doors to a station, the train will then stop, and the doors then open, and close after a delay before the train departs again. The trains will probably travel in a straight line.

Oh also, I could potentially write/record some music for the map later on if people want. Thoughts on that?

[/giant post]

@@MUG That is an extremely cool concept. I'm impressed! As Szico said, the opening doors train is certainly possible, and actually quite easy. I'm not sure how he'd do it (probably some ingenious wizardy way), but the easiest way imho seems to have the doors and the trains be different func_statics, and let them have different ref_tags, and write different scripts for their movement. Their movement is basically exactly the same, until they arrive at a station, at which point the doors move/rotate with different ref_tags as a base. I've thought about implementing a similar system for an underwater transport line for one of my projects in the past.

@@MoonDog, imho a poison system would be either appropriate in some kind of special room, or in some extremely bad circumstances in the lower and poorer neighbourhoods. In fact, the poison and @@MUG's idea kind of remind of of KOTOR's Taris lower areas. Zombeh, anyone?

@@Pande, Read your post in the other topic. Updated the schedule for you (and myself) in the main post of this topic (keeping stuff in one place). Does march 11th-17th work for you? I also switched myself with someone else (think it was magsul) since I have the same exam period that I had not considered. I would go sooner, but I also have some essay deadlines and a trip to Copenhagen coming up.

How about some more 'modern' (or postmodern or whatever) kind of light/glow//video based billboards? Paper is SO 1988 :P. Perhaps some ads for some non-existing weapons/arms manufacturers/corporations? Depends on how dark our future is going to become really...

How about some more 'modern' (or postmodern or whatever) kind of light/glow//video based billboards? Paper is SO 1988 :P. Perhaps some ads for some non-existing weapons/arms manufacturers/corporations? Depends on how dark our future is going to become really...

Sounds good. Mayhaps someone can make a shader I can apply which adds that starwarsy blue fuzz effect to the billboards?

Loving it! I can see why giving you an extra week of sorts (coincidentally) turns out to not be a bad idea at all! :D

edit: I believe there actually a glowing track shader of sorts somewhere. Can't recall where it is exactly, but the texture/shader's name was rail_light_inside. Shouldn't be too hard to find if you feel like using it. Looks like this (centre) 

yzu348g.jpg

Got the beginnings of the train done. Hopefully it will be good enough to go with the station xD I'll post screenshots of it SoonTM

Looks great. Im gonna have to work hard to follow your act when its my turn.

Thanks =P I've upped my game for this one. Not sure I will be able to produce more stuff of the same quality though xD I kinda lucked out and found myself making a design that really worked immediately. It usually takes me a few complete redos to make something I am happy with.

Nice speed too btw. You work fairly fast.

I tend to work in bursts, where I will produce a lot of stuff over a couple of days and then burn out and not do anything for ages. Hopefully I will be able to keep it up long enough to get a couple of other areas done, but I can feel my energies beginning to run out xD. I guess I can take a few days off and return to it for another area as I have an extra half week though.