Free Radical's Battlefront IV concept characters

Some concept arts for Free Radical's cancelled Battlefront IV have been released.

Because the amount of pictures is very high (over 150), I'll put the link to the images here:

https://jkhub.org/albums/k3N2d

Here are some examples. Maybe some of the 150 will serve as good inspirations. What's fascinating is that the developers really turned the characters upside down.

They turned light side characters into dark side characters and vice versa.

0geSB99.jpg

2p1sJ0X.jpg

9abWc7P.jpg

Jedi Maul

NuqKz2r.jpg

Jedi Ventress

NpRa35J.jpg

I've always wanted to see a Jedi Leia, it pisses me off so much that she isn't a Jedi in these Disney films.

They could have given her an ability to command troops from a distance, like meditation / seeing into the future to lay out real time strategies and relay info to the troops. That would've made up for the lack of Luke in TFA.

They could have given her an ability to command troops from a distance, like meditation / seeing into the future to lay out real time strategies and relay info to the troops. That would've made up for the lack of Luke in TFA.

Battle Meditation, essentially. Making her more or less an older Bastila. Doesn't sound too bad.

Psyk0Sith likes this

I remember reading somewhere(Neogaf) that Free Radical Design was supposed to make a lightside vader and darkside Obiwan for Battlefront 4.(One user that claimed to be a ex- FRD employee): 

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star-wars-battlefront-iii-free-radical-design-version.469016/page-2

"My understanding, at the start of the project at least, was that LucasArts were very much aware of the popularity of the Battlefront games. There was talk and some conceptual work of Battlefront 4 (with the key hook being it taking place in alternate SW universes where you could have a Light-side Darth Vader or a Dark-side Obi Wan Kenobi etc.) and even talk of yearly instalments."

"There was a point where a variant of trooper called the Rainbow Trooper was proposed by someone quite high up on the LucasArts side."

Smoo likes this

These are badass, but seem kinda pointless even for a cancelled game - Jedi Leia and Maul? Sith Obi-Wan and Windu? When since did the BF games deal in multiverses and alternate timelines?

Also - Battlefront IV as in 4? They didn't even release a Battlefront 3! Why did they ever bother making concepts for Bf4? It seems like a fake, is all I'm saying :ph34r:

Tompa9 likes this

These are badass, but seem kinda pointless even for a cancelled game - Jedi Leia and Maul? Sith Obi-Wan and Windu? When since did the BF games deal in multiverses and alternate timelines?

Also - Battlefront IV as in 4? They didn't even release a Battlefront 3! Why did they ever bother making concepts for Bf4? It seems like a fake, is all I'm saying :ph34r:

Perhaps the Galaxy rolled a dice and ended up with a 1.

Maybe they planned ahead cause the Battlefront franchise at the time was very popular?

dg1995 and Lancelot like this

Originally Lucasarts thought that FRD will reach their 2008 deadline for Battlefront 3 and were satisfied with their progress. So they decided to green light Battlefront 4. But then one year later , FRD was behind the schedule for Battlefront 3 which made LA to cancel BF 4 and then 3.

It's not fake. Both FRD co Founder and that LA employee have already stated that BF 4 was in pre production.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/former-lucasarts-employee-on-why-star-wars-battlefront-iii-failed/1100-6400936/

IqfhtGT.jpg

Wah-e-ow! :o

Actually, I wouldn't say no to this Maul, even though he looks absolutely nothing like Maul. I can understand it was what the guys were going for, but tattoos or not, at least get his face right, geez! (had to place everything under spoiler because pics are just too damn big <_<)

NuqKz2r.jpg

This one looks like a punk Luke with horns in Obi-Wan robes :D

Though would still make a pretty nice player model for RP and stuff.

oBFR1lW.jpg

The first one here looks like a mix of Maul, Luke and Hellboy :lol:

But I do like these concepts! Though the second one's facepaint and the gray flaps are kinda meh. The third one reminds me of one of the original Maul concepts, the one in golden sith-y armor, you know the one.

IH74fib.jpg

Those head options though! Really badass!

FQQ6Si4.jpg

This Jedi Leia looks way better than the other ones, especially than the one featured in TFU1. I'd change the boots though, as these look impractical.

hchpZiC.jpg

Oooh, what I would do to either of these Leias! Very fetish, much sexy, so wow! Though the armors look like something straight out of TOR (especially the third one on the first pic)

Most of these designs are really cool, though I have to agree, some do unnecessarily show skin

T1lg821.jpg

je5gc1x.jpg

csdYWl3.jpg

This Leia looks interesting, has a somewhat (Middle-)Eastern/ belly-dancer look. The shirt I kinda dislike, and the metal gloves are strange and don't fit the outfit overal, but the head options are really nice!

2W4xBSG.jpg

Zombie slave wookiee. But still, pretty cool!

9Wu1cdS.jpg

Other than the really pretty head drawings (the simple ponytail/ hair-bun option in pic one is a simple but nice touch), I can't say that I like these designs. Well, maybe bits here and there.

NpRa35J.jpg

A9xqEJJ.jpg

These Anakins/ Vaders look great! Simple, yet effective and well executed!

XAGGBwT.jpg

ocypWwU.jpg

And in general, these Obi-Wan (second) and Luke outfits are cool. The dark-side appearance, not so much - third Obi-Wan looks like Exar Kun and Luke looks like a cross between Darth Sion and Darth Bane.

f8iIC05.jpg

qyiovAy.jpg

Wasn't this guy supposed to have been a concept for the cancelled Kotor 3? :huh:

If not, I'm sure I saw him on DevianArt!

Pwo4wFF.jpg

Also, this would made a fine duel/ small (t)ffa map, methinks :rolleyes::ph34r::shifty:

pmzBLSp.jpg

ILE0zso.jpg