Location of melee damage tables? + Dark Forces mod updates!

Howdy all, long time lurker, first time poster. I typically have spent my days modding Battlefront, but recently just played through the whole Dark Forces saga and got back into modding JA. Anyway, I'm creating an unofficial update for the Dark Forces mod (which may be official if I get permission), and I'm trying to find out where the damage for melee is stored -- as in swing-your-fists melee. I thought it was g_weapons.cpp, but I didn't see any table values for melee there. It's so incredibly weak in the game and enemies move around so much that I feel like it needs to be addressed. For that matter, I think I'd like to enable g_debugmelee by default.

And on that note, I'm using VS 2003 to compile since I'd like to keep it Xbox-compatible should I find the XDK. I'm still a console gamer in many ways, and we use old Xboxes for "LAN" game nights since it's cheap and efficient to carry them. So while I'm definitely willing to look into OpenJK for any improvements made, I have to merge that back into the vanilla codebase.

Finally, I suppose I should lay out what's already done for my unofficial patch, and get some opinions on some things:

• Kyle can now be customized in the datapad menu. It uses the team skins from the original model by Infinity Blade, the awesome JK jacketed Kyle by GPChannel and a goatee head by me. Permission is pending from the authors
  • The customization tab is access where the MAP tab was (now called CHAR). The map tab didn't work anyway, so why not, right?
  • Rather than taking up two keys for explosives (since JA maps all to one key), I.M. Mines have been merged with the Thermal Detonators on the 4 key
  • The Bryar Pistol's secondary fire has returned
  • The Concussion Rifle now properly uses the model the team made for it
  • The Disruptor Rifle now occupies the 7 key. More on that in the section below
  • "Unsupported levels" section has been added. This simply is a way to look around the incomplete BSPs in-game. Levels included are Jabba's Ship, Nar Shaddaa, and the Factory on the ice planet, Anteevy.
  • Melee is now enabled by default at startup and mapped to the 1 key. I might use a more robust version with the g_debugmelee var, but I have to remember how it works
  • Textures have been added to two of those levels from the source files (no Nar textures unfortunately)
  • It's minor, but I've added in robotics.map to the DF Mod source files (found it via the Wayback Machine on the original mod site). I plan to upload it here and hopefully a staff member can just update the original zip as this .map file wasn't included.

Now, some things I need an opinion/guidance on:

• GUIDANCE NEEDED: know with Blender you can kitbash a single part to replace another part on a model, but can you add via kitbashing? I'd love to add JO Kyle's head and body to the Kyle customizer
  • OPINION NEEDED: I was thinking of having the Disruptor be a secret item somewhere in the sewers level. It's not an Imperial thing, and I could see Moff Rebus having one lying around. It would make it more useful as it'd appear earlier on.
  • OPINION NEEDED: I thought of possibly mapping all projectile weapons to 2-9 keys, with all explosives on 0. In this case I'd move the Disruptor to 4. That would fix the weapon progression without a lot of source code changes
  • HELP NEEDED: Is anyone willing to texture the Assault Cannon? It's got a nice map laid out, so building a texture over it should be easy (areas are all numbered)
  • OPINION NEEDED: Jabba's Ship is void of enemies, but it's one of the more complete unfinished levels. Would people be offended if I put a rancor in there since we don't have a kell dragon? It's low priority since the map isn't done, of course

I realize 99% of this is just for fun. It's actually not all that likely that the mod will spark back up, but who knows, right? Either way I'm enjoying having a project again!

Pics to come!

Howdy all, long time lurker, first time poster. I typically have spent my days modding Battlefront, but recently just played through the whole Dark Forces saga and got back into modding JA. Anyway, I'm creating an unofficial update for the Dark Forces mod (which may be official if I get permission), and I'm trying to find out where the damage for melee is stored -- as in swing-your-fists melee. I thought it was g_weapons.cpp, but I didn't see any table values for melee there. It's so incredibly weak in the game and enemies move around so much that I feel like it needs to be addressed. For that matter, I think I'd like to enable g_debugmelee by default.

And on that note, I'm using VS 2003 to compile since I'd like to keep it Xbox-compatible should I find the XDK. I'm still a console gamer in many ways, and we use old Xboxes for "LAN" game nights since it's cheap and efficient to carry them. So while I'm definitely willing to look into OpenJK for any improvements made, I have to merge that back into the vanilla codebase.

Finally, I suppose I should lay out what's already done for my unofficial patch, and get some opinions on some things:

• Kyle can now be customized in the datapad menu. It uses the team skins from the original model by Infinity Blade, the awesome JK jacketed Kyle by GPChannel and a goatee head by me. Permission is pending from the authors
  • The customization tab is access where the MAP tab was (now called CHAR). The map tab didn't work anyway, so why not, right?
  • Rather than taking up two keys for explosives (since JA maps all to one key), I.M. Mines have been merged with the Thermal Detonators on the 4 key
  • The Bryar Pistol's secondary fire has returned
  • The Concussion Rifle now properly uses the model the team made for it
  • The Disruptor Rifle now occupies the 7 key. More on that in the section below
  • "Unsupported levels" section has been added. This simply is a way to look around the incomplete BSPs in-game. Levels included are Jabba's Ship, Nar Shaddaa, and the Factory on the ice planet, Anteevy.
  • Melee is now enabled by default at startup and mapped to the 1 key. I might use a more robust version with the g_debugmelee var, but I have to remember how it works
  • Textures have been added to two of those levels from the source files (no Nar textures unfortunately)
  • It's minor, but I've added in robotics.map to the DF Mod source files (found it via the Wayback Machine on the original mod site). I plan to upload it here and hopefully a staff member can just update the original zip as this .map file wasn't included.

Now, some things I need an opinion/guidance on:

• GUIDANCE NEEDED: know with Blender you can kitbash a single part to replace another part on a model, but can you add via kitbashing? I'd love to add JO Kyle's head and body to the Kyle customizer
  • OPINION NEEDED: I was thinking of having the Disruptor be a secret item somewhere in the sewers level. It's not an Imperial thing, and I could see Moff Rebus having one lying around. It would make it more useful as it'd appear earlier on.
  • OPINION NEEDED: I thought of possibly mapping all projectile weapons to 2-9 keys, with all explosives on 0. In this case I'd move the Disruptor to 4. That would fix the weapon progression without a lot of source code changes
  • HELP NEEDED: Is anyone willing to texture the Assault Cannon? It's got a nice map laid out, so building a texture over it should be easy (areas are all numbered)
  • OPINION NEEDED: Jabba's Ship is void of enemies, but it's one of the more complete unfinished levels. Would people be offended if I put a rancor in there since we don't have a kell dragon? It's low priority since the map isn't done, of course

I realize 99% of this is just for fun. It's actually not all that likely that the mod will spark back up, but who knows, right? Either way I'm enjoying having a project again!

Pics to come!

Wh-Wh-What!? *Screams gibberish in a happy way.* :D This is awesome, dude! :D

2003 isn't supported by OpenJK plus the Xbox code is illegal thus was stripped and may not even have compiled what did exist because it was official SDK not xna.

I realize 2003 wouldn't be supported. As far as the Xbox code, I've already stripped out Vicarious Visions' code so it runs on PK3 files instead of GOB. That being said I'm not here to make waves, so I'll probably just scrap thoughts on future Xbox builds, or keep them private to myself if I bother to build anything further.

Xbox doesn't really have a homebrew system for you to author the CDs unfortunately so I would consider that a bust, unless you were to somehow author a modified JA CD.

You can run everything from the hard drive, which is what I do for mods I've done for other games (see below for footage from my Star Wars: Battlefront II Xbox mod). But like I said, I don't want to make waves. If it's against policy that's fine. I just look at it as a totally "dead" system given that no game has been released for it since 2010 and the original Xbox LIVE went down the same year. Either way I'll abide by the rules.

So as an update for Dark Forces I went in and compiled the remaining BSPs from the source files.

• Executor -- looks like a straight-up port of the original architecture. It was probably just a stand-in for future work. It's very incomplete.
  • Nar Shaddaa -- no additional progress was made between the six level demo and the release of the source files
  • Jabba's Ship -- no new progress either, but this one has a lot to explore if you noclip
  • Imperial City -- has just the initial landing pad
  • Ramses Hed -- looks about 75% complete. The initial outdoor area is missing, and the last section actually getting onto the ship is, too. That being said it has basic enemy placement done and somewhat complete architecture otherwise.

Cool to see you coming over to JA @@Teancum, I came back some time ago from SWBF1&2 because this game is so much more modder friendly.

I'm actually looking to resurrect the DF2 mod, lmk if you need any help.

Sounds interesting. I got to thinking about that the other day. Biggest hurdle I see there is all the swimming during the campaign. After finishing JO for the first time a few months ago I have to say the swimming in JO/JA is sub-par at best. Wouldn't be too terribly difficult to code in a call for several more complex swimming animations provided they could actually be animated. I haven't looked into enabling weapons underwater, that might be more complex.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

@@Teancum Welcome! I played the dark force mod and i was pretty disappinted that the project is stop because really it was a wonferful mod for JK3. if you can continue this job sure you're are a modding hero! :D

for your question about melees... i learned a lot of SP code for making a conversion of JKA related to legacy of kain saga. now i am focused on  mapping \ terrain of nosgoth, but i learn a lot of things about code.

also if i know how to add new weapons and force power on SP, and i also wrote some tutorial in the tutorial section of this site,

i never really understand the melee damage code. for me too, is too much letal hitted by the enemies, and too much weak punched by the  player.

i've tryed to hacked the melee damage into the code, but with not much success. as you, i not know where is allocate the damage into SP code of the WP_MELEE. : \

it's not on weapon.h it's define the damage of NPC shooting weapons.

also there is not something like wp_melee.cpp or fx_melee.cpp file for understanding that.

pretty odd code stuff.

I hope someone else can help about that.

: \

Teancum and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Sounds interesting. I got to thinking about that the other day. Biggest hurdle I see there is all the swimming during the campaign. After finishing JO for the first time a few months ago I have to say the swimming in JO/JA is sub-par at best. Wouldn't be too terribly difficult to code in a call for several more complex swimming animations provided they could actually be animated. I haven't looked into enabling weapons underwater, that might be more complex.

I could swear I've seen the code for a swim backward animation. But for what it's worth I doubt it's that much of a challenge to add the code for additional swimming animations. Same goes for underwater weapons, as ensiform mentioned they all work, including the lightsaber, if properly flagged.

Another thing that really bothers me about water in Jedi Academy is the horrible blue tint splattered all over the screen when underwater.

Best thing to do is to use jk enhanced as your base, as that has alot of new features. My DF2 mod first person melee was MD3 and was very crap compared to what can be done with ghoul2 viewmodels.

I should probably look into that. My only complaint is the remapping of saber throw as a force power, but that's easily enough reverted. Is there a GitHub link to the JA Enhanced source? Also I think I saw your GitHub link in one of the JK threads (I think it's funny you guys call it DF2 -- I'm old school so it's JK to me). Is it the /DT85/OpenJK link?

Also, just to let everyone know, I'll probably hold off with source code mods until I get the content mods I want to do for DF done. Don't want to spread myself too thin.

I actually downloaded the source files for the DF mod to take a look, in hopes of perhaps (one day) trying to create the missing levels, I don't think I'm near a point right now I could do it without outside help but I have some confidence so far in my skill.

Hard to believe that the original game only uses up 71mb of space on a hard drive, that's insanely small compared to games today that take up several gig.

MB2 Beta Tester / MB2 FA Assistant Dev

So as an update for Dark Forces I went in and compiled the remaining BSPs from the source files.

• Executor -- looks like a straight-up port of the original architecture. It was probably just a stand-in for future work. It's very incomplete.
  • Nar Shaddaa -- no additional progress was made between the six level demo and the release of the source files
  • Jabba's Ship -- no new progress either, but this one has a lot to explore if you noclip
  • Imperial City -- has just the initial landing pad
  • Ramses Hed -- looks about 75% complete. The initial outdoor area is missing, and the last section actually getting onto the ship is, too. That being said it has basic enemy placement done and somewhat complete architecture otherwise.

swimming animations... perhaps I could give it a go in my mocap suit in the near future... not in water of course.
Teancum likes this

Updates:

1. Nobody seems opposed to it, so I think I'll just put the Disruptor on key 4, Mortar Gun on 7, Concussion Rifle on 8, Assault Cannon on 9, and explosives all on 0. Using some weapons.dat trickery I won't need to mess with the source code to fix the weapon scroll order (next/previous weapon buttons). --- that is unless you have cheats enabled and use give_all, then obviously a few things *could* be out of place
  2. Did a lot of texture patching in Jabba's Ship. It looks a lot better now. Still no enemies as of yet. Just learning Radiant since, in the end, what we seem to be short on in the community is mappers.

I wouldn't bother with my df2 code, it's very out of date and jk enhanced does a lot more.

Yeah, I thought using the g_debugmelee to create some sort of combo system might work better. After all, even as a mercenary Kyle should know how to take down thugs with more than just a punch.

Asgarath83 and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Yeah, I thought using the g_debugmelee to create some sort of combo system might work better. After all, even as a mercenary Kyle should know how to take down thugs with more than just a punch.

In regards to melee fight, I experimented a bit by giving the Dianoga the wampa class, so that it can grab you, much like in A New Hope, and replace the "grabbed" animation with one of the "fall" poses. But it seems to need some right hand tags to work properly. Also, not sure how the player would get unhooked, since I assume it would be pretty hard to hit it badly enough.

Updates:

1. Nobody seems opposed to it, so I think I'll just put the Disruptor on key 4, Mortar Gun on 7, Concussion Rifle on 8, Assault Cannon on 9, and explosives all on 0. Using some weapons.dat trickery I won't need to mess with the source code to fix the weapon scroll order (next/previous weapon buttons). --- that is unless you have cheats enabled and use give_all, then obviously a few things *could* be out of place
  2. Did a lot of texture patching in Jabba's Ship. It looks a lot better now. Still no enemies as of yet. Just learning Radiant since, in the end, what we seem to be short on in the community is mappers.

With "iknowkungfu" cheat on JKA the player can get melee attack. hitting mouse 1 + mouse 2 button (attack + alt attack) is possible to catch enemy and at second of direction of grabbing you can execute three funny combos of kata XD

first combo: various punch on hips and jaw of enemy. enemy knockdowned

second combo: kyle take the enemy for a leg and slam on the floor, here and there, pretty funny XD

third combo: Kyle make some kind of "chuck norris grip" with his elbow and at the end throwing away his opponent. this is the best funny of alls. XDDD

the trouble is that: also these kata have a ridiculous damage. : \

Teancum likes this

Yeah, I get why they made a "sword", but in the end I'd rather just have it be a lightsaber and only available via cheat codes. That way people can have their fun, but we lock it out for the purists out there. What that means, though, is that in the end the source code will need to be modified so the fists are the starting weapon. Not a big priority now, but definitely something I wanna do. I'm even okay without force powers, but I want to hack down some back guys, too.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this