Realistic Stormtrooper Stances

Hey, guys I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in making new shooting stances for jka? 

I figured it would be pretty clever to copy the shooting stances the stormtroopers did in Dark Forces. It would also be great to add a new more "natural" pistol stance" as well.

*References*

169972-header.jpg

dfstormfin.png

*I think it would also be awesome to add a walking animation like this:

Stormtrooper.jpg

What do you guys think?

DT., Boothand, CaptainCrazy and 4 others like this

I suppose one could make a mod, where the stormtrooper runs off its own GLA and you can have his stances/shoot animations without altering the main GLA for everything else.

@@ensiform

Do you know what causes this in MP: 'unable to load unsupported model "hazardtrooper" (missing bones or animation)' Is it simply the fact that it uses its own GLA?

What I really hate about Jedi Academy is the lack of animations. The majority of NPC's are using the same animations,

which looks a little bit monotonous. I mean, it's looks weird when the Stormtroopers (and other NPC's) are running with a blaster rifle as

if it was a blaster pistol. Concerning animations in general, this game needs to be enhanced.

MP only allows you to use the original humanoid for players.

With some adjustments to the source code, everything is possible ;) .

McGroose and Mizore like this

It's going to require both code and animation work even for SP because the gun stance is just an UPPER sequence that blends with the standing animation for the legs, it would need to be made into a BOTH sequence before it could be done which would destroy online play keeping it a pure SP only modification.

The animation part is stupid easy, with my biped it could be done with a few hours of work tops to create all the animations like a few stances, walk and run.

Bek likes this

What I really hate about Jedi Academy is the lack of animations. The majority of NPC's are using the same animations,

which looks a little bit monotonous. I mean, it's looks weird when the Stormtroopers (and other NPC's) are running with a blaster rifle as

if it was a blaster pistol. Concerning animations in general, this game needs to be enhanced.

With some adjustments to the source code, everything is possible ;) .

I know what your'e talking about the shooting animations and running animations look plain stupid, it's like when the creators of the game started making  the game they made sure the animations were as weird as possible, that's why I think jka was rushed.

My ideas for proper animations are:

- Make them move like the classic Stormtroopers, not like the Clones.

- In my opinion, A New Hope is the best source to get a "feel" for the movements,

especially in the opening sequence and the Death Star scenes.

- The recoil/flinching animation of the Stormtroopers using the flechette launcher (and rocket launcher)

needs to be toned down. It looks just awkward.

- If I recall correctly, some Stormtroopers are jumping. Not like they should jump,

they jump as if they don't wear any armor.

As you can see, the Stormtroopers are needing a complete overhaul.

Bek likes this

It was @@OlgO , who made new animations for our stormtroopers in DP. However in the screenshot above it's actually the eyes positions which are I am far more curious about - JA characters usually move the whole head instead of just their eyes. So I would like to hear more on that from @@minilogoguy18

=)

Would love to see character's eyes follow you. It would be one refreshing change.

Would love to see character's eyes follow you. It would be one refreshing change.

I think the engine itself can't handle that, I was reading that valve's Half Life 2 engine was able to do that, but not the first one they had used for Half Life, because it was so old. I would assume the Quake 3 engine, that came out 2 to 3 years after Half life1 would not be capable of this,but I'm not so sure.

The eyes have bones though in the base _humanoid.gla, it probably just needs coding. Remember, the source engine is just a heavily modified Q3 engine, if they could do it than so can we as we have the source to this engine.

I never got this animation in game, just made it to show in another thread how one could use my biped rig that I made for JA to make a stance in mere minutes.

Lancelot, Cerez and Bek like this

The eye bones are used for eyelid movement. For some reason when Raven ported their SoF2 skeleton over to JO, they removed the eyelid bones (as well as several other facial bones) at compile time. It's quite easy to add them back, but OpenJK (I say OpenJK because it'd be stupid to have a separate project just for a new GLA conversion table) would have to adopt the new GLA and create conversion tables for base JKA/JO rigged models to run off the new GLA which will break nothing. I've done this in a test, but with only converting JKA models as I couldn't put more than 1 table in due to my n00bness.

I've done some research for this for my 3dsMax head rig controls. Eye and head movements are inter-related and complex... typically (when not staring) the eyes will lead the head as your eyes move to lock onto a new target-- as your eyes begin to reach their limit your head begins to rotate to compensate. In other sudden instances-- like a disturbance beyond your peripheral vision your head may turn rapidly with your eyes staying zeroed with respect to the head... and as the head approaches the look-at vector your eyes begin to lead the head.

When you're searching within a very small cone you tend to search with your eyes. If the eye movement gets larger, you're more likely to turn your head in the direction you're looking.

When you stare... you tend to keep your eyes zeroed and track with head movement. Then if your head/neck reaches a limit you'll continue to track with your eyes until your eyes hit their limit (this assumes you keep your body locked still). There's also something called Saccade movement of the eyes where they kind of randomly dart around in small increments about a constant look-at vector. I'm going from memory... since I don't have my notes.

Omicron, Cerez and Boothand like this

I definitely think that is something OpenJK should adopt DT, especially if it can be done without breaking the games compatibility in MP.

Makes me wonder if the same thing is possible with JK2 models that don't wield dual sabers properly, the bone is in the JK2 skeleton it just has a different name. Perhaps a conversion table could be made as well to allow JK2 models to work properly in JA.

Cerez, Sithani, Omicron and 1 other like this