New Jedi Knight Jedi Academy

Everyone is going to have a different opinion of what made JK2/A good and would rather see things go a different way.

For instance, take a similarly polarizing situation: the JK2 movie. They used animations and models ripped straight from the game instead of providing their own. What they found good about the game and want to capitalize on is different than what I would've done.

It's the same with a game. Some are invested in Kyle's story, some are invested in Jaden and his story, and still others don't care and would rather just have the same game but with better graphics. That's why there's never been a coherent push to create a project like this, because nobody properly knows what they want.

Personally I couldn't care less about modding and story as long as the multiplayer is good, even though I love both in JK2 and/or JKA. I still think it would be cool to have something like openArena for Jedi Academy but I doubt it will happen. Needs too many new assets.

Ping and Wasa like this

Everyone is going to have a different opinion of what made JK2/A good and would rather see things go a different way.

For instance, take a similarly polarizing situation: the JK2 movie. They used animations and models ripped straight from the game instead of providing their own. What they found good about the game and want to capitalize on is different than what I would've done.

It's the same with a game. Some are invested in Kyle's story, some are invested in Jaden and his story, and still others don't care and would rather just have the same game but with better graphics. That's why there's never been a coherent push to create a project like this, because nobody properly knows what they want.

Who's Jaden? The kyle skin i've seen of course but it isn't that good anyway.

Why?

The only reason jk2 and jka were good were because they used quake 3 engine (the best engine). idk why you would want to change.

Wut? Quake 3 is a terribly out of date engine, still uses bsp map format for goodness sake, to say nothing of it's decade old rendering techniques. It's an awful engine by today's standards.

JKG Developer

• 2 weeks later...

Wut? Quake 3 is a terribly out of date engine, still uses bsp map format for goodness sake, to say nothing of it's decade old rendering techniques. It's an awful engine by today's standards.

You are of course correct,but if you play battlefront EA/DICE version as a saber wielder (jedi/sith)..Then play JKA  as a saber wielder (jedi/sith),The difference is unbelievable.Playing The newest most up to date engine like Battlefront is like going back in time 10/15 years.The "ONLY" thing these new engines have going for them is the ability to render beautiful graphics.The Game play its self is utterly ridiculousness.These new engines are built for one purpose only.Generating profit at the cost of quality game play. Then suckering you in to buying  a DLC every 4 months,practically buying the same shit over and over again.

Never mind directional blocking,rolling or even using your hands for anything other than holding your weapon.You can not even swing your saber in a direction of your choice. Darkforces 1 was more technical and advanced than any of the newest engines being used today.The Quake engine is far more superior than any of the available engines out today,except for the ability to render massive flashy effects to dazzle the masses.

JKA is still the most advanced game play engine and its a shame to say that after so many years,but these new engines are devolving at a geometric rate.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfURGI2xCto&t=5s

For the most part, the engine doesn't have any impact on the gameplay. The fact that the sabering is overly simplified in Battefront, compared to JKA, is a gameplay design choice made explicitly by DICE.

@@JaceSolarisVIII This.

You are of course correct,but if you play battlefront EA/DICE version as a saber wielder (jedi/sith)..Then play JKA  as a saber wielder (jedi/sith),The difference is unbelievable.Playing The newest most up to date engine like Battlefront is like going back in time 10/15 years.The "ONLY" thing these new engines have going for them is the ability to render beautiful graphics.The Game play its self is utterly ridiculousness.These new engines are built for one purpose only.Generating profit at the cost of quality game play. Then suckering you in to buying  a DLC every 4 months,practically buying the same shit over and over again.

Never mind directional blocking,rolling or even using your hands for anything other than holding your weapon.You can not even swing your saber in a direction of your choice. Darkforces 1 was more technical and advanced than any of the newest engines being used today.The Quake engine is far more superior than any of the available engines out today,except for the ability to render massive flashy effects to dazzle the masses.

JKA is still the most advanced game play engine and its a shame to say that after so many years,but these new engines are devolving at a geometric rate.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfURGI2xCto&t=5s

That has nothing to do with the engine, and everything to do with how they deliberately designed their game.  Sounds like you have a misunderstanding about what game engines are for vs game design.

A little history is in order, in the past making a video game was usually done from scratch, using nothing, but code, a compiler, and some assets (think like sound or image files).  This is all very fine and well until you start wanting games more complicated then side stroller space ship shooters, and asteroids.  When you start wanting features like:

• 3d enviroments
  • realistic physics
  • particle systems
  • accurate reflections
  • high quality and accurate shadow rendering
  • realistic real time lighting
  • dynamic weather systems
  • scripting input/plugins
  • realistic randomly generated terrain
  • AI routing and behavior system
  • Menu generation
  • massively sized maps
  • post processing effects
  • location based audio and audio processing effects
  • supporting a wide variety of file formats (images, 3d models
  • middleware for communication between multiple rendering apis (eg: opengl and directx)

etc. Things quickly get very complicated.  So how are you supposed to do this alone?  You don't.  You get a group of programmers and other developers and make a game engine that is multipurpose and does all of those things and probably more.  Then since such a program is expensive and hard to develop you make it easy to use and then sell it to other game developers for profit.  Maybe as a licensed product.

Hence then we get game engines like Cryengine, Unreal, Frostbite, Unity, etc.

Game Engines are more of a platform you build your game on, then the game itself.  Quake3 is not a great engine (from a 2016 standpoint).  There's so many things it can't do and perhaps more importantly it isn't easy to generate new content for it.  (For example the map editor is a completely separate bundle (GTK Radiant) that offers very limited WYSIWYG functionality and you still have to wait for it to compile the lighting for it before you can test it out in the game itself).

Making a game like Jedi Academy, with directional based lightsaber combat, etc. is definitely possible in other engines.  For example, look at Kingdom Come Deliverance's combat on Cryengine.  Applies a lot of the same basic combat principles from JKA, but with a lot of realistic restrictions specific to what that game wants to feel like.

I agree though that Battlefield's combat (lightsaber combat in particular) is lackluster, boring and targeted at being casual and easy to pick up.  Not much effort was put into the design and it is unsurprisingly boring.

Smoo likes this

JKG Developer

Sorry if I get out of the topic a little, my girlfriend just started playing lately a game that is around 2003 / 2005 I believe the name is Syberia. If the developers of SW JK:JKA have used this engine instead of the one from Quake 3, maybe just maybe the game would have been more successful and loved. This graphics are amazing for the year that Syberia was released. There is a topic for a new engine in progress in here you can check it and also there are people much more experienced than me and will explain it better :)

I don't see anything special about that engine that makes it stand out beyond Q3 engine to warrant them to choose so.  Besides, Raven was one of many id software friends back in the day so it was pretty much a given since they worked together before.  Heretic was Raven software using quake 1 engine for example.

Smoo and dark_apprentice like this

Q3 Engine was amazing for its time, many great games were based on it. It isn't the engine's fault for the game dying out.

That's right. The reason why Jedi Academy has "failed" was not the engine, but the lack of content. Without the Jedi Knight community, this game

would have been forgotten about two years after its release.

Personally, I don't wish a new Jedi Academy. But I really like it when somebody is trying to enhance the experience of the game.

Smoo, Teancum and dark_apprentice like this
  • 4 weeks later...

JK5 you mean :ph34r:

Seeing all these remakes, reboots and sequels of old game series that happened in the last years or are about to be released (System Shock, Thief, Quake, Unreal, Deus Ex, Battlefront, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein, Turok etc) I kinda begin to think that a reboot of Jedi Knight wouldn't even be that unlikely. Not a sequel (who want's to continue a 15 year old story?) but a completely new game with some references to the old games. Not saying that this is happening but if anything I expect a reboot.

TheWhitePhoenix and Smoo like this

JK5 you mean :ph34r:

Seeing all these remakes, reboots and sequels of old game series that happened in the last years or are about to be released (System Shock, Thief, Quake, Unreal, Deus Ex, Battlefront, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein, Turok etc) I kinda begin to think that a reboot of Jedi Knight wouldn't even be that unlikely. Not a sequel (who want's to continue a 15 year old story?) but a completely new game with some references to the old games. Not saying that this is happening but if anything I expect a reboot.

Yeah i'd see a reboot more happening, since the old story is now non-canon. Hope they can come up with a decent story though.