Is a new Jedi Knight reboot possible?

So the EU has now been completely wiped off the table by Disney, and with it goes the Jedi Knight series. Fun games, but what can ya do eh? Now that the Star Wars  universe is being rebooted with the new movie, tv series, and so on, I wonder if the Jedi Knight series might be rebooted as well, with a new title created by some external game studio licensed by Disney. It has been many years since JKA, but the JK franchise was quite popular in its heyday, and I would imagine that a reboot might be quite popular.

I havent heard, well, any discussion about the possibility of this on these forums. What do you think? If a new Jedi Knight game was released, would you be interested in it?

Smoo likes this

I still think JK series will be made canon. The Dark Forces games were too popular to just ignore. Same with the KOTOR and SWTOR games. EA is still making content for SWTOR, which is a good sign. Disney could have terminated that contract with EA/Bioware but they didn't.

We will find out for sure when the first Anthology film releases, as it's supposed to be about the stealing of the Death Star plans (I think?), which was Kyle Katarn's job in DF.

I think a reboot could happen. A remade Dark Forces would be immensely popular, in my opinion.

I doubt they will ever make these games canon and I don't think they will want to limit their options when it comes to the story of the new movies just because of some old games. It's millions of dollars versus some fans of a 15 year old gaming series.

It's sad, but I actually think Disney irretrievably buried the JK series when they decided to make everything but the movies non-canon. In fact, I don't think we will ever see any kind of character from the games in one of the new movies.

Things will become really weird when you're a fan of the books/comics/games and a completely different story happens in the movies.

Maybe I'm wrong though...(hopefully)

The day we know more about the future of the JK series and the anthology films and everything is completely different than I just explained, please quote this post and tell me how stupid I was. It will be a good day for all of us.

On the other hand I'm not even sure if a new JK game would be actually fun to play. It probably would be some kind of new TFU.

NumberWan, Darth Sion and Bek like this

On the other hand I'm not even sure if a new JK game would be actually fun to play. It probably would be some kind of new TFU.
This is my biggest worry and also the reason why I'm not excited about any future JK games at all. 

It's sad, but I actually think Disney irretrievably buried the JK series when they decided to make everything but the movies non-canon. In fact, I don't think we will ever see any kind of character from the games in one of the new movies.

Let it rest, then. Personally I prefer having Dark Forces and the JK series this way, holding a special place in my heart, instead of having them rebooted and butchered helplessly.

eezstreet likes this

So why doesn't every last JKA modder band together and remake it on UE4? It's obvious that Disney won't do it. We would have every development area covered if we ALL join together.

Forget it. There's way too many cooks in one kitchen for that to happen. Too many differing views on what the game should be. Or what game should even be done. Personally I'm more a fan of JK2 than JKA. What about the engine? Not a fan of UE4 either. However if you want my honest opinion, DF1 needs more of a remake than any of them. It can't even run on modern machines.

NumberWan, Syko, Circa and 1 other like this

True, I forgot about that. I personally don't like UE4 either, but is there any better options that are available now? I dunno, maybe I should give Star Wars on Source engine another crack though all we have right now is Source 1.

True, I forgot about that. I personally don't like UE4 either, but is there any better options that are available now? I dunno, maybe I should give Star Wars on Source engine another crack though all we have right now is Source 1.

@@Raz0r has this slick game engine thing

I doubt they will ever make these games canon and I don't think they will want to limit their options when it comes to the story of the new movies just because of some old games. It's millions of dollars versus some fans of a 15 year old gaming series.

Oh no, sorry I meant not making the JK series canon, but rebooting the Jedi Knight franchise with the same characters.

Ya, Disney isnt going to budge on making stuff from the old EU canon.

From a marketing perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense to create an entirely new game with new characters and label it a part of the Jedi Knight series (which has always been associated with Kyle Katarn), but I would love to see a modern take on the free-form gameplay mechanics (and lightsaber control) of JK in a new Star Wars game released with today's technologies. I think there is great potential in that.

If they could accomplish what they did with Quake 3, can you imagine what they could accomplish today?! Sword-fighting in a Star Wars video game could be taken to a whole new level, especially if care was taken to balance the mechanics well.

Mizore and BruceJohnJenner like this

@eezstreet

Actually it can. Even before GOG.com there were people, who managed to run this old game. It really does need an adaptation, visually and else. But a remake from a corporation has never been even 65% as good as the original. Usually in such case so many things are changed or even removed, that you get the feeling, that "something is not right".

Instead of a reboot, I would pay more attention to new products. Lucasarts hasn't been too generous about new games in like a decade now. According to mojo.com, since 2010 almost nothing eye-catching has been released, while they praised a lot the Dark Forces, Jedi Outcast, Republic Commando, Empire at War and surely KOTOR among a few others. All these are the children of 2000s, not 2010s... That's a signal.

Oh no, sorry I meant not making the JK series canon, but rebooting the Jedi Knight franchise with the same characters.

Ya, Disney isnt going to budge on making stuff from the old EU canon.

Well they will most likely focus on making games that are related to the new movies or at least related to the new canon that's why I figured:

JK = not canon means no new JK

There is hope, that some elements from EU will re-appear as the new canon. Or at least there will be a homage to what fans liked previously. Kyle Katarn might come back, but as a different character, like some Rebel general, who betrayed the Empire. And in the newer games, related to Rogue One, he might be the main source of information on the new weapon, created by the Empire. He might be even an officer, stationed at the Maw installation, but left the Empire, knowing of the project. And later focusing on the (now canon again) Dark troopers.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

All this canon and non-canon is driving me mad... <_< It's going to create such a chaos in Star Wars storytelling... Having the different characters take on the same role in the Star Wars timeline is the worst idea possible.

I can understand having to ignore some of the events in lesser known EU stories, but they should have at least kept the more prominent characters and events, like Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, the Solo kids, Ben Skywalker, and Luke's Yavin IV Jedi Academy. This way it's gonna be a big mess for anyone who's known Star Wars from the beginning.

But I'm taking this thread off topic... (I'm just so angry with how Disney managed this!)

George Lucas sold Star Wars, let's not forget that.

The stories of he EU, they were not all his creation, but ultimately they were approved by him, and they became well-known Star Wars lore. It is this tradition and lasting impact of the established lore on the fan-base that should be counted as "canon", not what the next movie director or production company randomly decides to make canon.

I don't know, whether G.Lucas did approve all the stories the way we expect him to do that, but he was at least aware of what was going on, saw the concepts. More important, most of the pre-2000 stories were created, taking into account the traditions, some of which had been established by Lucas himself. The Dark Jedi Jerec is speaking, moving and actually looks like as if he were in the Original trilogy. Kyle Katarn himself, though has a simple costume, was inspired by the classic characters of the Rebel Alliance.

Cerez likes this

I do not think they make other Jedi Knight, but they did could make a new series of simulator of jedi, from youngling to jedi grand master, with a improved lightsaber system of Jedi Academy, social relations of Mass Effect and Force powers similar to Advent Rising...

Darth Sion and Cerez like this