Star Wars Battlefront

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the battle of Jakku? Or some other location?

Rebels look a bit different there.

Personally the game doesn't make me feel like "Hey, I want to play that game!!!". I don't know why, because the graphics are beautiful, the characters are familiar and the SW traditions seem to be followed in this one.

We even see a Sullustan and a Rodian here. Isn't that great?

Probably I don't like the idea of seeing Battle of Hoth differently, it's like a rewriting of the already established story (yet not the same as canceling all EU or creating new canon).

But nevertheless I would like to try the game, and probably I would be thrilled to say much later "Hey, I played the new Battlefront and it was awesome!"

The Hoth trailer is terrible ! :wub:

However, I find the coop trailer is too... realistic to be the real game. I think it's an overhaul and not the real game.

There was a jetpack in the hoth trailer and in the coop trailer. I fear there will be too much jetpacks in the game. Battlefront is not Advanced Warfare and the jetpack was originally the Shadow and jet troopers special stuff.

AshuraDX likes this

The Hoth trailer is terrible ! :wub:

However, I find the coop trailer is too... realistic to be the real game. I think it's an overhaul and not the real game.

There was a jetpack in the hoth trailer and in the coop trailer. I fear there will be too much jetpacks in the game. Battlefront is not Advanced Warfare and the jetpack was originally the Shadow and jet troopers special stuff.

How is it terrible? It looked great. I think you used the wrong word there, judging from the emoticon you used. :P

Both trailers are real gameplay, played on a PS4. Those graphics are up to par with modern games, they definitely remind me of Battlefield Hardline graphics, which is on the same engine. Some of you might not realize that, who don't play many modern games, but graphics are very realistic now, and getting better and better each year.

MagSul, Sithani and DT. like this

Some of the Alliance's fleet assets shouldn't even be above Tatoonie or Hoth it should mainly be based on what we've seen in the movies and how it is depicted in the Rogue Squadron series.They need to get the lore right since there was no form of fleet preset at Hoth or Tatoonie until much later.Are they going for an early Alliance fleet seen in the Force Unleashed 2's Battle of Kamino or just an early fleet in general.

NumberWan likes this

I have to say Im definitely impressed by what they have shown us but still a bit skeptical about the class system they are using - I'd have loved to get some more info on that - especially the fact that everyone seems to have jump/jetpacks is odd to me

Some of the Alliance's fleet assets shouldn't even be above Tatoonie or Hoth it should mainly be based on what we've seen in the movies and how it is depicted in the Rogue Squadron series.They need to get the lore right since there was no form of fleet preset at Hoth or Tatoonie until much later.Are they going for an early Alliance fleet seen in the Force Unleashed 2's Battle of Kamino or just an early fleet in general.

The gameplay is staged, not meant to be accurate like that. Just like in previous Battlefront games, some details like that are wrong. The point is to have major battles between the two factions on familiar planets that are reminiscent of the actual battles, such as the Battle of Hoth. I'm sure they know the lore well, as they've showed they are big Star Wars fans, but getting every single detail right for every battle would be so tedious with little reward.

AshuraDX, Xycaleth and DT. like this

It is possible, that we see the maximum of the new Battlefront in the trailer. thus TIE fighters and Star Destroyers above Hoth, unlike the movies. And the duel between Vader and Luke - perhaps, these are for other missions, which haven't been shown just yet.

• 1 month later...

It's kinda funny to go through all of the early complaints about this game and then look at all that's been announced since that first trailer and see the moments a lot of people went "oh, well never mind then, that's pretty cool." However, the two things that I see remaining constant with complaints is the lack of space battles and prequel content.

In regards to space battles: the best and most exciting part about the space battles was the dogfighting. Chasing down other ships, evading missiles, evasive manuevers, all that jazz. I'm not discrediting the capital ship aspects, though. It was still fun! It made you feel like you were doing something important when you'd take out a ship's engines and sometimes board the ship and take it apart from the inside. 

Now, considering Battlefront 2015 is a reboot for a more modern audience, would this kind of gameplay hold up and stand out from the rest of the game?  The dogfights would be absolutely phenomenal with all these fancy graphical effects and whatnot. But let's say players opt more to end the match quicker by destroying the enemy capital ship's systems. Sure you could chip away at the ship's shields with proton torpedoes, but the quickest way to take out the ship would be to land in the hangar with a landing craft, send a bunch of pilots with time bombs into the different rooms and blow stuff up. Here's the thing, though- you're on the ground. I mean, you're in space on a capital ship, but you're on the ground.  Fighting as infantry. That kind of defeats the purpose of space battles being their own mode if you're going to be fighting the same way you would in conquest.

That's why I think EA chose not to include space battles and instead change it to Fighter Squadron. Dogfights only! It helps the mode stand out from the others because it's strictly vehicular combat as opposed to how the old space battles worked where the infantry combat was still an option. I think they're going to have more than enough modes for infantry combat situations, so this mode will provide a change of pace should one look for it.  Plus, the environments you'd see in atmospheric combat would be way cooler visually instead of the same space skybox with a different planet and a few capital ships spread out among them.

Lack of prequel content? This is something that's really gonna differ between person to person. Some people have that infamous prequel hatred that would make them go "NO PREQUEL GOOD FOR ME BECAUSE NO JAR JAR SEE THIS ORIGINAL JOKE I'M MAKING ABOUT HATING JAR JAR" and others would see this as a missed opportunity to recreate battles from the CW animated series. Others might not care. Personally, I would like to see Clone Wars content, but it doesn't make me want this game any less than I do. I think the game is trying to really cash in (ha ha is that an EA joke) on everyone's nostalgia for the original films since that's what a lot of people grew up with. The OT is also what more casual, less "involved" Star Wars fans are familiar with as well. We all (probably) have at least one friend who's seen the original three when they were younger but not the prequels. This OT-centric path DICE has gone down could be a choice they made so that anyone who has so much as an inkling of Star Wars knowledge can pick up the game and play it and say, "I got to be a stormtrooper!" Not as many people would immediately know what you'd mean when you say, "Yeah, I took out the Trade Federation" as much as they would when you said "Yeah, I took down the Empire!" The accessibility for all is what I think made them choose OT only.

tl;dr: Space battles like orignal BFII wouldn't stand out from other game modes in Battlefront 2015 and make it seem a bit less fun/varied, prequel content was cut to make the game more universally accessible with familiar locations and classic, culturally signficant characters

Circa likes this

I actually never thought of that possibility. I was thinking that this Battlefront might have some sort of DLC plan in place where it just becomes THE Star Wars battle game and eventually Episode VII content gets added beyond the Battle of Jakku, then Episode VIII, then IX, and somewhere on the way they'd release a Clone Wars DLC.

• 4 weeks later...