Star Wars Battlefront

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't catch the whole panel interview, but this article is interesting. No real "campaign" per se, but crafted missions that can be completed solo or co-op.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-17-star-wars-battlefront-has-40-player-cap

Sounds like a cool idea. The campaigns in the previous games were basically this anyway, minus co-op.

Also, the Battle of Jakku DLC will be free

gg EA

Still many people complaining about DLC, and we didn't actually see any gameplay footage. Regardless, the graphics look great.

I'm also fine with that there isn't a campaign, there really wasn't one in the original battlefront I and II either, they just put all the multiplayer maps into a story, but that doesn't make it much of a campaign. Also, apparently there will be a raft of modes that have different player caps, so it isn't just set at 40.

Some youtube comments:

+Ziggerath I may not either. There aren't even space battles in the game and it's only launching with 4 locations.  

40 players only No campaign DLC and microtransactions up the ass (this is EA we are talking about. This is in engine footage, meaning it wont look nearly this good. But the worse thing is that there are no space battles. Im sorry for being a fucking buzzkill, but why are people hyped for this? The first two were some of my favorites games of all time (still are, still play them). But this looks awful, for your sake and the sake of your wallet, I would recommend that you refrain from purchasing this. Thanks for reading this far in. Have a good day fellow Star Wars fan.
eezstreet likes this

This is in engine footage, meaning it wont look nearly this good.

This doesn't even make sense. They stated that everything in the trailer is from the game itself. So yes, it will look that good. 

40 players only?? That's a LOT of players. Why would you complain about that.

I didn't see anything about no space battles, but judging from the trailer, it looks like there will be vehicle battles. Maybe there will be space battles. Even if there aren't, who cares. Sounds like that guy is so in love with the originals that he's offended this isn't a 1:1 remake.

Its a new game, people. Not a remake.

This doesn't even make sense. They stated that everything in the trailer is from the game itself. So yes, it will look that good. 

40 players only?? That's a LOT of players. Why would you complain about that.

I didn't see anything about no space battles, but judging from the trailer, it looks like there will be vehicle battles. Maybe there will be space battles. Even if there aren't, who cares. Sounds like that guy is so in love with the originals that he's offended this isn't a 1:1 remake.

Its a new game, people. Not a remake.

Depends really. Is it 40 players total, or 40 per team? If it's per team, ya, that's more than enough. I would be fine with 20 per team on a small map, but if it's a large map with a huge battlefield, there needs to be more players.

Wow, that is one kickass trailer! :D

At first, when I saw screenshots of this, I thought it was snippets from the movie...

Obviously these are in-game, real-time rendered cutscenes, but the graphics are really advanced now, and approaching movie realism. Very-very impressive!

(Of course that means that I would have to get a PS4, and I'm not ready to replace my Xbox 360 just yet...)

Pretty poor preview and from reading around various sites a lot of people are rightfully disappointed. 

The trailer is very misleading.  Without a doubt the game visually looks incredible, but that really is the only thing we learned and even that is unreliable.  Many seem to have overlooked that it is in-engine footage and not in-game footage so many elements of the graphics could yet be 'turned down' or removed if necessary.  Also, this is another typical example of the old hook em with pretty graphics and explosions.  Just like special effects alone don't make a movie great, beautiful visuals cannot overcome rubbish gameplay.  How many recent games have we seen that look pretty but play poorly.

The interviews and post-preview information I've been reading is where things get disappointing.  Let's look at what we know about the gameplay:

* 1st and 3rd person (not bad, nice homage to the old Battlefront)

* 4 planets on release:  Tatooine, Sullust, Hoth, Endor  (I would presume there would have to be multiple maps for each because as a 'vanilla' release this would be appalling)

* At least 4 DLCs planned with the first one free (so hold back content on release to force people to pay for the full game as usual). 

* Prequel, Ep 7 content, possibly space battles likely held back until DLC releases (again pathetic)

* No classes (w t f)

* No conquest mode?

* No campaign just 'shared co-op' missions

* 40 player limit (again why?)

* No modding capability (not surprised but doesn't make it less sad)

* OP'd heroes feature in gameplay (I really wasn't a fan of this in Battlefront 2 but I suppose it's what the fans want)

* 3 primary weapon, 1 'pickup' slot.  No ammo, just 'overheated' when firing too much.  Pickups available across the map, e.g. one-shot RPG (absolute rubbish...)

We are six months out from release and still hearing and seeing practically nothing of the gameplay, just comments about how technically amazing the game is and pretty explosions.  This feels oh so familiar. 

I think if you want a great Star Wars movie game experience you'd best stick to Moviebattles because this game is very likely to disappoint.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: Battlefront are going to be revolutionary for what they are in cinema and gaming. I can just tell they're going to top everything else. Star Wars will rule the world again.

I'm really pleasantly surprised by this Battlefront reveal trailer. God damn, those graphics! It looks like a film, it's hard to believe this was all made out of a computer and this is what the game will actually look like when I play. This is even better than those SWTOR/TFU2 cinematic trailers. Imagine all the wicked machinimas players will be making. Maybe I'll set up my own. :>

Also, I really look forward to all the gameplay features that have been confirmed to be added, like third person and heroes, etc. I think DICE will actually make this a real Battlefront, and in a way like never before. I'm very excited.

EDIT: Suck on that, Call of Duty! GG

Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: Battlefront are going to be revolutionary for what they are in cinema and gaming. I can just tell they're going to top everything else. Star Wars will rule the world again.

I'm really pleasantly surprised by this Battlefront reveal trailer. God damn, those graphics! It looks like a film, it's hard to believe this was all made out of a computer and this is what the game will actually look like when I play. This is even better than those SWTOR/TFU2 cinematic trailers. Imagine all the wicked machinimas players will be making. Maybe I'll set up my own. :>

Also, I really look forward to all the gameplay features that have been confirmed to be added, like third person and heroes, etc. I think DICE will actually make this a real Battlefront, and in a way like never before. I'm very excited.

EDIT: Suck on that, Call of Duty! GG

Real or sarcasm?  Hard to tell.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

No, it won't. They said everything was "in-engine" which is not the same as actual gameplay. In-engine simply means it's not just some CGI that's been thrown together by Blur Studio or someone else. Not a single game in the past 5 years has looked as good as the trailers, and that's just the realities of marketing and hardware restrictions.

In-engine simply means it's using the technology they are using to run the actual game. It has obviously been obtimized and/or pre-rendered (in this case it most definitely is since it's a trailer) because it's going to be used in a very specific way. They can up the graphics because things are pre-rendered, and the hardware only needs to focus on rendering a small part of the maps that are intended to be seen up close in the trailer, and don't have to deal with player movements, internet connections, and essentially removes all the variables out of the equation so the system can just focus on rendering, and nothing else.

No, it won't. They said everything was "in-engine" which is not the same as actual gameplay. In-engine simply means it's not just some CGI that's been thrown together by Blur Studio or someone else. Not a single game in the past 5 years has looked as good as the trailers, and that's just the realities of marketing and hardware restrictions.

In-engine simply means it's using the technology they are using to run the actual game. It has obviously been obtimized and/or pre-rendered (in this case it most definitely is since it's a trailer) because it's going to be used in a very specific way. They can up the graphics because things are pre-rendered, and the hardware only needs to focus on rendering a small part of the maps that are intended to be seen up close in the trailer, and don't have to deal with player movements, internet connections, and essentially removes all the variables out of the equation so the system can just focus on rendering, and nothing else.

Well said. Spot-on. That's what I was trying to say, as well. These cinematics are most likely a rendered cutscene compilation from the game, using the game engine as a renderer. The actual gameplay visual experience will be different -- probably much closer to the previous Battlefront games.

Well said. Spot-on. That's what I was trying to say, as well. These cinematics are most likely a rendered cutscene compilation from the game, using the game engine as a renderer. The actual gameplay visual experience will be different -- probably much closer to the previous Battlefront games.

Exactly.

And if/when a gameplay video comes out, keep in mind just because it's gameplay doesn't mean it's not pre-rendered gameplay. That's one of the big questions we're constantly asking during live conferences - is the guy on stage with the controller actually playing it or not? The majority of the time they aren't. Why? Because they have a product to sell, they can't risk hitting a glitch while all their shareholders are watching the big Xbox One conference to see if they've invested in a piece of trash or not.

It's just the way the business works.

BruceJohnJenner and Bek like this