Star Wars Battlefront

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the questions one of the devs answered last week:

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/twitter-qa-with-design-director-niklas-fegraeus?utm_campaign=swbf-social-us-ic-tw-swbf-figgeqa-042415-tw-img-site-ramp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&sourceid=swbf-social-us-ic-tw-swbf-figgeqa-042415-tw-img-site-ramp&cid=38287&ts=1429901123457&sf37816466=1

The only reason I have 30 hours on Call of Duty: Black Ops - Multiplayer is because of bots. If Battlefront didn't have them all hope would be lost.

According to the above link, the Missions game mode will be the campaign/bots mode. They'll have mission objectives to give a campaign feel (exactly how the previous Battlefront games were).

This video is worth a watch for anyone out there listening to a lot of the BS going around the internet. These guys explain it all perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcMCBlzAv1M

Onysfx, MagSul and DT. like this

I don't feel too much excitement about the new Battlefront, though I was a vivid fan of the previous games with the same name. I even played a lot with my friends, that was a very nice time. The game was also good to include different missions both from the prequels and the Original trilogy. Mixing different fractions was also possible. Battlefront II was a very good continuation with several cool modifications added by fans like the Dark Times.

I am positive, the new Battlefront won't be featuring so much, as introduced before. There will be a limited number of heroes and a few missions with very good graphics. And DLCs. Dozens of them.

If the game will have sort of modding tools for the game, like adding new maps and objects, as well as models - then I would definitely give the game a chance as a SW fan, besides I would call it one of the reasons to buy a new machine to play the game.

Jolly likes this

@@Circa this video confirmed exactly what I read allready :

No space battles ?

No campaign ?

20 vs 20 Multiplayer only, without AI to fill up empty slots ??

3 nopes - from me

And just because so far only a single DLC pack has been announced that doesn't guarantee it won't become cluttered with overpriced DLC packs

also :

only 5 planets, without buying possible future DLC ?

I'll certainly miss the diversity of the original 2 Battlefront games. They had so many different locations/planets - even though it was only a single map per planet the ability to mod the game and download additional maps for FREE

to expand the game to a nearly unlimited size made it amazing, which is another thing we won't get from this new "Battlefront"

from what I gathered nothing has been revealed about the class system in this game - i'd greatly prefer a number fixed classes per side as opposed to only custom classes with limitations on how many players can play a specific class

which imo aids the balacning of the game a LOT simply by making the kind of bullshit I experienced during my time playing Crysis 2 MP impossible :

imagine a lobby full of people using an OP DLC assault Rifle and an autofire Grenade Launcher as secondary weapon... not really fun to play

I'll wait and see about what this game will be, maybe they manage to do something to change my mind

but atm my opinion stays the same : I won't buy it

BruceJohnJenner and Sithani like this

No space battles ?

Yeah, that sucks, but there will still be ship battles in the skies of the planets. Still pretty cool.

No campaign ?

There will be missions similar to the old Battlefronts, just no cutscenes, which were just clips from the films with a clone trooper's monologue. It wasn't anything special. The missions themselves were just objective based matches, which is exactly what DICE has said will be available, solo and co-op. So no real "campaign" I guess, but pretty much what we had before.

20 vs 20 Multiplayer only, without AI to fill up empty slots ??

Where was the statement that said no AI? According to DICE there will be fully functional AI bots. Also, 20 vs 20 isn't enough?? wat. Like they said in the video, any more than that is way too much.

only 5 planets, without buying possible future DLC ?

5 planets that we know about so far, with multiple maps per planet. Yes, I'd like to see more planets but I don't think that will make the game feel incomplete. If there are 3 or 4 maps per planet, that's quite a lot. And with every mission different every time, according to those that saw the pre-alpha demo at SWC, I think it will be just enough.

I'm not saying you have to like it or buy it, but I'm trying my best to debunk some of the instant pessimism you people seem to have against anything new around here, before you've even played or seen the game itself. Just trying to help you out. :)

Syko likes this

The game looks very cool, but I have the same objections than @@AshuraDX:

- No solo campaign with a real good story, like MGS, firsts AC, firsts MoH... In the old BF, I was never attached to the character.

- No space battle... after all, this is not a real problem with me, except if they would made a realistic thing like the X-Wing series. We can have a dream...

- Multiplayer: I hate that. Not only because I'm noob in MP, but more because of all hardcore players who don't let a chance to survive and who play like they were in Mario Bros, without a simple realistic act.

So, this new Battlefront is very beautiful, a pleasure for ears with badass sound effects... waiting for the music: will it be a John Williams' mix or an original score? And if it's an original, will it be a music like Battlefield or with a classical orchestra?

And after all, if I want to play it, my PC will be like Owen and Beru^^

The game looks very cool, but I have the same objections than @@AshuraDX:

- No solo campaign with a real good story, like MGS, firsts AC, firsts MoH... In the old BF, I was never attached to the character.

What would the story even be? You play as an expendable soldier and you respawn as a new one. I don't think being attached to the character is even necessary in this case.

What would the story even be? You play as an expendable soldier and you respawn as a new one. I don't think being attached to the character is even necessary in this case.

I agree. A story wouldn't make sense with a game set up like this. They are already offering a co-op MP mode to complete objectives with a friend. If they were to make a single-player campaign, it would probably end up like CoD where the storyline isn't very memorable and you don't really feel connected with any of the characters. Not to mention the additional cost/time of creating content for it. They have never hidden the fact that it is a multiplayer-based game and I'm okay with that. The original SW: Battlefront, as best I remember, didn't have any space battles either. That came with the second game.

Circa likes this

I agree. A story wouldn't make sense with a game set up like this. If they were to make a single-player campaign, it would probably end up like CoD where the storyline isn't very memorable and you don't really feel connected with any of the characters.

This is not incompatible. Look: in MoH (Allied Assault, the only one I played), you're sgt. Mike Powell, he's engaging even if doesn't speak and we don't know his face. Nevertheless, multiplayer offers the opportunity to play "an exendable soldier".

Same thing with MGS: you're playing Snake but with the Metal Gear Online, you can be a simple soldier with his own class.

Call of Duty and Battlefield are bankable games, so I agree about the fact that solo story isn't really lively, even there were some interesting ideas, unfortunately not deeper developped enough... when we don't just follow History for some opuses, wether we follow the terrestrial one or the one of the galaxy far, far away.

A good story with an engaging character in solo game can be mixed with the opportunity to respawn with a new soldier in multiplayer, an even it's my opinion, this is what it should be for a Star Wars game.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

I agree. A story wouldn't make sense with a game set up like this. They are already offering a co-op MP mode to complete objectives with a friend. If they were to make a single-player campaign, it would probably end up like CoD where the storyline isn't very memorable and you don't really feel connected with any of the characters. Not to mention the additional cost/time of creating content for it. They have never hidden the fact that it is a multiplayer-based game and I'm okay with that. The original SW: Battlefront, as best I remember, didn't have any space battles either. That came with the second game.

I would argue that CoD does a decent job with characters and their story development in some ways. I wouldn't mind a Star Wars game like that I guess, where you play as special operations agents, officers, etc. But Battlefront has always been about a common soldier even in their "campaigns". Not saying character development wouldn't be nice, but sometimes it's not really needed.

Having seen the video about "7 things we don't want to see in Battlefront" I thought, that the game might have quite the graphics and action, but it will be relatively small. Even if they include 7 large locations it would be a small game, wouldn't it?

Battlefront II introduced quite a variety of planets and space battles. We know, that certain features from previous games won't be seen in the next installment, so it might be a disappointment to some.

I would absolutely love if it were possible to make missions to play with your friends. Not new maps, but at least customization for missions to play in SP or online with other fans. It's most likely the game won't introduce any SDK tools to do that though. Anyone played Battlefield? Such options aren't available with that game, are they?

BruceJohnJenner likes this

@@Ping

Yes, I hear the new game won't a lot of things, which fans enjoyed prior. By the way, do you like the dueling feature in battlefront II? I really loved that game for a variety of locations. I was glad to see familiar faces of Luke, Leia, Chewie and others.

I might buy it but I can't really tell yet. The BF games were always a bit too casual for me

That's one thing I think will change with this one. It seems like it might be more competitive. We'll see though.

I'm pretty sure that I've read that BF won't have any SP at all. But that's good since the "campaign" in the previous games were pretty much like playing against bots on multiplayer maps (at least it felt like that).

@minilogoguy18

Unfortunately, you are right. The last modifiable Star Wars game was probably Empire at War. So far I know only of Dark Forces I and II, JO/JA, Galactic Battlegrounds, KOTOR I and II and Empire at War modifications.

Battlefront I and II as well. TFU never truly presented an opportunity, just as other games, like The Phantom Menace (though some forums panels suggest, that people actually expected an SDK to be released, and a few things were done to the game, like adding playable Darth Maul and Mace Windu).