Star Wars: Rogue One

Their trying to recapture the essence of the original trilogy for the newer generation of star wars fans.Rogue one is more of a stand-alone prequel to A New Hope.All of us still prefer Kyle Katarn stealing the plans or a part of them for that matter.

Actually in Rogue One we have Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors, however Disney dislike the names because those characters are somehow from the "EU/Legends" for them and they just ripped off the design, the idea and changed their original names in a silly way (Jan Ors / Jyn Erso) and also changed the original characters to be less cool, so they can put other stuff inside and boost up the merching with the good old Darth Vader and of course Grand Moff Tarkin. 

KyleKatarn1995 and JediBantha like this

And also actor Guy Henry is on the IMDb list as Grand Moff Tarkin

Guy Henry

well, at least he looks more or less the part...um...sorta...

It seems, there is yet another cameo, which hasn't been spotted very much yet. You might see it in this video below:

Look amongst the ship. See?

oh...well that'd be interesting to see... :winkthumb:

i didn't get the 'reference\ nostalgia stuff' part - what's that about? and why are you concerned?

Oh, I was just talking about the fan service stuff in Force Awakens. The shot of Finn picking up the little training ball droid in the Falcon, when he accidentally turns on the chess board (also in the Falcon), when they throw Phasma into a trash compactor, when they referenced Han's line from the original Star Wars about the Falcon making the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, etc. Basically the scenes or lines that reference the original movies in a way that lacks any subtlety. That and the fact that the basic outline of the plot of Force Awakens closely mirrors the plot of the original Star Wars, with a dash of RotJ thrown in. A young, technically minded kid living on a desert planet, who has dreams of seeing the rest of the galaxy, gets swept up into a plot to thwart the big scary Empire with a droid that contains some vital information of great interest to Leia and the Rebels, and there's also a Death Star. I can't tell you how annoyed I was when I saw they were making yet another Death Star. If any of their other movies revolve around a Death Star after these two, I might be out for good. That's just creative bankruptcy.

And I'm concerned about it just because that stuff annoys me. I don't mind references if they're subtle, and if there aren't too many of them. But Force Awakens had a lot of them and they weren't really subtle at all. It just feels to me like some cynical Hollywood producer is shoving in all these lines because they think it'll give the movie some added value by piggybacking it onto my nostalgia for the originals. But I'm hopeful Rogue One will be different. Lucas has said he liked it apparently, and I know he didn't like the fan service in Force Awakens, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

EDIT: I'm not seeing this supposed cameo among the ships, can someone just tell me who it's supposed to be?

DarthDementous and kharg like this

Oh, I was just talking about the fan service stuff in Force Awakens. The shot of Finn picking up the little training ball droid in the Falcon, when he accidentally turns on the chess board (also in the Falcon), when they throw Phasma into a trash compactor, when they referenced Han's line from the original Star Wars about the Falcon making the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, etc. Basically the scenes or lines that reference the original movies in a way that lacks any subtlety. That and the fact that the basic outline of the plot of Force Awakens closely mirrors the plot of the original Star Wars, with a dash of RotJ thrown in. A young, technically minded kid living on a desert planet, who has dreams of seeing the rest of the galaxy, gets swept up into a plot to thwart the big scary Empire with a droid that contains some vital information of great interest to Leia and the Rebels, and there's also a Death Star. I can't tell you how annoyed I was when I saw they were making yet another Death Star. If any of their other movies revolve around a Death Star after these two, I might be out for good. That's just creative bankruptcy.

And I'm concerned about it just because that stuff annoys me. I don't mind references if they're subtle, and if there aren't too many of them. But Force Awakens had a lot of them and they weren't really subtle at all. It just feels to me like some cynical Hollywood producer is shoving in all these lines because they think it'll give the movie some added value by piggybacking it onto my nostalgia for the originals. But I'm hopeful Rogue One will be different. Lucas has said he liked it apparently, and I know he didn't like the fan service in Force Awakens, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

EDIT: I'm not seeing this supposed cameo among the ships, can someone just tell me who it's supposed to be?

Oh, that's what you meant. You're right, in fact.

So you're saying Jar Jar is preferable to rip-offs? :D

I think that's the Ghost from Star Wars: Rebels he's referring to. Here's hoping they all get killed so that Yoda's last words are canonized :P

what last words? the 'there is another' line? :huh:

No, the "last Jedi" thing, even though it will probably be ignored or retconned.

The exact quote isn't "last jedi", it's "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be", and then he tells luke to pass on what he has learnt. 

The way that statement is being interpreted, I think, is that -just like with the word samurai-, Jedi is used in a plural sense. I've always understood it as yoda telling him that when he dies, there will be noone else left to teach the jedi philosophy, which is true, since neither Ezra nor Kanan qualify as Jedi masters. 

the_raven and NumberWan like this

@Noodle

I remember a discussion on this matter. With the old EU the words of Yoda could still be true - some old Jedi Masters left the path (fell to the DS like Jerec), left the Force or weren't fully skilled, thus unable to teach.

When I watched Episode VI years ago, being unaware of many other stories, I believed Yoda to be the only Jedi at all. Even though I knew the Jedi of old were gone, I never thought they'd been so many of them to form an Order. It was actually very sad. I do believe that ROTJ is perhaps the sadest of all.

The Followers of the Force were introduced in TFA, in order to explain the Force presence without making new Jedi in the films. So Rogue One is the first major project in this regard.

since neither Ezra nor Kanan qualify as Jedi masters. 

why not Kanan? in the show, he was made Knight by the jedi-ghosts (though it wasn't exactly official, but then again, neither was Luke since there was no official Order left anyway), and he taught Ezra, which kinda makes him a master. only way this could be retconned is if Kanan died or leaves the light side.

@Noodle

I remember a discussion on this matter. With the old EU the words of Yoda could still be true - some old Jedi Masters left the path (fell to the DS like Jerec), left the Force or weren't fully skilled, thus unable to teach.

When I watched Episode VI years ago, being unaware of many other stories, I believed Yoda to be the only Jedi at all. Even though I knew the Jedi of old were gone, I never thought they'd been so many of them to form an Order. It was actually very sad. I do believe that ROTJ is perhaps the sadest of all.

The Followers of the Force were introduced in TFA, in order to explain the Force presence without making new Jedi in the films. So Rogue One is the first major project in this regard.

how many jedi survived Order 66 in the new canon anyway? Obi-Wan, Yoda, Kanan, the Head Inquisitor (though turned to the Dark Side), Ahsoka (though left the order before that) and who else?

why not Kanan? in the show, he was made Knight by the jedi-ghosts (though it wasn't exactly official, but then again, neither was Luke since there was no official Order left anyway), and he taught Ezra, which kinda makes him a master. only way this could be retconned is if Kanan died or leaves the light side.

He hasn't successfully trained a padawan yet, and with the teaching of the Bendu, I think he might turn into something different from a Jedi, perhaps more grey. 

how many jedi survived Order 66 in the new canon anyway? Obi-Wan, Yoda, Kanan, the Head Inquisitor (though turned to the Dark Side), Ahsoka (though left the order before that) and who else?

Luminara Unduli survived order 66, but she was excecuted by the Grand Inquisitor later. In Star Wars Uprising (mobile game) there were some recordings of jedi that survived Order 66 but were later executed by the inquisitors. 

That's high praise. Without going into too much detail (no spoilers) could you say what you liked about it? The story? The characters?

The story was great and had it's own unexpected twists. There are scenes from the trailers that we don't see in the movie though, such as Stormtroopers walking through water.

I wrote a full review on Blu-Ray Forum, so I'll just quote myself;

First off, so you can get an understanding, I am the sort of Star Wars fan that disliked the prequel trilogy (though there were some good parts about it such as Darth Maul and the whole ending battle).

I always loved the unaltered original trilogy.

So.

IT WAS AMAZING! Here's a few things you should take from this:

- It is a darker and grittier movie than any other Star Wars movie, and you would easily think it was an R rated movie, even though it's only PG-13. If I were to judge it, I would say that the movie is much darker then The Empire Strikes Back.

- The plot is on point, everything that happens has a reason and everything is justified so you are not left wondering or questioning "What the hell is going on?".

- Visually, this movie is a feast. I'm not even kidding, you've seen the trailers, you could say that the visuals are "out of this world". icon_wink.gif Seriously though, there are a lot of practical effects, I would say more than what The Force Awakens had, though don't get me wrong, there is still a LOT of CGI involved.

- The score is breathtaking and made me tear up a number of times throughout the movie. Easily a better score than The Force Awakens, it matches more to the style of A New Hope/Empire Strikes Back mixed together.

- Reshoots were definitely not an issue with this movie at all, and if you had heard the rumors of what people said about this movie being toned/watered down for being too gritty, then you'd be right to believe it. It doesn't feel toned/watered down, but this movie must have been so much more darker than what I watched for it to be required to be toned/watered down to the state it's currently at. I would easily say if this movie had not been watered/toned down, it would have been an R rated movie without a doubt.

With all that being taken into consideration, Rogue One is the BEST Star Wars movie I have ever seen, and as my own personal preference, find it better than The Force Awakens, and even the original trilogy.

I will EASILY rate this movie 5/5, and as for a ranking, here's mine:

- Rogue One

- The Empire Strikes Back

- The Force Awakens

- A New Hope

- Return of the Jedi

- Revenge of the Sith

- The Phantom Menace

- Attack of the Clones

wait, it's released already? :o

It did premiere yesterday.

swegmaster likes this

How did you see it already? It doesnt release until the 16th. Unless you got some exclusive viewing somehow.

I knew some people that were able to get an early copy of Rogue One at the Cinema they work at. It was honestly fantastic. I only watched it in regular 2D though, so I will definitely go back when it "officially" releases and watch IMAX and 3D versions.

Circa likes this