Star Wars: Rogue One

Oh, I almost forgot about this one, Somehow I considered the standalone as the least of all Star Wars worries :)

Nevertheless the news were coming here and there. I also remember reading a rumour about the actress from the Girl with a dragon tattoo. Saw her in a few movies, but never recognized as such. 

This film however is what the SW community has been longing for a long time ago. I remember playing Dark Forces II, when I discussed the possibility of a new Star Wars movie with actors, but about Luke or Leia, for the first time.

I wonder, which period does this one covers.

Christ, are they going to come out with a movie each year or something now? Not exactly want.

I rather to wait 1 year than 2 or 3. Besides that is not even the half of it. If you want to know the full story between Episode 6 and 7, Disney will be releasing 20 books between now and Episode 7's release that you will have to read all of them to understand the movie, apparently.

I rather to wait 1 year than 2 or 3. Besides that is not even the half of it. If you want to know the full story between Episode 6 and 7, Disney will be releasing 20 books between now and Episode 7's release that you will have to read all of them to understand the movie, apparently.

:/

the_raven and Bek like this

Yes, that was the first thing to come to my head as well. When Episode VII was announced, it was also said, that there would be a new trilogy, plus a new standalone film would be coming. Later one the rumours brought in the idea, that there would three independent films set in Star Wars.

The situation with 1 film in a year raised certain concerns among fans, but I feel we don't need to worry. Different teams are working on TFA and standalones, so perhaps it will all work nicely.

The big news is that music for this film is not scored by John Williams. The composer is already known - Alexandre Desplat.

I'm fine with a movie each year, as long as it's by a different production team for each one, which it is. They'll all be completely different.

The whole book rumor can't be true. Not to that extent. I'm sure they'll make books that explain it in more depth, but the movie would get rated horribly if you had to read 20 books to even understand what was going on.

Darth Sion and the_raven like this

Disney is not hesitating to milk this cow..  I wouldn't mind seeing more StarWars films, but I will always treat the complete saga as the only StarWars movies worth owning.
Eventually there will be a box of all 9 movies + Bonus material, and that's all I need to own.  Just seeing these standalones is enough for me, same with the animated series.

I concider the StarWars saga a story by George Lucas. As it still is. Disney will make the last trilogy almost as Lucas intends them to be shown. The rest is pure Entertainment.
I value the original concepts, e.g.  I like watching the Alien/Predator franchise movies, but I only own Predator (-87 Schwarzenegger) and the Alien movies (1-4)
(Fifth annoucned!!)

zOrg and Ping like this

@

It would depend. It the movie is good enough and follows in the traditions of SW (or - even though most unlikely - re-introduces back to Star Wars familiar faces from EU), then I would buy such a film.

Anyway there are quite a lot of things in my collection of Star Wars, including several books, comics, games, action figures and Lego sets. I will admit, that I won't buy toys the way I collected them ten years ago. :)

Jeff likes this

I find it unlikely that the books will be so-called "required reading" to understand the films. No one makes a film for a general audience that they won't be able to understand based on common knowledge and images/information presented.

It is supposed to be a book trilogy explaining the events between episode 6 and 7. And that could potentially expand knowledge on the new movie.

• 1 month later...

Dang. That's awesome.

We have some hints at the plot, though I think some of these were suspected, they are now confirmed:

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2015/04/19/6-things-we-learned-about-rogue-one-today-at-star-wars-celebration/?cmp=SMC%7Csws%7Cnatural%7Cblginsider%7CInsiderApril%7CFB%7Crogue6-Disney%7CInHouse%7C2015-04-19%7Cesocialmedia

The filmmakers behind Rogue One took the stage at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim today. Here are the best secrets they shared about the upcoming Star Wars “anthology film”:

1. Rogue One is set after episode 3 and before episode 4.

2. During this time the Jedi are all but extinct. A rogue band of resistance fighters unite to steal the Death Star plans and bring new hope to the galaxy.

3. Star Wars Rebels also takes place during this timeline. As the stories evolve they will be able to nod to each other.

4. Felicity Jones is a huge Star Wars fan: she dropped everything to join the team. She is playing a rebel soldier in the film.

5. Gareth Edwards kept the project secret for six months. His mom and dad didn’t even know.

6. Shooting will start this summer in the UK and around the world.

Christ, are they going to come out with a movie each year or something now? Not exactly want.

Yep, that sounds like the regular Disney production schedule. They've been doing this with their own movies for a long time, now. When Disney acquired Lucasfilm, I knew this would be coming. Star Wars will be a regular theme park, now. It will be more popular than ever, but I wonder at what cost...

To be fair, Disney have been killin' it with Marvel. Hopefully they can do justice to Star Wars as well... although I am extremely sick of super hero movies, but maybe that's just because I was never that into anything more than Batman and Spiderman 1 and 2.

Circa and NumberWan like this

The video is no longer.

It's curious, that we have the phrase of Obi Wan Kenobi about the Jedi and the Dark times, yet the film is about the Rebellion, not the Jedi most likely.

I would like to see Kyle Katarn in the movie, but he is no longer canon, too bad. If J.J.Abrams were directing the film, the character would have a little cameo, he would be accompanying the new heroes in their attempt to steal Death Star plans.

Lethal Alliance, I think, was the game interpreting the events of Dark Forces from a different side...

I wonder how would they cope with the matter of showing a different epoch in Star Wars. Not only it's different in style, but also it's a movies, made in 1970s... Different acting, different manners, faces and character types.

My biggest concern about this, and the new trilogy, is how Hollywood it looks. Star Wars has never had that Hollywood feel until now. Sure it was AAA, big budget, lots of fantastically done effects etc. but it was never in that box. Now, looking at the Episode VII trailer you just see all kinds of stereotypical shots (blue/green glow in a dim room with the stormtroopers for example) that are in all the blockbuster movies like Transformers, The Hunger Games etc.

I sincerely hope they are at least as good as the prequels. Which I personally enjoyed quite a bit. I love all things Star Wars, even the stuff that wasn't so good, but there's still a lot of room to ruin the next film(s)... fingers crossed!