Star Wars: Rogue One

Personally from the 2 times I saw this movie I think they made amazing work with the CGI recreations

specially Tarkin.

I don't agree with people who don't like this, because first of all most of you I guess can't make even 80% of the CGI. Also if they picked up the option with a real actor to play him (even let's say Guy Henry with a very good make up), it won't be the same. Maybe juuust a little bit better than 2005's version on ROTS, but something unique performed by one of the greatest old classy actors, such as Peter Cushing, Cristopher Lee, Sebastian Shaw, Alec Guiness those are classic actors that are really BIG and the roles they take can't be replaced by anyone with makeup. I mean if Rogue One didn't used CGI and only actor with makeup we would end up with another hate fandom just like Anakin from 1983 played by Sebastian Shaw and after that cut him off while he's few meters under the ground and replace him with a young actor that make a prequel version. That's my own point of view. There might be some issues with the CGI recreation of a classic actor, but still much better. Plus you all see how the CGI evolves with time. Perhaps in just 5 or 10 years later it will be good enough to recreate an actor who's like 22 years dead and it will feel like he have a real blood and skin clone.

I mean, given that Peter Cushing is long dead, I see no reason why there would be a hate fandom. Replacing Sebastian Shaw with young Anakin was just rude, weird and unnecessary, since they had the original footage.

I guess if they find no one that could be made to kind of resemble Tarkin, I understand their choice, but I found it weird and could immediately tell it was CGI.

Here's an idea on how they could have handled

Tarkin...

Don't put him in the movie. He didn't need to be there. They could have referenced him in a line or two of dialogue. When they first showed him it was from behind, when he's standing in front of a window on a Star Destroyer looking at the Death Star, and you see his reflection in the glass. For a second I thought that was all we would see of him, and that would have been fine too. But ultimately we didn't need to see him, and if they were going to put him in the movie anyway, then they should have done it tastefully. Like I said, just a shot from behind with his face reflected in the glass. An ominous, subtle nod to the character. He didn't need to carry multiple conversations with people with his weird CGI lips. Same with

Leia

We didn't need to see her face, or see her talk. Just show her from behind, or obscure her face with her veil.

Boothand likes this

I read comments on Rotten Tomatoes and in the Peter Cushing fan association, and if among his fans there were one or two, who commented with infuriation on the CGI character, in other instances people actually praised the CGI additions.

I would agree, that we didn't need to see Leia, however a view from her back only could mean something else for the fans - that this is not actually Leia. I mean people might hate CGI, but at least we could have to guess, whether it's human actor or a CGI impersonalisation.

As for Tarkin, a friend of mine didn't know about Cushing at all. He thought it was the real actor. The only way to say it's a pure CGI is to be quite proficient by seeing a lot of it. If one "bathes" in the field of computer graphics, and is actually fond of such things, then it's most likely such a person will notice the difference.

I am actually very glad, that the character is in the film the way he is. It was a nice tribute to the actor, and it builds a stronger continuity. 

Given what they did to recreate Tarkin, I would praise the creators - it was a long work of studying many works from the XXth century, various films, photos and footage.

DarthDementous likes this

I just saw the film again, this time in 2D, and this time the CGI characters did not seem so uncanny... Though maybe I was just able to suspend disbelieve this time since I was not wondering whether they were real this time?

Also noticed some new things:

• Knowing the importance of "Stardust" it was a lot more noticeable how often it is said beforehand.
  • Knowing all the characters it was generally easier to follow their introductions - it's a lot of new people.
  • I could appreciate some of the architecture more this time. I love the outside of Vader's castle and the city on Jedah.
  • On Jedah one line is something like "this town is ready to blow" - surprisingly literal foreshadowing.
  • Given her recent death, seeing CGI Leia is pretty impactful.

eezstreet likes this

Now that the film premiere is in the past, new and new info on the film production pops up. One of the latest is about the Deleted scenes for Rogue One, which caused a discussion in the community, whether it's a completely new scene, cut from the film, or the original story, that was ultimately cut from the movie.

It's funny, that one fan from the reddit pointed out, how they used of the older pictures to create a familiar location (picture inside):

We all remember Coruscant

N2N0rUZ.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just watched it (finally!). What can I say? It was...ok.

The lead characters and the dialogues turned out better than I expected. Didn't like Vader's costume, didn't like the CGI'd Tarkin, but Leia was better, perhaps it's because she didn't move. The movie had some pretty cool scenes, like when the Death Star's laser-dish is set into place - just shows how bit it is compared to the already giant Star Destroyers, or the Death Star's "weak" shots - literally nuclear explosions. The scenery was also nice. The blind guy I didn't really like, in some scenes he felt too much like a ham. Also - CGI'd Mon Calamari ( <_<); and they weren't entirely consistent with the OT because, it seems, all the Death Troopers, KX-droids, Delta-class and Zeta-class shuttles, Tie-Reapers and /sk x1's, UT-60D's, TX-225 GAVw's (as well as their commanders) were whipped out when Scarif got attacked. Oh yeah, and I really could do without the damned R2 and 3-PO. -_-

Just watched it (finally!). What can I say? It was...ok.

The lead characters and the dialogues turned out better than I expected. Didn't like Vader's costume, didn't like the CGI'd Tarkin, but Leia was better, perhaps it's because she didn't move. The movie had some pretty cool scenes, like when the Death Star's laser-dish is set into place - just shows how bit it is compared to the already giant Star Destroyers, or the Death Star's "weak" shots - literally nuclear explosions. The scenery was also nice. The blind guy I didn't really like, in some scenes he felt too much like a ham. Also - CGI'd Mon Calamari ( <_<); and they weren't entirely consistent with the OT because, it seems, all the Death Troopers, KX-droids, Delta-class and Zeta-class shuttles, Tie-Reapers and /sk x1's, UT-60D's, TX-225 GAVw's (as well as their commanders) were whipped out when Scarif got attacked. Oh yeah, and I really could do without the damned R2 and 3-PO. -_-

Why the hell would anyone choose CGI Mon Calamari over actual props?