Diary of a mad man

Message added by AshuraDX

The content in this forum thread is not owned, created, or hosted by JKHub. Any copyright is held by relevant entities. Legal enquiries can be sent via our contact form.

tried my hands at porting a model and failed. 

This is how the model looks

jwF5P7z.png

JKA complains that it has too many vertex. That could be fixed but I wanted to go ahead and take a look at it so i used Luke's head and the head-gear from the old Hoth version. Even thought it looks fine in Blender, the results are not pretty at all.

Lppw2tP.png

If anyone wants to take over, please let me know.

Improving some old models to bring new life into them while trying to learn the basics of porting (long way before I can attempt a full port but I wish to get there thanks to some guidance from @@dark_apprentice and some pointers from @@Jeff)

4EkiDXr.jpg

New "breather mask"

New Arm armor

New "control boxes"

and more important.....new (I guess life support?) "tubes"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Due to life issues and lots of frustrations with trying my hand at porting, I am no longer active trying to mod. However, if I see something I like for personal use, I will try it and if I like the results, share it with the community. 

Back in December I saw this request https://jkhub.org/topic/8641-nautolan-skin-model-request/ by @Baal and I thought it was interesting and the character looked really cool. so I started working on it little by little as I had a chance and here is what I have so far.

9inmW6M.jpg

YgPQUeX.jpg

Parts used:

Main body: @Scerendo's Quinlan Vos

Head:  Kit Fisto

Belt: @Jeff's Lord Kallig

Robe: Toshi's Vader

Due to life issues and lots of frustrations with trying my hand at porting, I am no longer active trying to mod. However, if I see something I like for personal use, I will try it and if I like the results, share it with the community. 

Back in December I saw this request https://jkhub.org/topic/8641-nautolan-skin-model-request/ by @Baal and I thought it was interesting and the character looked really cool. so I started working on it little by little as I had a chance and here is what I have so far.

9inmW6M.jpg

YgPQUeX.jpg

Parts used:

Main body: @Scerendo's Quinlan Vos

Head:  Kit Fisto

Belt: @Jeff's Lord Kallig

Robe: Toshi's Vader

Awesome, do you plan to release it at some point? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Duuuude....That is one of the best Luke heads I've ever seen. :o

Thanks! I am not sure form which game it is....I've been collecting models from FP and some other sites and lost track where I got each model (I guess is from FP but can't recal)  in hope to learn to port them but after many failed attempts, I decided to stick with porting only parts for now.

BTW, Tatooine version has a lot of issues on the neck/chest area due to the area divided into  multiple pieces to overcome the 1K verts issue. I will try to see how can I fix it

I am also trying this but getting a lot of issues wit "Vertex without UV coordinates"

juah6dL.png

and this (same issues)

51bFIC5.png

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

I am also trying this but getting a lot of issues wit "Vertex without UV coordinates"

Easy to fix, just follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the part that has the vertex without uv coordinates

2. Go into edit mode, then go into face selection mode, press a, and then press h

3. You will see some black things not hidden by the h/hide key, delete those, then press alt+h to unhide all

4. Now you can export as a glm

P.S. The Luke head in the main screens above is from Force Arena, that Anakin above head looks like its from FR Battlefront 3

The Punisher likes this

Easy to fix, just follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the part that has the vertex without uv coordinates

2. Go into edit mode, then go into face selection mode, press a, and then press h

3. You will see some black things not hidden by the h/hide key, delete those, then press alt+h to unhide all

4. Now you can export as a glm

P.S. The Luke head in the main screens above is from Force Arena, that Anakin above head looks like its from FR Battlefront 3

Thanks @@swegmaster!. I was finally able to figure it out after reading several posts. But it came out ugly as #@!!.

The problem is, it first came up with error "UV seam found! Split meshes at UV seams", so I tried this https://jkhub.org/topic/8804-uv-seam-found-split-meshes-at-uv-seams/?do=findComment&comment=126199 

Then it gave me the "Verts without UV coordinates. I was finally able to delete those verts and export it but it look like $#!*

TQQJjCP.jpg

Thanks @@swegmaster!. I was finally able to figure it out after reading several posts. But it came out ugly as #@!!.

The problem is, it first came up with error "UV seam found! Split meshes at UV seams", so I tried this https://jkhub.org/topic/8804-uv-seam-found-split-meshes-at-uv-seams/?do=findComment&comment=126199

Then it gave me the "Verts without UV coordinates. I was finally able to delete those verts and export it but it look like $#!*

TQQJjCP.jpg

Looks like a problem of edge splitting too much, don't remember how to fix it.

TQQJjCP.jpg

It looks like the whole head needs to be UV remapped with proper seams.

Doesn't looks like much but, I didn't liked the way the neck/chest area came out for Tatooine and Yavin version (ROTJ verison doesn't matter since its hidden underneath the shirt):

Since I am a stinking newbie, I made a rookie mistake. I split the head mesh (to avoid the over 1K verts issue) first, then tried to re-align/re-size the chest/neck area....then I couldn't match back the resulting meshes, so I started again from scratch. This time, re-sized/re-aligned everything before splitting the mesh.

Still have some clipping issues on the right shoulder of the Tatooine version (still learning how to fix the weights), but so far I think it looks pretty good. Also, tried to make the Tatooine pants/boots a little bit darker.

Fvon2UF.jpg

J19, swegmaster, Penekowski and 1 other like this

I see no point in altering Toshi's Luke, it is so great it should not be touched, but I just tried it for the sake of proving my point and I was right, it looks ridiculous.....

kTOPbuE.jpg

This is holly awesome ,keep it up, did you edited the Luke's force arena head to make it more acurate to episode VI?