Jumping animation

It was brought up to me and now I cannot unsee that jumping in this game sometimes looks silly. I mean all the somersaults and barrel rolls while in air. Is there a better (simpler) alternative animation for jumping? Would anyone bother to create one? 

Normal, normal, suddenly Sonic?

wH5vOKR.gif

Not jka, but this pose I like better for some reason. It looks like he is afraid of heights and braces for impact.  :)

yWPwVGf.gif?1

Bek likes this

This is an interesting request and I kinda agree with the sense behind it. However, the animations in the second uh...animation, seem a bit too stiff.

Yes, stiff, that's not a bad way to put it. But that was just an example of something different. I've been looking on animations from Battlefronts and other Star Wars games and there are plenty of ideas to draw from. 

what games are these from? :huh:

The first one is from a regular ja+ client (demo from xjedi client rendered through jamme). Nothing special. The second one in not a game yet, just a project that might see some light in the future.  

Could we also get a non stiff non girlie non wonky blaster stance? Something like starwars 1313, anything would be better really.

Shooting gameplay seems kind of pointless because of it. I always just run around shooting and awkwardly ducking in cover with crouch. Would it be possible for someone to make a cover system of any kind?

It was brought up to me and now I cannot unsee that jumping in this game sometimes looks silly. I mean all the somersaults and barrel rolls while in air. Is there a better (simpler) alternative animation for jumping? Would anyone bother to create one? 

Normal, normal, suddenly Sonic?

wH5vOKR.gif

Not jka, but this pose I like better for some reason. It looks like he is afraid of heights and braces for impact.  :)

yWPwVGf.gif?1

Hmm.. I wonder what game that's from. Kinda' looks like STAR WARS Kinect but could maybe also be Star Wars Battlefront II (on High Settings). Wouldn't mind playing it, in any case.

**Edit**

Commented without looking through the comments and after looking through the comments, I can see now where it's from. My mistake.

Edited by Darth Sion

I know some of you might gonna throw things at me, but I consider Luke's force jump from Battlefront as a good example

of how the force jump should look like (at least in its early upgrade level).

Here are my reasons:

1.The force jump is closer to the one seen in the movies.

2. The animation is less showy and only reduced to its purpose: Levitating the force user.

3. As explained above, it doesn't make any sense when the player jumps, rolls in mid-air, and jumps even higher.

The force jump in Battlefront rather "carries" the player to his desired destination, which looks more believable.

Rostyslav and Seven like this

I know some of you might gonna throw things at me, but I consider Luke's force jump from Battlefront as a good example

of how the force jump should look like (at least in its early upgrade level).

Here are my reasons:

1.The force jump is closer to the one seen in the movies.

2. The animation is less showy and only reduced to its purpose: Levitating the force user.

3. As explained above, it doesn't make any sense when the player jumps, rolls, and jumps even higher.

The force jump in Battlefront rather "carries" the player to his desired destination.

Battlefront is super good looking and a great assets bank, but the game is awful. I've been using it for some soundpacks, and it's got so much stuff its great. And I agree with you on the jumping, but the saber fighting is so horrendous it makes me want to die.

well, for temporaney fix the silly rools. you can add the "norolls 1" to SAB file of your jedi and jedi not make more rools when jumps. :)

there was also noflips and nocartwheels if i remember fine.

Can you please elaborate? I have only encountered this ".sab" file extension exclusively in saber related files. How can changing them will affect my player model behavior? 

hold on, i just realized, "force jump" isn't even force jump, or at least thats what the game thinks, because i looked in the freakin datapad moves menu, looked in acrobatics, then clicked on force jump, and it showed something different, apparently the force jump where you move forward, let go of "w", then hold space is the real force jump, where moving then holding space is force flip :o

Can you please elaborate? I have only encountered this ".sab" file extension exclusively in saber related files. How can changing them will affect my player model behavior? 

You need three step ... or two.

If you play as jaden korr as default player:

1: make a folder called ext_data in the Base folder of the game, inside, you need to put a folder called "sabers"

inside, this you need to put a copy of a SAB file of JKA extracted by assest of the game.

the single_1 file is okay.

2 - open the sab file inside the your custom foldersr with notepad

3 - add below the string command "sabermodel" the following 

"NoFlips 1"

4 save the SAB file.

5: in game, when you are using the saber single_1 hilt , your jedi will  not make more flips when he jump.

FOR NPC:

simply put the edited single_1 hilt as saber with "saber single_1" command into an edited NPC file. some works of sab files, but your custom ext_data need to contain it into a folder called Npcs. the NPC that use this hilt as blade will not flips when make force jumps.

you can play as this custom NPC  using command "Playermodel < npc name > " example: Playermodel jedi2 into the debugging consolle of the game, that appear when you hold SHIFT and \ key of keyboard together.

Rostyslav likes this

Td0rLjc.png

ePVny2I.png

@@Psyk0Sith like this?

Dunno if it'll work since I think the game's code looks for an UPPER_ animation and just uses another animation for the legs.

Which is something I just requested be fixed in JK:E. The vanilla pistol animations desperately need work more than any, and these look amazing.

Well lemme know if you wanna test them, I can just export and run through carcass to get a GLA file but you'll have to do the glaMerge part yourself to keep the file size small. It's a super simple process though.

Oh god. Haven't done that in years. Since I made these bad boys. I remember it being a pain sometimes though. :P Maybe send them my way anyway, just for safe keeping. I'm hoping someone becomes passionate about animating and can help us with more of these.

Would need a slight code change to make that new pistol stance work properly. Basically switching the pistol stand from BOTH_STAND1 to BOTH_ATTACK1 (or w/e the pistol stance is). All because the new pistol pose relies on utilizing the lower body for having the pistol pointing forwards instead of just the upper body like the base JKA stance anims.

If JK Enhanced allows GLA overrides in the future, that would help small animation requests such as a new pistol pose or jumping without the need for doing a full GLA recompile.

Thank you so much, it's working.  :)

Instead of rolls it does the force jump that @swagmaster mentioned above. Awesome, thank you one more time. 

My pleasure. You can apply the noflip code to a copy of all SAB file and you resolve definitely this trouble for all NPCs, Jedi and game characters. :)