Frankensteining with blender.

Jolly
Go to solution Solved by Artemis,

Ah yeah I opened it up in blender and noticed it had LOD's again, makes sense that they would be causing the issue, because I didn't have LODs initially when it was working fine anyway. It was either mil when he fixed a part of the model for me xD or when I added parts from another model again.. most likely myself.

Should be fine now, thanks Vulc.

To be honest I don't think that will quite work for you. I had that issue some time ago actually, and the folution was this:

The parts were simply linked to some strange object called "hips_off" and "torso_off". As the torso and hips were imported from JK2, I guess that caused the complications. I changed the hierarchy of all the tags and meshes of both hips and torso, and deleted hips_off and torso_off, and it all worked like a charm. Of course, I don't think the objects names will be the same, but I'm pretty positive it's about some weird linked meshes. Let me know if that works, and also if Vulcan's solution works for you :).

Sorry for not posting in a while. Got busy with various projects and stuff. There is a way to get parts of Jedi Outcast models into JK3, and vice versa. For example, you have a JK2 model's head and a JK3 model's body. You open up the JK2 model in Blender and save it as a .blend file. Then, you open up the JK3 model and save it as a .blend file as well. With the JK3 model open, press SHIFT + F1, which is the Append command, I believe, and you open up the saved JK2 .blend file, and it takes you inside the .blend file. Go to the folder labeled Objects, and select all the parts of the JK2 head model, i.e., head, head_face, head_mouth_eyes, and so on. You will have that added in with the JK3 body, but it's not done yet. Select all of the JK2 model's parts that you added and then select a single part of the JK3 model, like the torso. Copy the modifiers from the JK3 torso, for instance, to the JK2 model's parts, and it will have the JK2 model's parts applied to the JK3 skeleton, provided the JK2 model doesn't use any of the Outcast exclusive bones, like the left and right tarsals. Make sure the hierarchy is correct and save as a .glm when you're done. Some things may need to be renamed, so if something doesn't work out right, make sure all of the new parts are named correctly. I'm still figuring out how to deal with the bone differences between JK2 and JK3 when converting, but as long as a part doesn't have any JK2 or JK3 exclusive bones, it should be convertible to the opposite game. I've got a JK3 Luke head on the JK2 body, and also a JK2 Mara Jade head on the JK3 Gweth model, so I know that this is indeed possible. Sorry to bump an old topic! Hope this helps!

Could you possibly explain this a little better? I got the basic gist of it but you're implying some of the steps that should be explained a little further. I get an "unweighted" error when trying to export.

I don't understand... I have followed the tutorial to the letter, but everytime I want to open the model in Modview I get this message:

vfdpf.jpg

Make sure you delete all of the parts that you're not using for the model.  If that doesn't fix it, you might wanna check that everything is named and linked right.

I would like to try small frankensteins, but when I click on File - Import, there is no .glm button. I tried to slide a .glm file from folder (not directly from .pk3) to Blender, but this does nothing. Gee, if we have a problem just at the beginning...

There is a screenshot to give you an idea of this simple situation.

Note: I am a perfect beginner with Blender^^

• 2 months later...

Question for @@mrwonko and/or @. I've imported a .glm of a model that has a LOT of variations, so when I import it there's dozens of parts in white (meaning they won't be rendered in game) making it hard to see and select the parts I want without trying to delete them one by one. Is there an easy way to delete all of these hidden/non-rendered parts?

Also, how can I get those textures to render, or select different skin variations of a model?

@@Botdra, the textures show up as white when they're set to *off in the skin file.  If you want to see all of them, you'd have to turn them all back on.

Before you import a model, there's an option for which skin to import with it... I don't tend to mess with it, so I dunno if that's what you'd want or not.

So far, the easiest way of mass-deleting pieces that I've found is to use the search bar in the top right of the hierarchy outline and search for whatever specific part that I want to remove first (ike torsoa or headb), then hold shift and left-click the names of all of those parts, move them to another layer, and delete from there.

@@Botdra, the textures show up as white when they're set to *off in the skin file.  If you want to see all of them, you'd have to turn them all back on.

Before you import a model, there's an option for which skin to import with it... I don't tend to mess with it, so I dunno if that's what you'd want or not.

So far, the easiest way of mass-deleting pieces that I've found is to use the search bar in the top right of the hierarchy outline and search for whatever specific part that I want to remove first (ike torsoa or headb), then hold shift and left-click the names of all of those parts, move them to another layer, and delete from there.

Yeah I understand why they're white, but didn't know about the import options. I'll have to look at it, do you know where I can find that?

It's hard to go through and delete the parts when it automatically import 12 different arms, legs, heads etc. haha. Seems like I have to do it one at a time. I'll mess around with that though, thanks.

EDIT: I figured out how to import specific skins, but unfortunately that only changes the textures it imports and not the model parts. Also, I keep getting an error part way through projects. I'll go to open up a model and get a box with a bunch of Blender file paths listed. A new project file fixes it. When I run into it again I'll post it.

Got it. Happens with every model unfortunately- but thanks anyway Arch.

Not surprising, objects in a hierarchy inherit their parent's transformation matrix (...and thus scaling). Re-parenting a heirarchy can affect scaling if the new parent has different scaling. Read the Blender help docs on the subject.