Porting Discussion

I bet you @@Circa 10-1 they gave us the tools to mod because they were to lazy to finish the game. JKO was completed, JKA wasn't. The jetpack animations were screwed up in sp and mp. We need a fix for that is compatible with good ol' @@Raz0r's JA++ Client.

You mean the jetpack animations that were originally[*implemented for one level? Jesus Christ.

They released SKDs, and externalized as much as possible in the design because they saw that people were excited about trying to mod Elite Forces. It was a deliberate decision to support modders and encourage the practice, in so far as they could do legally. Are you getting SDKs for recent titles? You have an overabundance of companies going out of their way to provide ease of access for modding? I didn't think so.

Think before you post.

Syd0w, eezstreet and Link like this

- Wholly ported content (e.g. a ported model with its original sounds + textures) is not allowed.

- Semi-ported content (ported model with new textures; original model with ported sounds, etc) is allowed.

Very logical and objectiv. I think if file have something illegal, whole file is illegal. Just sayin :v

Very logical and objectiv. I think if file have something illegal, whole file is illegal. Just sayin :v

Yeah, but this at least follows the past logic of "if a model uses sounds ripped from the game, it's fine". This just allows for more things to be possible which imo make sense.

In the interest of reiteration, I'll simply say again that I think that solution is the best. Neither side of the argument will be completely satisfied, which sounds like the definition of a good compromise to me.

A good example are "plugins" made from base maps. Sure they are a build of a decompiled level, but usually this is done in the interest of adding a lot of content while allowing everyone to play on the server with original content without having to download anything.

Example, what I did to FFA3 when I thought I was slick with Radiant.

http://s466.photobucket.com/user/amanitaplaync/slideshow/Plugin

I could certainly agree to something like that.

eezstreet likes this

Ahh, that kinda blows :/ The extra areas looked really awesome when I tried to grapple to them.

The client version has no spawns in the bsp. If you want, you have my permission to open the entity coding and add some info_player_start to the BSP and play it on your own.

Please don't host it though. It will not work correctly without the vast amount of other entity coding that the server version had anyway, and will cause no end of problems.

Yeah, but this at least follows the past logic of "if a model uses sounds ripped from the game, it's fine". This just allows for more things to be possible which imo make sense.

Nope. Or we are against porting or we let people port. First option or second option, not both...

NOPE ALL LEGAL FUK U BYE

wat?

There is no compromise in the law...

For me this topic is so stupid. People was porting for 10 years and everyone were happy. Now few people want to change this, this is illogic...

Even if the risk is nearly 0, it's always best to cover yourself. We're working on a way to make this the case whilst improving our current way of doing things, so nobody gets affected by this. Will be announced this week *Broken record.mp3* :P

Of course, Si. I'm not saying that there is NO chance that it could happen. There's always that ONE chance that happens out of the blue.

Link likes this

Aye, and we'd be smart to protect ourselves and our users appropriately in the unlikely event that it does happen. It is annoying, and copyright in general is unbelievably flawed, but that's just the way it is (dududududu... MCEVA4t.png)

If we are worried about protecting the hub then why is there going to be a poll? Wouldn't the staff have to do what is necessary to protect the site no matter what we want?

I don't think there will be a poll if all the staff ends up agreeing. Sorry about the confusion over that earlier.

C'mon eez, these kids are too new, they weren't around when jk3files almost got shut down for hosting ported content, that's why none of them take it seriously.

It's simple, if you want JKHub to stay in existence then you will quit caring about being able to submit ported content. If you don't then fuck you and gtfo.

I already said it once, if you want to port, port models from games YOU OWN to games YOU OWN and DON'T REDISTRIBUTE THEM.

Circa and Evulant like this