Porting Discussion

Rules?

People stopped giving a shit about rules. Isn't that why Movie Battles II and Mod DB are safe?

• Mod DB is hosting a KotOR Pack
  • Movie Battles II ported Darth Malak
  • Plenty of mods use ported resources in many different forms

That's another form of hypocrisy though. How come JKHub is the only community paying the price? And why are people like me having my files shut down just because of baseless accusations? And how come there are many other port-affiliated files that are placed above suspicion?

Edited by Deviance
Omicron likes this

Just because others break the law/rules doesn't mean we should too.

I never said we should break the law, I'm just asking why JKHub is the only community paying the price.

Rather, why can't ports be distributed as modding resources rather than actual... you know!?

Say, I've reskinned Savage Opress from Khameir plenty lately. Does that make it illegal?

@@eezstreet, you have the right idea about distribution of these kinds of files. I'm angered, however, that JKHub is going through what other communities don't right now and how sounds, for example, are placed above suspicion as opposed to other ports like models.

I never said we should break the law, I'm just asking why JKHub is the only community paying the price.

Rather, why can't ports be distributed as modding resources rather than actual... you know!?

Say, I've reskinned Savage Opress from Khameir plenty lately. Does that make it illegal?

@@eezstreet, you have the right idea about distribution of these kinds of files. I'm angered, however, that JKHub is going through what other communities don't right now and how sounds, for example, are placed above suspicion as opposed to other ports like models.

Paying the price? You mean following the law? Last I checked, if you don't follow the law, typically you wind up paying the price, not the other way around.

DT. and Darth_Bothersome like this

Like I said...I think the best course of action would be to make totally ported content (ie a model ported straight from BF2 -> JKA or a duel music sound pack) not allowed, whereas a mod which may contain ported content would be allowed. I don't understand why sounds have to be different from models, I don't see the point of making exceptions. A rule like this is the simplest and easiest way, and I don't really see much else to debate about.

Like I said...I think the best course of action would be to make totally ported content (ie a model ported straight from BF2 -> JKA or a duel music sound pack) not allowed, whereas a mod which may contain ported content would be allowed. I don't understand why sounds have to be different from models, I don't see the point of making exceptions. A rule like this is the simplest and easiest way, and I don't really see much else to debate about.

Problem. What about saber sounds? If you guys are making exceptions, then wouldn't those fall under that category, despite the fact that they have better quality than the base sounds?

Problem. What about saber sounds? If you guys are making exceptions, then wouldn't those fall under that category, despite the fact that they have better quality than the base sounds?

There wouldn't be an exception to this rule. That type of mod would simply be disallowed, unfortunately. You could include other things such as effects though, I reckon (since the base effects are kinda junk anyway).

Not everyone can do effects, dude.

Not everyone can make models, maps, or sounds either. Your point?

Plus, that rule would mean that good mods like the Dark Forces Mod would be in trouble here. Plus it would also unfairly judge mods like Movie Duels and Movie Battles. :/

No, because Dark Forces, Movie Duels and Movie Battles aren't 100% composed of ported content...

Not everyone can make models, maps, or sounds either. Your point?

No, because Dark Forces, Movie Duels and Movie Battles aren't 100% composed of ported content...

I think the point is that we need to approach this from BOTH sides. I know ported content isn't okay, but as long as there isn't 100% composed of ported content, like you said, the mods will be okay. I mean, I'm sure we all wanna see a successfully completed DF2 Mod for JKA like DT is attempting, a completed Dark Forces mod, even a MOTS mod remade as well. Plus, there were even attempts to make JK2 playable IN JKA.

I think the point is that we need to approach this from BOTH sides. I know ported content isn't okay, but as long as there isn't 100% composed of ported content, like you said, the mods will be okay. I mean, I'm sure we all wanna see a successfully completed DF2 Mod for JKA like DT is attempting, a completed Dark Forces mod, even a MOTS mod remade as well. Plus, there were even attempts to make JK2 playable IN JKA.

That's...kinda what I said. I have no idea how you interpreted it. :D

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

so what modding has become illegal? what the hell is this world coming to?

No.

Mods entirely composed of ported/ripped content (e.g, a model directly ripped from BF2) -> not allowed

Mods containing some ported/ripped content (e.g. a model ripped from X game, given new textures) -> allowed

That's the policy I'm suggesting to JKH staff instead of this weird, convoluted mess they've got going on right now.

Omicron likes this

@, the move to delete your files was abrupt and Ashura has apologized. Please re-upload your files and we will review them after coming to a proper conclusion, as well as the other files that were removed. We still have them on our Dropbox, just not the pages on JKHub.

The point of this thread and discussion is to come to a conclusion about what JKHub's policies really should be, regarding ported content. We understand that many of you are angry, and we are trying our best to get this all figured out. There is no need for raging and absurd exaggerations.

The fact is, we can't please everyone. Every member has his/her own opinion on the matter, and chances are, we will be stepping on some toes here. It's inevitable. We want to come to a conclusion in which benefits the community, and keeps us out of legal trouble. We are using this thread to pool together your ideas. It's difficult when the thread is full of raging statements that get nowhere.

Would a poll be a better idea? We want to hear you guys out. Let's keep a cool head in here.

Just so I can find the right path, who would be doing the sueing? LucasArts? Disney? Raven? Who owns the rights to the sounds now?

It depends on who owns the sounds/content. If you rip from a KotOR game it probably belongs to BioWare or EA. If you rip from JK2, it probably belongs to Raven or Activision.

All of this is assuming you're using content specific to that game, and not shared sounds such as what's used by droids and whatnot. Those probably belong to Disney/Lucasarts/Lucasfilm.

It's messy.

But I generally wouldn't worry about it unless you're doing just a straight sound-replacement mod.