This guy looks like a spoof of StarKiller and could easily be in a SpaceBalls movie. His ears remind me of Alex Kidd. In saying that though, it's only really the head that has the issue. The body is actually fairly good.

I think this has now become a comedy thread, cuz I'm loling my butt off with everyone's comments even though I'm trying hard not to.

• 2 weeks later...

Tone down the shadows on his face, you're closing in on something that looks almost solid black at the transition to the throat, which has no shading yet.

Remember there's bounce light in the world that creates an ambient light, unless you're inside somewhere or it's night, the character will never have almost solid black shading, except in some deep armor crevices or something like that, definitely not on his head with no hood.

Right now you're combination of the bright face and the shading on his cheek/chin/side of the head etc is creating a contrast which is adding a lot to the ruined look. I still think there's a lot of issues with his head, but fixing that shading would be a great step in the right direction.

^The reason why the shading and colors are so bad and far off is because he's using this terrible reference found on page 4

starkiller288x288.jpg

You can't paint a texture based of a reference of someone standing under next to no light.

It also seems that the only person who likes the look of the model is therfiles.

ha! parkinsons finger puppets.. im gunna make one if i get any freetime.

yeah i overdid his contrast by creating a rendermap for no apparent reason. pretty crappy move on my part. but i still got the base ill mess with it one day i got the world on my shoulders right now. but maybe one day

therfiles likes this
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

guess its time to knock the dust off this fucking ogre again...

looking back id like someone to possibly compile the 47 different versions of starkiller chalk has introduced us to.. from lumphead marek to trannykiller... its been a journey

newsamy.jpg

wait... so source code released... i might as well hook it up with a nice bumpmap n stuff in zbrush right? 

The side view looks ok, but the front view has a lot of problems, don't count on maps to fix those issues, they won't do a single thing to improve the actual forms.

Here's a reference cast of facial planes, draw inspiration from it & trace lines on your reference images and compare with your mesh, you'll quickly spot proportions issues.

male-planes-head_1.jpg

thx dude... yeah from the front i see his eyelid area is all scrood and hid forehead looks a lil top heavy like it could possibly just fold his face in half if he got up enough inertia...  and yeah the bumpmap comment was unrelated. i just really need to rework his eye sockets n eyebrows

i just got lazy around his eye sockets cuz i figured they werent gunna be seen ingame... but i wasted enough polies on it i might as well had made it look right lol

some more tinkering

closerp.jpg