You can always optimize after the head is complete (i say complete as in all the geometry down to the neck is finished), you can either remove loops or collapse parallel loops. Just try to plan out your loops before you model, keeping some "main" ones specifically for following the most predominant details of the face, cheek bones, brow, chin, jaw, ect.

You're doing good so far, don't rush it.

ChalklYne likes this

k.. im just practicing noses right now.. i wanna do the topology like the ref i posted.. but he has such a huge nose i keep screwing it up.. trial n error im just gunna keep making nose caps n nostrils til i get one about right might take me a while

The secret is to start as basic as you can and then add edge loops. Make the nose triangle like, then add loops and smooth the shape, use the tweak tool (M key) as much as you can. Don't waste your time selecting vertices and hitting the move tool, that's just too slow.

ChalklYne likes this

You aren't showing enough angles to give crits.

Please, PLEASE QUIT RENDERING to show pics, the mental ray default setting WILL NOT show the same result as the games renderer, just turn the headlight on in the viewport and do a simple print screen from multiple angles.

Looks like some loops around the eyes can be removed, the upper lip could use a loop and the corners of the mouth are werid looking.

thats not a render thats shaded n headlight

critzj.jpg

critzc.jpg

yeah like i said im gunnna remove stuff at the end im more talking about how f'ed up hes looking around his cheecks n between his eyes im wondering if between his eyes i should spread those top verts out a bit and his cheeks look like i need to change the loops a bit to fit it better. i might be off n on for a while i have some music stuff to take care of and it is ridiculously time consuming

if i use the grey backround it hurts my eyes after a while.. i see what yer saying tho the shading blends in with the backround. if i use the grey also the model sometimes blends in with the backround.. i can just go into preferences>scene colors n find something different maybe blue like milkshape? anything thats not too bright cuz i work on this stuff, then music all day but regardless its a lotta staring at the monitor lol. so scene colors>blue sound good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uPSgME2B6A&feature=youtu.be

Looks much better and it doesn't like a caricature like the previous one. The polygon flow looks very good. Finish the head and then proceed to the fine tuning. I'll help you out if you send the file when it's ready.

ChalklYne likes this

new1qy.jpg

still gotta do ears

then all i have to do is make it look like sam lmao

i think its mainly the triangle face he has from the front view

tumblrltxs6l5dcz1qldpy8.gif

i hate triangle face

maybe just round out those cheekbones a little and pull the back of his jaw up more towards his ear u think?

Alright, looking better than the previous one no doubt. Here's a quick draw over of the thing I find most evidently wrong:

new1qy.jpg

This is not meant for you to use as rotoscope images, this is for you to try to notice and fixed this thing using you current references. Always take draw overs as guidelines to help notice stuff that's wrong or things you could try and revert if they don't work out. One thing you may want to consider if you don't want the camera FOV to distort the head so much is using the User camera or simply try editing the camera FOV and reduce it until what you see in the 3D viewport is more similar to what you have been working on on the 2D viewports.

ChalklYne likes this

prog4p.jpg

so i took out a little butt from his chin.. fixed up his jawline, modelled in the ears, adjusted the head shape, 

and a bunch of overall just smoothing and touching of verts

so where am i going here? uv map so i can get him into zbrush and start some of the finer details? or any other geometry adjustments need to be made first? 

hey corto.. theres some things like the transition from his jaw to his neck that i seem to be screwing up.. can i pm u this model and u can take a look since ill prolly have to do 15 screenshots to illustrate all the janky parts?

dont fix it for me, but instead maybe give a little insight with a better view

also...

look at his lips if u could