Jump to content

Work in progress: New Republic Prison Ship from The Mandalorian


Recommended Posts

Had a block of time to work on the map today.   

Tried focusing on the construction of the cell doors -  after several unshown iterations today, its very close and beginning to look symmetrical.      The door could possibly a very tiny upsize, or at least a change to the doors bevel width.    A texture to contine the wall lines across to the door bevels should give it a nice contiguous look.

Excuse all the mostly redundant pictures, this is the first map ill be publishing, and im still excited about the process.   In future maps,  ill refrain from posting minor updates, and post only when there is something substantial to show.

PEiuUW0.jpg

CkhMAzI.jpg

ng0KabH.jpg

HUM-3154 and DarthValeria like this
Link to post

Textured the bevels around the cell doors to match to the wall texture "seamlessly".

Also worked on resizing the doors.    Went to far!     It will have to be redone.      Even though the door is now larger, the player model cannot fit through the door - the door space is 76 units in diameter.      Still troubleshooting why I cannot move the player model through even when crouching.

ixVuZA5.jpg04wquFR.jpg

kNR98G7.jpgkWbDYMy.jpg

GPChannel, Noodle, ZelZel and 2 others like this
Link to post

Working on the map today, and approaching the point where I would like to beta test the basic layouts before proceeding to build out the rest of the map.

Besides finalizing the geometry and connecting the corridors properly,  the one thing that I think may need to be addressed is the scale.     

I used a set picture that included a person to set a scale factor and measured out the geometry pieces to scale.   

In 1st person it looks close to the source, though in 3rd person it appears a bit cramped - though the sizes are fairly close from the photo source.    

Im wondering if the columns and ceiling height need to be larger,  to accommodate a better 3rd person point of view.

8ajQ19q.jpg

akmNp8K.jpg

MoHRSQw.jpgqYUvk1x.jpg

ZelZel, DarthValeria and Reepray like this
Link to post

Hmmm, I see what you mean... Some useful codes to test with would be:

CG_draw2d 0 (turns hud off, 1 to turn back on)
CG_thirdpersonrange 120 (normal is 80, this lets you get a different angle and check things)

I'd also suggest spawning NPCs to use as independent tests of the size. If it wasn't based off of source material I'd say it is the perfect size, but I know the ship was big enough for the intruders and droids to bunch up so it might be a bit snug.

fullkevlar likes this
Link to post
18 hours ago, ZanderNao said:

Hmmm, I see what you mean... Some useful codes to test with would be:

CG_draw2d 0 (turns hud off, 1 to turn back on)
CG_thirdpersonrange 120 (normal is 80, this lets you get a different angle and check things)

I'd also suggest spawning NPCs to use as independent tests of the size. If it wasn't based off of source material I'd say it is the perfect size, but I know the ship was big enough for the intruders and droids to bunch up so it might be a bit snug.

 

Here are a few photos in those parameters.

You can fit 3-4 people across, which is what they showed in the source.   I believe at one time there are 3-4 battle droids approaching in formation.      Im not opposed to enlarging it to some degree, after some feedback and possibly before a beta test, if it could help gameplay.

ea4yUkj.jpg

q9LEbyM.jpg

kPmyrC7.jpg

aW47WpR.jpg

wi1RZ8O.jpg

sFScQMN.jpg

ZelZel, HUM-3154, lpriefer01 and 1 other like this
Link to post
1 hour ago, ZanderNao said:

spacer.png
I don't know, it feels like you're spot on... spacer.png

Well that was the photo I used to measure scale in a photo editing program lol.

I'll likely keep it as it stands for now, and focus on the cell door geometry and build out a mini version of the map to test.

 

Link to post

I put in a few hours today building the test layout for an alpha/beta test.   Its built to a near testable state.

But then I tried to increase light from the column shaders and I broke the shader.   And of course, the backup I saved ended up being just a copy of the broken shader...  ooops.

I'll have to bug fix at a later time, I need a break lol.      

8OOMS5Z.jpg

OT1YnCP.jpg

L8PRWXp.jpg

18nlKC9.jpg

2HImMom.jpg

bpTVRDt.jpg

DarthValeria likes this
Link to post

Hello there.

If you feel like playermodels are too dark on some places, or everywhere, you could try adding lightJunior entities.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Though we may need a more experienced mapper to confirm if too many lightJunior entities have any hit on performance.

I've used 5 of them, with nonlinear falloff, on my World Between Worlds map to light up playermodels, since the map had no need for normal light entities except for the Sith altar room, and they've done a perfect job without any issues on performance.

fullkevlar and DarthValeria like this
Link to post
15 hours ago, Reepray said:

Hello there.

If you feel like playermodels are too dark on some places, or everywhere, you could try adding lightJunior entities.

  Hide contents

spacer.png

Though we may need a more experienced mapper to confirm if too many lightJunior entities have any hit on performance.

I've used 5 of them, with nonlinear falloff, on my World Between Worlds map to light up playermodels, since the map had no need for normal light entities except for the Sith altar room, and they've done a perfect job without any issues on performance.

It could be worth a shot.

I still have to refine all of the textures and shaders, everything is currently placeholder work in progress.   I do not think my light shaders are working properly, I have yet to sit down and fully bug fix them.   

Also, I only did a test compile, so the lighting wasn't the best.  Here are a few shots with a more thorough compile.    Better, but still needs to be refined.   

faN7V9w.jpg

XU7btZP.jpgN4n1yNS.jpg

Link to post
4 hours ago, Noodle said:

So far you've done a great job, quite impressive really! I wouldn't advice you to change the scale, given that you're pretty close to the original reference. Making it a cramped space will add to the complexity of the map in MBII in my opinion. 

Thank you for the feedback.

One thing that is readily apparent if I keep everything to scale - will have to come up with a way to clip around the base of the pillars to help prevent players sticking to the columns in the smaller corridors.

DarthValeria likes this
Link to post

So, I'm not sure if you're strictly going with visual comparisons for scale, but if you need measurements, Bill Burr is 5'10" and Pascal is 5'11". Both actors appear to come up to roughly 2/3 the height of the corridor right?
Typically (atleast in the old JK games, I used 1jku as 1 meter since the Kyle model was roughly 1.87 meters) so if we assume that the player models in JA follow that same scale, 1.87 meters,  then the scale would be roughly 96 units from floor to ceiling?

Your POV camera between the 1st and 3rd person is in a different location. 1st appears to be below the head height and 3rd is obviously above. Personally I prefer sticking with 1st person perspective for scale testings, only using 3rd or additional models (kyle player reference works well here) to actually check the height scale.

As for your door, I've done a crouch test myself and I've found that on a standard 64-8subdivision the height for crouch was 56units. this was from floor to ceiling, and add an 8unit "ledge" that i walked up to, tapped crouch and ducked right in. So unless its additional collision from your door model then 72 should be enough clearance to enter. Not sure if the same physics applies to cylindrical entries, but try walking up to the door way, and tapping crouch as you "walk into" the doorway.
How high is the door ledge off the floor?

Edited by ZeroRaven
Updated comparison data

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

Link to post
12 hours ago, ZeroRaven said:

So, I'm not sure if you're strictly going with visual comparisons for scale, but if you need measurements, Bill Burr is 5'10" and Pascal is 5'11". Both actors appear to come up to roughly 2/3 the height of the corridor right?
Typically (atleast in the old JK games, I used 1jku as 1 meter since the Kyle model was roughly 1.87 meters) so if we assume that the player models in JA follow that same scale, 1.87 meters,  then the scale would be roughly 96 units from floor to ceiling?

Your POV camera between the 1st and 3rd person is in a different location. 1st appears to be below the head height and 3rd is obviously above. Personally I prefer sticking with 1st person perspective for scale testings, only using 3rd or additional models (kyle player reference works well here) to actually check the height scale.

As for your door, I've done a crouch test myself and I've found that on a standard 64-8subdivision the height for crouch was 56units. this was from floor to ceiling, and add an 8unit "ledge" that i walked up to, tapped crouch and ducked right in. So unless its additional collision from your door model then 72 should be enough clearance to enter. Not sure if the same physics applies to cylindrical entries, but try walking up to the door way, and tapping crouch as you "walk into" the doorway.
How high is the door ledge off the floor?

I considered the height of the actors, and then decided to go off of the standard 65 unit height for a player model to determine scale.  (and then measured the character in the photo, and subsequently went through and measured all the geometry, did the math and scaled it to map units accordingly)

Good eye - currently floor to ceiling height is 96 units.

I did try to make an invisible no draw ledge leading up to the door frame, but it did not work.   I suspect I made the doorway sloppily, it was a bit rushed - or as I like to say its first iteration lol. 

I also did not truly scale the doors yet, though I will be doing so, which I think should enlarge the doorframe slightly.       

I just checked, and currently the doors at 5 units up from the floor brush.

Link to post
37 minutes ago, ZeroRaven said:

@fullkevlar next time you test the map, try the walking up to it and tapping crouch. With only a 5unit gap at the ledge, it shouldn't be that big a difference. The crouch tap also worked at 64 units with an 8 unit ledge, but didn't at 48 units.

Thank you, I'll try your suggestion.  

Currently the cell construction is detached from when I last resized the working map area.

Though prior to that I did try rolling, crouch jumping and etc.  With no luck at getting the character through the doorframe.

An NPC could be spawned in the cell no problem.

I'll reattach the cell to a doorframe and try what you suggested next time I can work on the map.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...