my attempt on Starkiller

awesome. hairlines just too scraggly. you can see in the game he has a nicely trimmed hairline all around. great job

some quick hair refs 4 ya

98e3.jpg

i have a "short hair brush" for zbrush if anyone wants it. it works wonders

also... @@AshuraDX   check out that shadow in the side ref pic that goes from his upper lip almost down to his jaw. looks like a major witwer lips defining area. maybe that'll help tie that side view in a bit more

I also think you should maybe work on it a bit in low res mode so you can fix those blocky shading areas if you can

since of course ingame it will be the low res model

also forehead looks too squared at the top

also try and fix that ubtusely stretched poly at the sides of his nose causing that shading problem. its the one touching his nostril, then does an obtuse angle to attach to his face. maybe bring that far right vert in a bit towards the nostril til it has a smoother shading transition? youll see what i mean when you check it out

this one... see how its folded in half because of the angle its at?

ahf3.jpg

Hey sorry to bug you and all, but you mentioned in the starkiller post that you have a short hair brush? is this for photoshop? If so is it compatible with CS3? And if it is to both of those questions do you think I could get it from you? I struggle at hair on my skins. 

Thank you for your time.

AngelModder 

Hey sorry to bug you and all, but you mentioned in the starkiller post that you have a short hair brush? is this for photoshop? If so is it compatible with CS3? And if it is to both of those questions do you think I could get it from you? I struggle at hair on my skins. 

Thank you for your time.

AngelModder 

I use the smudge tool method.  :winkthumb:

I use the smudge tool method.  :winkthumb:

The smudge too does alright but I dont like how low res it leaves the texture more often then not. I generally try to avoid doing skins where I will have to mess with hair (aside from recolors etc) but if I could find a PS CS3 brush that could help, I may take on different varieties of skins.

The smudge too does alright but I dont like how low res it leaves the texture more often then not. I generally try to avoid doing skins where I will have to mess with hair (aside from recolors etc) but if I could find a PS CS3 brush that could help, I may take on different varieties of skins.

well I used a specific brush in cs 6 , which might have been in cs 3 aswell

The brush I use kind of simulates a real brush , you get to set the amount of bristles , their length and stiffness and even a cut off angle

I'll screenshot my brush settings for you but I cant guarantee that you got this brush

yoa5UTG.jpg

I could try to write a tutorial on painting hair like this , but as I jsut found out about this by experimenting and playing around with various brushes I odnt know wether I should really write a tutorial on that

Edit : I altered the brush shape from angled to bend/rounded , and made this in about 5 minutes

CGCJlkq.png

just a tiny sample , @@AngelModder I'd suggest using a tablet if you have one , I think it wont work that well with a mouse

I like it, one of the closest so far, i don't know if that'll help but here's what i'd tweak:

-The eyesockets / eyes could be sunked in more, but dont' touch the brow.
-Bring back the bridge of the nose too.

-The bottom of the jawline is too "circular"  (just straighten the bottom part and keep the angle of the vertical plane pretty much the same because you don't want to have a 90 degree angle either)
-Neck in sideview is too thick, just push it towards the front a little (mostly where it meets the cranium *i think*)

-The tip of the nose should be straight.
-More volume on bottom of chin.

-Tweak the shape of the earhole texture...it's missing a small opening near the lobe and makes my spidey sense totally tingle!
-The skin tone is very flat and washed out, that's the drawback of relying too much on AO.
Here's some theory to hand painting skin tones (unfortunately it's not that easy and takes practice)
http://www.pig-brain.com/tutorials/tut01-01/

I like it, one of the closest so far, i don't know if that'll help but here's what i'd tweak:

-The eyesockets / eyes could be sunked in more, but dont' touch the brow.

-Bring back the bridge of the nose too.

-The bottom of the jawline is too "circular"  (just straighten the bottom part and keep the angle of the vertical plane pretty much the same because you don't want to have a 90 degree angle either)

-Neck in sideview is too thick, just push it towards the front a little (mostly where it meets the cranium *i think*)

-The tip of the nose should be straight.

-More volume on bottom of chin.

-Tweak the shape of the earhole texture...it's missing a small opening near the lobe and makes my spidey sense totally tingle!

-The skin tone is very flat and washed out, that's the drawback of relying too much on AO.

Here's some theory to hand painting skin tones (unfortunately it's not that easy and takes practice)

http://www.pig-brain.com/tutorials/tut01-01/

AH Thanks a lot @@Psyk0Sith !

I've seen that tutorial ages ago when I started modding for JKA

and I couldn't find it when I started painting head textures , you dont know how long I've been looking for that :o

The portion circled in green is practically non existant.

j1ar.jpg

Also check the size and placement of the antihelix (that curved shape that goes from the lobe to the top of the ear), most of the ear's opening is located down while yours is slightly higher, this throws off the proportions and the viewer will sense something is wrong without knowing what.

• 2 weeks later...

I think in general the head is too tall compared to how wide it is, kinda looks more like Sheldon Cooper than Starkiller right now I'd say. ( well not quite but you get what I mean :) )

to me the head appeared to wide and not tall enough so I overlayed a picture of the original sculpt they used for TFU over my model in mudbox and used that as quide to alter my model (after matching the perspective as close as possible)

so I think that's not what's off

lLkDyyT.png  altered the chin

therfiles and ChalklYne like this