What "inspired" you to buy the game?

A bit of a story topic, what made you want to get Jedi Academy, was it Jedi Outcast? was it a magical game pixie? tell us your story.

Mine:

Buying Jedi Academy took multiple attempts, at the time I bought it I was using a windows 98 (aka piece of shit). I had played the xbox demo of the game multiple times at Wal-mart and I loved it, so I begged my parents to get me it, they let me, I started it up but single player would not work. Only multiplayer. So we took the game back to Wal-mart.

Fast forward a year later I discovered filefront for the first time, I downloaded a lot of mods for Jedi Outcast (Dark Alliance, Mace Windu: Party Crasher, prison escape, etc). Then episode 3 came out in theaters, I saw it, and I was amazed how many episode 3 mods were already out there, and all of them were for Jedi Academy. At first I tried running the maps in Jedi Outcast (not something I recommend you do). Then I finally decided to try Jedi Academy again, after a lot of looking it over, my dad found the problem and I could play Jedi Academy as I wanted to.

Technically I didn't buy it til this year. I inherited my brother's copy years ago when he decided he was bored of it -- understandably so. After playing Jedi Outcast I probably wouldn't have bought it when it was new. Didn't like Jedi Outcast's multiplayer, and the Jedi Academy single-player definitely left a lot to be desired. But I did buy it when it was on sale for like $2.50 on Steam so I didn't have to keep track of the discs when I wanted to start modding again.

Waaay back I decided to try out Jedi Outcast because a fellow fan and friend of mine introduced me to it. Back then it was mostly all FFA and I hadn't even been introduced to the idea of Roleplaying. Ancient times they were....Anyway, I joined a clan called The Force Order - {TFO} and it had Roleplaying aspects mixed with ffa'ing.

I still remember the name of my first apprenticeship under a "Jedi Master" named Vex in one of my earlier clans...

Those days set the JKA series in stone, for me. I was much younger and back then the PC was my step fathers. I used to hate the amount of limited time I was allowed to play the game but I took up every chance I could get. To me, back then, there was no game greater than Jedi Outcast's Multiplayer.

>| KDR Exile |<

Roughily 12 years old in Woolworths in Nuneaton around the time of release, I was walking through the games section (I didn't have any money, I just didn't want to follow my Mum around shopping) I spotted JA, picked it up, read the back and nearly wet myself with excitement. I stood there until my Mum came to get me, then went overboard explaining how important it was that I had this game in my life. "You don't understand, you get to be Kyle Katarn's Padawan! He's that guy from the Dark Forces game, that one you bought me ages ago!" etc etc. It's worth noting that I'd never heard of, nor played JKO. I got my hands on Dark Forces 2 because the same thing happened as just explained, just in a different store and several years previous. "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE A LIGHTSABER IN THIS ONE!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!" Thankfully, my Mum remembered the countless hours I put into Dark Forces one and bought me the direct sequel and expansion pack on the spot. I'll have to give her a hug later now.

MUG likes this

The first friend I made in college was as big of a Star Wars buff as I was. He gave me a copied disc of the game (I've since purchased it on Steam) so that we could play together. It was my first multiplayer game, in fact. I'd never had a pc or internet connection before college that could handle games that didn't come out in like.. 1996. I'm glad he introduced me, because if he hadn't I wouldn't have met some of my best friends or my husband.

I got randomly given it as a gift when it was new and had no interest in it at all, never completed it or touched the multiplayer.

Then at some point years later when we got broadband (yeah, I know) I went through my games for multiplayer ones. Then it basically lived in my CD drive for several years.

We used to get some sort of magazine in the mail, it had a CD with some random stuff on it, and usually a demo of some game. I never cared for the magazine or the demos.

But then one time, I saw a jedi featured on the disc, looking all bad-ass

2Q3jD.png

This one. So decided to install it and check it out. To this day, I think the demo level included on that CD is the greatest level I've played in both JO and JA xD The boss fight was just epic. I played it over and over. And then I went and got the full game, transferred to JKA when it came out, been actively playing JK ever since ^^

If none of you played the JO demo, check it out, it has a level that's not part of the full game :)

i got JKO in "star wars the best of pc" a few years back i played it and i loved it :wub: (i still think it's the best star wars gamer ever)

i then found out about modding when trying to find a walkthrough for kotor and somehow i found

lucasfiles.com and i saw a "jedi knight outcast" section

i later found filefront and discovered JKA

and the rest is history

i resonantly brought the entire jedi knight collection on steam

just so i have a backup if my disk ever dies