Han Solo

Well, the fasted kitbash/port can be done as i said by using TFA's Old Han body from Lervish and using TFU2's head. But the head itself has too much parts, that must be put in the right order, when you assign them to the JKA's skeleton/body and you know, that my problem with the weight paint tool is that it shows me all in red after i paint it, but somehow Blender keeps saying, that there is a blue (unweighted) mesh. Or if not it'll say, that they must be split. So that's the only part that keeps me out of exporting it already...

Well, the fasted kitbash/port can be done as i said by using TFA's Old Han body from Lervish and using TFU2's head. But the head itself has too much parts, that must be put in the right order, when you assign them to the JKA's skeleton/body and you know, that my problem with the weight paint tool is that it shows me all in red after i paint it, but somehow Blender keeps saying, that there is a blue (unweighted) mesh. Or if not it'll say, that they must be split. So that's the only part that keeps me out of exporting it already...

Are you weight-painting manually? For a head there are only two main bones to worry about (cervical and cranium) and there's a straightforward method to weighing it to these bones in Blender in a way that ensures no vertices are missed out. Just do as follows:

- Enter 'Edit Mode'.

- Select all vertices/faces along the bottom half of the neck.

- Along the right-hand side menu, go to the Object Data tab, and then open the Vertex Groups drop-down window.

- Click the '+' sign to add a new Vertex Group. Double-click it and rename to 'cervical' (no quotation marks).

- Making sure the vertices/faces for the bottom half of the neck are still selected in Edit Mode, make sure the Weight bar is set to 1.000 and then click 'Assign'.

- Click the '+' sign again to create another Vertext Group. Name this one 'cranium'.

- On your model, click CTRL+I. This should make an inverse selection of your previously selected vertices/faces (in other words, every vertex that hasn't been weighed yet).

- With this new selection, click 'Assign' to weigh them all to the 'cranium' bone.

- Voila.

^ That's just a basic set-up for a quick-fix kitbash. Depending on the individual model's needs you may need to tweak the weighing manually somewhat (or in some cases, such as an alien with tentacles or a human with long hair) you may even need to introduce other bones like 'thoracic' (torso) that needs part of the head mesh weighed to it. 

But at the very least, the above steps will ensure every vertex/face on that mesh will be weighed to -something- and will avoid the 'no weight found for ___ vertices' error when exporting.

dark_apprentice and Ramikad like this

Are you weight-painting manually? For a head there are only two main bones to worry about (cervical and cranium) and there's a straightforward method to weighing it to these bones in Blender in a way that ensures no vertices are missed out. Just do as follows:

- Enter 'Edit Mode'.

- Select all vertices/faces along the bottom half of the neck.

- Along the right-hand side menu, go to the Object Data tab, and then open the Vertex Groups drop-down window.

- Click the '+' sign to add a new Vertex Group. Double-click it and rename to 'cervical' (no quotation marks).

- Making sure the vertices/faces for the bottom half of the neck are still selected in Edit Mode, make sure the Weight bar is set to 1.000 and then click 'Assign'.

- Click the '+' sign again to create another Vertext Group. Name this one 'cranium'.

- On your model, click CTRL+I. This should make an inverse selection of your previously selected vertices/faces (in other words, every vertex that hasn't been weighed yet).

- With this new selection, click 'Assign' to weigh them all to the 'cranium' bone.

- Voila.

^ That's just a basic set-up for a quick-fix kitbash. Depending on the individual model's needs you may need to tweak the weighing manually somewhat (or in some cases, such as an alien with tentacles or a human with long hair) you may even need to introduce other bones like 'thoracic' (torso) that needs part of the head mesh weighed to it. 

But at the very least, the above steps will ensure every vertex/face on that mesh will be weighed to -something- and will avoid the 'no weight found for ___ vertices' error when exporting.

Thanks, that helped but now it seems is turn for @@Seven how do you manage to fit those TFU big verts on JKA, because here is what ModView says after i try to load in the model:

ERROR: R_LoadMDXM: models/players/kenobi_master/model.glm has more than 1000 verts on a surface (1358)

Well i know about a way to make them less, but it deforms the original shape of the model and not sure if it works.

Thanks, that helped but now it seems is turn for @@Seven how do you manage to fit those TFU big verts on JKA, because here is what ModView says after i try to load in the model:

ERROR: R_LoadMDXM: models/players/kenobi_master/model.glm has more than 1000 verts on a surface (1358)

Well i know about a way to make them less, but it deforms the original shape of the model and not sure if it works.

didn't openjk raise the vert limit?

If I've correctly understood your problem, you can just separate part of object in a new one to reduce vertex count of the original object. Select object [object_name_0], in Edit mode select desired part of mesh, then select a drop-down menu Mesh->Vertices->Separate->Selection. That's all, selected part of mesh just separated into a new object named [object_name_0.001].
dark_apprentice likes this

If I've correctly understood your problem, you can just separate part of object in a new one to reduce vertex count of the original object. Select object [object_name_0], in Edit mode select desired part of mesh, then select a drop-down menu Mesh->Vertices->Separate->Selection. That's all, selected part of mesh just separated into a new object named [object_name_0.001].

Done, except that after i renamed it correctly and exported the glm Blender got back to the "Head_obi2_0 (LOD 0) from Blender: Vertex without UV coordinates found!" did i accidently changed anything?

I'm still holding out for @@DT85's Han model. :lol:

I wouldn't hold you breath, DT's stated that he's trying to stay clear of any models that have to do with skin mesh. And he's trying to only really work with models that use some sort of armor, like Stormtroopers. etc. Which, he still also needs to release his updated Ep. 7 Stormtrooper and updated version of Luke.

Done, except that after i renamed it correctly and exported the glm Blender got back to the "Head_obi2_0 (LOD 0) from Blender: Vertex without UV coordinates found!" did i accidently changed anything?

Apparently, mesh from TFU has single "junk" vertices, that are not related to textured part (I encountered a same problem before, when used meshes converted from sWBF2). For solve this problem by deletion of "junk" verticles, you have to go to the "Edit mode", then choose select mode "Vertex select", then deselect all vertices of mesh (Ctrl+A), then go into UV edit mode (Shift+F10), select all (Ctrl+A), then go to "Edit mode" again (Shift+F5), then inverse selection (Ctrl+I). This sequence of actions should select all verts that haven't related to UV map (and, most likely, it's just a result of some conversion glitch or some sort of else junk) whose deletion should solve your error.
Kualan and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Apparently, mesh from TFU has single "junk" vertices, that are not related to textured part (I encountered a same problem before, when used meshes converted from sWBF2). For solve this problem by deletion of "junk" verticles, you have to go to the "Edit mode", then choose select mode "Vertex select", then deselect all vertices of mesh (Ctrl+A), then go into UV edit mode (Shift+F10), select all (Ctrl+A), then go to "Edit mode" again (Shift+F5), then inverse selection (Ctrl+I). This sequence of actions should select all verts that haven't related to UV map (and, most likely, it's just a result of some conversion glitch or some sort of else junk) whose deletion should solve your error.

That's a good way of cleaning up the junk vertices that I never thought of before. I tend to go into Face Select mode, select everything, then press H to hide it. This will make everything temporarily disappear apart from the junk vertices. Then I just pop back to Vertex Select, select all, and delete before pressing Alt+H to make the UV-mapped mesh re-appear.

Your way seems more like the 'proper' way to do it though, so thanks for pointing it out. I'll give it a go next time.

Alternately @@dark_apprentice , you can try using the Decimate modifier to reduce a high-poly mesh's vertex count:

1. Select the mesh you wish to reduce in Object Mode.

2. Click the 'Modifier' tab (the wrench icon) in the right-hand side menu.

3. Click add modifier -> Decimate.

4. Typically I set the ratio bar to 0.12 but you will need to tinker with this to get the right results.

5. Click apply and it should reduce the overall vertex count of the mesh.

Now, results can vary with this method - sometimes it will morph the actual shape of the mesh too much and that's something you don't want. But sometimes it works beautifully (it's how I got the Battlefront 3 Dengar head to work as a single mesh, with no loss of quality) so give it a try some time. I've yet to try it with a TFU source asset.

Vade Parvis likes this
Alternately @@dark_apprentice , you can try using the Decimate modifier to reduce a high-poly mesh's vertex count:

4. Typically I set the ratio bar to 0.12 but you will need to tinker with this to get the right results.

Now, results can vary with this method - sometimes it will morph the actual shape of the mesh too much and that's something you don't want. But sometimes it works beautifully (it's how I got the Battlefront 3 Dengar head to work as a single mesh, with no loss of quality) so give it a try some time. I've yet to try it with a TFU source asset.

Yep. But use with caution: it seems that older versions of Blender destroy the UVMap of the mesh using that modifier. As far as I know it's safe with Blender 2.67+.

That's a good way of cleaning up the junk vertices that I never thought of before. I tend to go into Face Select mode, select everything, then press H to hide it. This will make everything temporarily disappear apart from the junk vertices. Then I just pop back to Vertex Select, select all, and delete before pressing Alt+H to make the UV-mapped mesh re-appear.

Your way seems more like the 'proper' way to do it though, so thanks for pointing it out. I'll give it a go next time.

Why do that when you could just split into more parts and keep the quality of the model.

Why do that when you could just split into more parts and keep the quality of the model.

If it works, it's far less time-consuming. Splitting the parts is still a viable second option, but you have to do so in a logical way and not just split something in half or into quarters, etc, as splitting it into different surfaces has an effect on how lighting/shader effects will render in-game.

• 4 weeks later...

Is possible somehow to port battlefront 3 models? This Han Solo looks really accurate :)

rendition1.img.jpg

Actually, this Han Solo model is a rendering for promotional purpose. In the game, he doesn't look like that.

This his how he really looks like in the game:

2964980-gameplay_starwarsbattlefront_han

• 5 months later...

I've had this guy sitting on my PC for awhile now, and with the recent changes to the EULA of Star Wars games I'll probably try to find the time to finish fine-tweaking the weighing:

ConceptHanSolo.jpg

I know he isn't wearing his canon outfit from the film, but the model was originally made for my postponed comic series, Tales From The Rebellion.

Please, please, please, pretty please!!! ;) Don't tell me this project is still sitting on your hard drive, or worse! If need be, I'll take over and weight it! We need this! I need it!!! XD (Waited 12 years for it...)

• 1 month later...