i am curious where so many of you get your ideas from.

where do so many of you get your ideas from, where do u get your inspearation from. for me i feel like everytime i try to make a level my mind runs blank and i cant not think of what i want to do or what i want to next. and its just frustutating to feel this way. and i am just so curious where so many of you get your ideas from.

Whilst I can sit down and think of something eventually, usually my most creative thoughts come from when I'm not trying to force myself to come up with ideas e.g. I could be studying and read something that catches my imagination, then suddenly I've drawn some vector art or set up a photography shot relating to that inspiration.

I'm no mapper but that's how I approach ideas for my own projects.

Master Ridley and eezstreet like this

I guess it's different from a coding perspective than a creative perspective, but most of the ideas I get are basically formed when playing the game itself. Like I might tell myself, Wouldn't it be cool if the rockets fired from this gun flew a bit drunkenly?" or "Damn it, this is really pissing me off. This needs fixed."

I suppose from a creative perspective, one might play some games and think, "Wow. Something like that might be cool to see in JA, or maybe I'll implement a bed of spikes similar to this in one of my projects."

I dunno. That's where I got some of the ideas I got anyway.

Master Ridley and serenity0937 like this

Normally, all I have to do is walk around in the city and I'm swarmed with ideas and perspectives. Then I just grab my camera and start clicking. That's from a photographer perspective. As for JKA, it's simply ideas that no-one thinks of, such as custom chat icons or translation scripts. You don't find alot of those around so you just go out and start doing them.

Link and Master Ridley like this

I have to find a movement that I want to replace first. Then I have to act through the movement a few times to see if I feel natural doing it.

Then I'll preform the action in front of a mirror to see how it looks to an observer.

Find a balance between function and aesthetic.

Then start animating it.

I'll normally have to act it out a few times while doing the animation to make sure I'm getting it right.

As for inspirations I look at other games or movies for one.

I have a few different sword styles planned that are based off the Historical European Martial Arts that I practice.

DT. likes this

Usually I'm super board bored riding the bus/train home and bring nothing but a notepad with me.  Ideas tend to hop into my head when I'm just sitting there board bored, so I write them down, start improving them, then write some pseudo-code, control diagrams, etc...

JKG Developer

• 2 weeks later...

Usually I'm super board riding the bus/train home and bring nothing but a notepad with me.  Ideas tend to hop into my head when I'm just sitting there board, so I write them down, start improving them, then write some pseudo-code, control diagrams, etc...

I wasn't going to correct you, but since you typed it twice:

It's spelled "bored", as in feeling weary because one is unoccupied or lacks interest in one's current activity. A "board" is a long, thin, flat piece of wood or other hard material, used for floors or other building purposes.

Just helping you out.  ;)

As far as my ideas, it's kind of what eezstreet was saying from a coding perspective, except mine is just a modding perspective. I play the game (usually SP) and think "Wouldn't this be a cool feature?" or "The game would look better with this", etc.

eezstreet likes this

I wasn't going to correct you, but since you typed it twice:

It's spelled "bored", as in feeling weary because one is unoccupied or lacks interest in one's current activity. A "board" is a long, thin, flat piece of wood or other hard material, used for floors or other building purposes.

Just helping you out.  ;)

Oops.  Perhaps I should have you be my post editor?  My brain does funny things sometimes.

Circa likes this

JKG Developer

• 2 weeks later...

Try recreating something. Like a scene from a Star Wars movie or TV show. Then try expanding it out a little.

Those are my suggestions for inspiration. Other then just putting blocks together and lighting it.

Other Q3 games like Star Trek Elite Force are a lot better about this since there's a sheer amount of stuff to recreate in Star Trek.

• 3 weeks later...

Heck yeah to Castlevania! I've always wanted to do "A Jedi in Castlevania" mod. People tried to make a whip style but it was too much work at the time. If it is possible now, well...

@@OmegaSigma has a ton of Castlevania map stuff going on. Tobi made some killer skins too that fit perfectly. And I'm currently working on a map just for fun, might release it... we'll see.

Topic getting a bit old, but when in makermod and deciding what to build, I get my inspiration from other games as well. Like when I decided to build my makermod train with bedrooms, I got that idea from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, where you are on that train level.