Jedi Home III - Temple Edition

btw did u notced (of course u did) but in the picture when we can see Kyle too the JK Logo has no texture :)

Noticed, Ive got like 100 screenshots of different little tweaks and such I need to make XD... It gets quiet annoying. Been messing with the map atmospherically today. Decided rather then just one lame ass music track playing through the entire building. I'd use different songs for different area's themed to fit ofcourse. Most coming from kotor.

Oh dear... Well, I mean having different music for different areas is good for atmosphere, but then it's independent of the player's music volume settings. They usually get implemented as an effect noise which means you can't escape it and keep the sound effects unless you modify the pk3 to neutralize the songs... But swinging back to the positive side, at least it would make it different!

AngelModder likes this

I hope you have several *back ups* of your map file(s) on several devices. It's a shame to lose days or months worth of work.

Oh god, that's a good point. There are so many maps and files I've been following that got lost forever because of something like that...

Smoo likes this

available for testing yet? Can we use force and move things around? M/P S/P combo ftw.

Not just yet, I'm working as fast as possible atm between life and that sleep thing we humans have to do for atleast a few hours here and there. 

Went through last night doing a clean sweep bug check using my Steam version of the game as a clean base. making adjustments and fine tuning's to whats there so far before moving on. I am debaiting have a few people do some early early pre alpha testing with me on my server here in about a week. However I need to pick individuals who also map. As atm that's the POV I need for spotting problems and suggestions. 

After that Alpha testing with a selected group from here will begin. That map overall is about 75-80% complete. Theirs still a room here and there that needs its detailing and such, but nothing too drastic. Once that is complete and the secret area's are in theirs one more area I am considering adding. 

Some time tonight I'll begin working on fitting the Council chambers and Ceremony Hall in as well, however those will not be seen untill full release aside from the pre alpha and alpha testers. 

I have also considered once Pre alpha testing is complete, pulling out the main lobby and maybe on other area and releasing it as a Demo. Around about the time Alpha testing is done I'll be having another JkHub member record some video trailers etc. However like all great teasers, the best will eb saved for game play :P

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

QmXfJu2.jpgGaWCh9c.jpgOhaxwn3.jpgybkqW5y.jpghEAq2i4.jpgH5KHOWV.jpg

senate hotel lobbyQ9HygcQ.jpg

Amazing job! Specially Like the columns You made but i recommend making MD3 models because making this kind of columns with patches can cost more memory - Also with patches if You will look from the far distance the patches lose some verts and shape is more blocky.. it is good thing but for me it happens too soon (of course optimalization is one of the most important thing but this is small thing in that case in my opinion). 

And one thing - there is no shadow under that desk (last pic). It looks a little weird for me.

Amazing job! Specially Like the columns You made but i recommend making MD3 models because making this kind of columns with patches can cost more memory - Also with patches if You will look from the far distance the patches lose some verts and shape is more blocky.. it is good thing but for me it happens too soon (of course optimalization is one of the most important thing but this is small thing in that case in my opinion). 

And one thing - there is no shadow under that desk (last pic). It looks a little weird for me.

Yea I like making MD3s. I just make brushes in my level and then when it's done, I pull a brush all around my model and then select inside: save as.

No Langerd, glass doesn't cast that much of a shadow....

Ehhh Ok so first Ill address the designer notes you've all commented on. I'll work out the glass shadow (usually depending on the type of glass it may cast like a 30-50% opacity shadow, but at the very least the legs should be casting shadows. I'll probably place some fake shadows here myself. Looks better,saves GPU power to comnpile and draw in game, overall better. Theirs quiet a few spots towards the end I'll be adding my own shadows. About 50% of the map will be using my own shadow work and the rest will just be w/e. 
As for models, hmmm well Im not really into modeling any more these days. Not since UT3 really. 
A lot of this map is already ASE's however that ofcourse is simply to save power for physics calculations. Honestly I hate ASE's they for some odd reason crank up you T Junction compilation insanely the more you use them, atm I cant even compile with T Junction, which is causing me some other sadness's that I need to address. 
To be fair about 50% of my issues could be fixed with a modeler, however I only know one and he's already been nice enough to make me some statues for the map, Im not about to send him all my ase's and be like here bitch clean these up and make em MD3's.. ;) CHOP CHOP NINJA!!!

Any ways for any of you who pay attention to this topic we've ran into an odd bug with the map that I'm sure has a simple fix, but first we've gotto solve this scoobey doo Mystery of wtf it even is. 

What happens is this. it had been oh I dnk atleast a month since I'd ran a test of the map on a server, normally I always test it on my server, never just devmap, servers show you true gamer performance as well as making sure it will actually fucking function on a server as this story will point out. This all took place due to a hard drive crash and I just hadn't had time with rebuilding our back yard and mapping to resetup Filezilla and shit. 
Any who, we put the map on the server, Ammap it and server just dies... Just dead, Rcon cant bring it on, nothing... Ok so we got Calium to restart it, he did some digging around and the last thing the server had said was this... 

Object 680 touching 3 areas at 958.000000 -423.000000 -763.000000 Object 681 touching 3 areas at 958.000000 345.000000 -763.000000

so the first thing I do besides cursing outloud and getting pissed was to grab my .map, open it with Notepad ++ and search for those cord... Theirs nothing with any branch or bit of those cords. Ok next I look for that said # of brush(s), just a normal brush nothing wrong with that, even checked in gtk, it's normal. Ok lets check entity said #'s... Again just two normal lights. All of these were no where near said mentioned cordinates.
So the only thing I could think of was my old friend Google. 

It had ONLY this to say about it I found this some some GIT BS talking about Q3's code. |

// set areas, even from clusters that don't fit in the entity array

for (i=0 ; i<num_leafs ; i++) {
area = CM_LeafArea (leafs);
if (area != -1) {
// doors may legally straggle two areas,
// but nothing should evern need more than that
if (ent->areanum != -1 && ent->areanum != area) {
if (ent->areanum2 != -1 && ent->areanum2 != area && sv.state == SS_LOADING) {
Com_DPrintf ("Object %i touching 3 areas at %f %f %f\n",
gEnt->s.number,
gEnt->r.absmin[0], gEnt->r.absmin[1], gEnt->r.absmin[2]);
}
ent->areanum2 = area;
} else {
ent->areanum = area;
}
}
}

Still no idea wtf any of it means, I suspected maybe cluster portals, erased them,tested still nothing but death. The only thing that makes sense to me is possibly an areaportal problem...
Langerd and GPChannel like this

Alright so after pulling apart the entire map and wasting yesterday turned out the reason it wasn't loading was the "nobots & nohuman" switches in the spawn points. Apparently JKA doesn't like those >.>... Any ways maps back on track and full functional on my server again. Plus side was that I found a bunch of little bugs and cleaned them up while pulling the map apart. 

One interesting thing it showed me however is section 1 and section 3 light compile rather easily and fast, for some reason in the 1000 or so lights the illiminate section 2, some thing is pulling allot, good news is with the map in sections for testing perposes Ill be able to slowly weed out what the issues are. Then just apply those fixes to the actual map file.

Noodle, TheWhitePhoenix and Langerd like this

Yea I like making MD3s. I just make brushes in my level and then when it's done, I pull a brush all around my model and then select inside: save as.

No Langerd, glass doesn't cast that much of a shadow....

Well glass yeah because it is clean glass but the black metal parts does not cast any shadows...

For me it is like it is floating  ... maybe because of the pic i dont know X) it is small notice here 

Edited by Langerd
AngelModder likes this

Happy you found the error. Has anyone or here ever encountered 'Radiant ghosts'? Or is it just me? Like errors that just can't be fixed no matter what you do.

Good news is the error was fixed. It had to do with a command I had dropped into the Infor player Death matches (the spawn points). Originally I had wanted all the players to start outside in the main couryard just like the original JH's and the bots would spawn inside the lobby. However servers seem to have an issue with the nobots and nohumans command in the spawn points. It may just be a JA++ and JA+ problem. However again as most servers run on or the other, I cant allow for some thing to remain if it Jeoporizes its use on a server. Then you just end up with another SJC pack XD...

Any who I've started on a special pack for this map that I really hope you all will enjoy. Remember how I spoke about the reflective floors only turn on via a plug in file? Well now that plug in file will also include HD textures for several of the maps commonly seen textures. Nice 4k textures for those of us with high end machines. The main file will simply be shiney floors and 2k or lower textures. Now the Plug in file will be kind of big due to the file size nature of 4k textures but believe me when i say visually they make a great impression. 

I'm not certain yet if I will make the reflective floors and HD textures two seperate plugins or one, for the time being it's just one. 

TheWhitePhoenix and Noodle like this

Here is a little pack of screenshots I took last night in HD. Enjoy! We've had a good week, allot of the Ase's have been converted to MD3 and a lot of the maps Misc models are now nice clean Mic Model Statics. Saves a lot of BSP space in the long run. XD

AMhfnct.jpg

Here is the pack, these shots were taken using the HD Plug in for the map!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gdru5mq5jqw3434/JH3.rar

Stoiss and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Here is a little pack of screenshots I took last night in HD. Enjoy! We've had a good week, allot of the Ase's have been converted to MD3 and a lot of the maps Misc models are now nice clean Mic Model Statics. Saves a lot of BSP space in the long run. XD

AMhfnct.jpg

Here is the pack, these shots were taken using the HD Plug in for the map!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gdru5mq5jqw3434/JH3.rar

Dude, I love every-single-little detail you've done with the map and I'm getting more and more excited to use it, and I have just the thing to use it for. I'm more eager than ever to see the release now. :D

AngelModder likes this