78 members have voted

1. 1. Models

• Han Solo (Original Trilogy)
    • Luke Skywalker (Original Trilogy)
    • Princess Leia (Original Trilogy)
    • Ki-Adi Mundi
    • Poe Dameron
    • Obi-wan (Ep1, Ep2, EpIV)
    • Nien Nunb (Or general Sullustan model)
    • Other (State in reply)

I believe we should flex out a little bit, because this would be interesting to see- not only because it would require using the Grievous four arm skeleton but because it would be a cool test of his skills.

Minor character, but.

Pong Krell from TCW.

Someone made a Pong Krell before,I think. It wasn't bad but it wasn't the best.

Well let's run down the list:

Han Solo - Already being worked on by DT so I would leave that one off.

Luke Skywalker - He would be an interesting choice but there have been a lot of takes on him already.

Princess Leia - I would be tempted to vote on this one as she has so many outfits but then again there are some pretty good versions of her out there already.

Ki-Adi Mundi - I feel that Psyk0Sith has already done an excellent version of the character. That is unless of course your referring to his extra outfits but even so I feel there are more prominent characters that could be done.

Poe Dameron - I think my vote might have to go to him as he hasn't quite gotten a definitive version just yet

Obi-Wan - Again, I feel that there are versions of this character that are quite well done and really don't need another version.

Nien Nunb - I would like to see him made at some point.

With that said though, I would love to see a new Scout Trooper or Snowtrooper or some enhanced Imperial unit from the original trilogy that could use an update.

Scerendo likes this

@Archangel35757

Interesting, I shall investigate it. I normally export to XSI Softimage and export as a dotXSI.

I have already rigged up most of the model in Softimage, so I'll be done with it soon. But I can just export it back to 3ds Max.

I'll definitely take a look at your exporter, and do a a test at very least - perhaps it might be a better alternative for my future models.

Out of curiosity do you think you will be doing exporter for Maya at all, if at all possible? I only ask because I'm quite a fan of their rigging tools they have.

Edit: I've also added a Poll to the Topic to see what people would like me to model next, these are namely characters I am interested in creating. But feel free to add your own suggestions.

you said, "But I can just export it back to 3ds Max..." be careful going back and forth between 3ds Max and Softimage... if you are using Crosswalk-- it doesn't transform the model correctly... basically it just rotates the scene root node 90 degrees about the x-axis... rather than do a true coordinate system transformation (as the v1.9 dotXSI exporter does... I explain this in more detail in my readme file).

Other-- I vote Bothan.

Hey guys, I'm pretty done, just finishing off some textures for the model, here is some screenshots from Modview to have an idea of what it will look like in game, minus specular:

6L8Im7.png

KbRdPF.png

VHc3bc.png

wSg2Za.png

ZksJou.png

91at1J.png

IRLIDc.png

OS0CeL.png

I'll try and get it submitted this evening or tomorrow morning.

Anyone got any suggestions on doing specular maps for JKA/Quake 3 Engine? I'm finding a bit difficult to get a decent result.

As for the poll, I have already started working on Poe Dameron, so I'll post some wips within the week or so.

@@Scerendo Just took a look at the model, great work !

but here's a few things that could use a touchup :

Her eyebrows and lips look glued on - because they have these razorsharp transitions to the surrounding skin

the face really needs some color variation - at the moment it looks like you only relied on your bakes and colored them using the hue&saturation filter in photoshop, or simply overlayed your bakes over two different flat colors, one for the face and one for her lip.

Try introducing some different shades of blue around her cheeks, forehead, around her lips (and different shades of pink they eyebrows shouldn't be solid black too - atm they look like she took a permanent Marker and drew them on her forehead

this will make her look less artifical and more like a living being ;) It's not only the face that could use that color variation - you could do that for her entire skin

the wrinkles on her clothes are very sharp for the most part and also highly contrasted which doesn't look very realistic, you should try to fade the overlayed bakes a little on her clothes.

You could also add some dirt to some of the outfits.

Looking forward to what you're cooking up next - or how Aayla turns out in case you decide to update her after my feedback

Arthor, Scerendo and Langerd like this

@@Scerendo Just took a look at the model, great work !

but here's a few things that could use a touchup :

Her eyebrows and lips look glued on - because they have these razorsharp transitions to the surrounding skin

the face really needs some color variation - at the moment it looks like you only relied on your bakes and colored them using the hue&saturation filter in photoshop, or simply overlayed your bakes over two different flat colors, one for the face and one for her lip.

Try introducing some different shades of blue around her cheeks, forehead, around her lips (and different shades of pink they eyebrows shouldn't be solid black too - atm they look like she took a permanent Marker and drew them on her forehead

this will make her look less artifical and more like a living being ;) It's not only the face that could use that color variation - you could do that for her entire skin

the wrinkles on her clothes are very sharp for the most part and also highly contrasted which doesn't look very realistic, you should try to fade the overlayed bakes a little on her clothes.

You could also add some dirt to some of the outfits.

Looking forward to what you're cooking up next - or how Aayla turns out in case you decide to update her after my feedback

Hey thank you, that's great feedback.

Yeah I have started working on Poe, but I will definitely do a texture update for both Aayla and Quinlan, as I learn more and refine my technique.

Your suggestions are great and I'm definitely taking them into account. 

I was struggling a bit with finding the right level of ambient occasion and detail baking for the Jedi Academy model - as I found alot of textures would look decent in Marmoset but completely washed out in Jedi academy without the proper specular/normal maps.

But still I'll keep in mind to tone it down. (And I'll work on my lipstick game)

Edit: Did a ninja update, I forgot to change the NPC Aayla's voice, so she was sounding like a man - should be fixed now.

Arthor likes this

@@Scerendo what do you use for texturing ?

I remember seeing you say something about quixel ?

I normally use Quixel Suite to help bake my textures from the maps I made from zbrush/xnormal.

I've tried toning things down a bit, I just used the texture I baked in Quixel, then added the green channel from the object normals as you suggested. I also had a go at adding a bit of color variation, though I could maybe push it further.

7gBfqB.png

DarthStiv, Langerd, krkarr and 3 others like this

I normally use Quixel Suite to help bake my textures from the maps I made from zbrush/xnormal.

I've tried toning things down a bit, I just used the texture I baked in Quixel, then added the green channel from the object normals as you suggested. I also had a go at adding a bit of color variation, though I could maybe push it further.

7gBfqB.png

&&0

That's some vastly improved textures right there.  Nice work.  Only thing is she looks a little bit old now, maybe make eyebrows thicker?

JAWSFreelao likes this

JKG Developer

that's A LOT better @@Scerendo !

give us some closeups of her face

I can really recommend the Substance Suite it's far more flexible than the quixel suite but requires a bit more learning until you get the hang of it (atleast regarding Substance Designer, Substance Painter is fairly straightforward)

EDIT : something you could try to make those folds look less pinched is apply a gaussian blur smart filter and mess with the blur intensity, then adjust levels accoridngly on the clothing parts

EDIT2 : also - desaturate those fignernails and hue shift them away from that green, make them more blue - as seen here

Scerendo likes this

that's A LOT better @@Scerendo !

give us some closeups of her face

I can really recommend the Substance Suite it's far more flexible than the quixel suite but requires a bit more learning until you get the hang of it (atleast regarding Substance Designer, Substance Painter is fairly straightforward)

EDIT : something you could try to make those folds look less pinched is apply a gaussian blur smart filter and mess with the blur intensity, then adjust levels accoridngly on the clothing parts

EDIT2 : also - desaturate those fignernails and hue shift them away from that green, make them more blue - as seen here

I fixed her nails. I ll have a go at messing around with the cloth wrinkles, though I think it might  be more of a case of me having to sculpt cloth wrinkles better on the high poly.

9HHsdD.png

I used substance painter in my final project at Uni and it was pretty great, particularly for painting skin textures and detail.

Unfortunately I never bought it. I know that the newest version of Quixel is meant to of have some sort of painter equivalent but thats a recent thing which I haven't checked out yet.

I might see if I can get a trial for substance then when I m doing my textures for Poe.

krkarr and Langerd like this