OpenJK General Topic

eezstreet

@@Teancum, it's not a bug at all if you think about it, JK2 had a different skeleton than JA, it had more bones and the bolt for the left hand had a different name since JK2 didn't support 2 handed weapons.

I'm speaking from more of a SWBF-solution type of thinking, but couldn't a bone have been dynamically created via executable code? I.E. If the game didn't find the bone it needs, then create it and attach it to the left hand bone? I dunno, I have to create workarounds like this all the time at my job, and I feel like ages ago when I worked on adding menu options to OJP there was a dev that came along and said they had solutioned a workaround that was never put into place.

The ability to force the lightsaber to be on the player's (and NPC's) belt when not in use should be implemented in this somehow kinda like how it is in other MP mods, but also in SP and have the saber facing the right direction. Even the old Episode I game that came out in '99 had this feature.

*EDIT*

Now after some research I remember the issue. The left-hand JO bone was renamed from lhand_tag_bone to lhang_tag_bone in JA. It's referenced in tr_ghoul2.cpp (at least in the Xbox source code, which is presumably identical here). It seems a semi-simple If statement could handle this, but then again it may not be as simple as a one-time rename.

Well it's not the same as swbf2, I know in that you can say attach a hardpoint for a effect to the dummy root and just type in a offset which usually equaled out to XSI global coordinates and it would place the effect where you wanted it.

I'll break it down to you why it doesn't work, the tag that the weapon bolts to IS there on JO models, the problem is that the bone name is different and the bone is what the tag is enveloped to, so the game essentially sees it as a tag with no envelope information, hence why the left saber doesn't animate.

May be possible to hex edit the .glm file to reference the JA bone which is lhang_tag_bone but unlikely since the glm stores no real bone data as far as I'm aware of, just geometry, UV and envelope weights and since it's enveloped to a bone with a different name, i.e. doesn't exist, I don't think it's possible to fix this way.

Easiest solution is to recompile the models, some people think it's a huge deal but if you know how to copy weight maps from one model to another the tweaking to make it perfect is minimal. Real problem is people were always using 3ds max which has terrible envelope weights tools out of the box without a 3rd party plugin so no one wanted to reweigh a model to the JA skeleton.

Yeah, I had edited my post while you were replying. The bones are only referenced directly by name in one place in the code (as mentioned in my previous post), but they may be referenced by ID elsewhere. Hence why I see this as a code-based fix versus re-rigging mulitple models.

Coding wont "fix" it since the _humanoid.gla is where all the bone and animation info is stored.

Nothings broken, you're just tring to use models from one game to another, the skeletons between the 2 games are MUCH more different than just that 1 bone, theres somewhere close to 30 MORE bones in the JK2 skeleton.

I absolutely get what you're saying. I still think there's a potenial code workaround. It's a matter of searching for a JK2 bone and replacing it in memory with the JK3 name. My realm is outside of C++, so I can't sit and write out the code, but that's how I see it. Aren't all the extraneous JK2 bones ignored in JA anyway? What's left isn't an extra bone, but a misnamed one -- or am I wrong?

Not sure exactly how the game treats the extra bones, I just know modview wont load the model using the JA assets, you'd have to set it up for JK2.

I don't think the game ignores those bones, the models probably only work becuase of the way carcass rearranges bones (see my tutorial on youtube for some insight) and the bones that are omitted are at the ends of the chains and have no child objects, otherwise the models either wouldn't load at all or would be seriously skewed due to local transforms not matching.

Like I said, the tag for left handed weapons IS there, its just that the bone it's weighed to has no animations, not only that the envelope weight information for the object bolt_lhand has envelope data for a bone that doesn't exist in the JA skeleton. I think even if you did do something to make the game see that bone as l_hang_tag_bone the bolt_lhand would still have envelope data to l_hand_tag_bone.

Here's what's new on the repo...

Singleplayer

• SP code now compiles and works (for the most part) under Linux and Mac.
  • Fixed an issue wherein, after using /playermodel or SET_PLAYER_MODEL in ICARUS and loading the game afterwards, the skin or the model would be incorrect (This fixes several bugs with a few mods, such as Escape: Yavin 4 but doesn't affect the base game very much)
  • Fixed an issue where an enemy Jedi knocking over your sentry gun while you yourself were notargetted would cause a game crash.
  • Fixed an issue where using /playermodel rockettrooper2 and taking off using the jetpack would cause the game to crash

Shared

• Nightly builds are being compiled by a bot, and their links will be made available soon-ish
  • Fixed the opening logos and fade-ins [sP only] not playing correctly on non 4:3 resolutions (showed up as white instead)
Kessno, Circa, therfiles and 3 others like this

Yer that! Oh, and incidentally, if anyone can get a MP widescreen patch out separately now, that'd be REALLY nice of them :D

I totally forgot the rest of you don't have widescreen. Aspyr added that option with their new Mac version. 

That would be a much desired patch.

You mean like r_mode -1 r_customWidth 1920 r_customHeight 1080 like we've been using for years =p?

Or r_mode -2 where it uses your desktop resolution?

Or automatically adjusting cg_fov based on aspect ratio? (mod change)

Or stopping the HUD from scaling badly with widescreen aspect ratios? (mod change)