OpenJK General Topic

eezstreet

Animations can still be made as they always have been (dragon, XSI Mod Tool, 3ds Max), only now you can change/add animations into SP.

Without coding :) !

EDIT: Also, thank you Eez, for possibly taking my request, and thank you to you and all the other generous coders working on this project!

Thank you, thank you,thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

what does that do?

Could someone direct me to the place where the way saber transitions are connected to animations please? I want to see about changing saber spin transitions into saber arc transitions.

Not for OJK, but for future mods I'll be working on.

Also, what would it take to seperate animations like runs, walks, and stances from existing animations?

EX:

sabes all use BOTH_run2 and BOTH_runback

into

BOTH_run_medium

BOTH_runback_medium

I take it that's a strange way of saying "added support for rendering demos to AVI as they're played"

So i's basically cl_avidemo that renders an actual video instead of images.

Would it be possible to make it render frame-by-frame (or does it already?) coz that would be awesome-sauce and make programs like fraps completely useless.

Uncompressed is the way to go for video editing. Xvid isn't GPL compatible either.

What is this about stuff not being GPL compatible? We're not using JKA in Xvid, we're using Xvid in JKA. (Well, we're not, but we're talking about it.) There's nothing wrong with using a closed source library in a GPL project.

What is this about stuff not being GPL compatible? We're not using JKA in Xvid, we're using Xvid in JKA. (Well, we're not, but we're talking about it.) There's nothing wrong with using a closed source library in a GPL project.

Oh hey, xvid was released under GPL. Well, whaddaya know. Thought for sure it was released under zlib or something:

http://www.xvid.org/FAQ.42.0.html

If that's the case, I'm all for it. OpenJK should still include an option for uncompressed though in order to preserve quality.

If that's the case, I'm all for it.

I was under the impression that using GPL-incompatible libraries in GPL code was fine...

Until I read about it some more. Found some interesting things:

"Can I write free software that uses non-free libraries?" and "What legal issues come up if I use GPL-incompatible libraries with GPL software?" from the GNU GPL FAQ talk about this. Looks like it's actually only possible if you add an exception to the license. Well, not you, only the copyright holder can do it, i.e. Raven. So have fun trying to add Oculus Rift support.

Looks like the GPL sucks more than I thought. Also of note: "Can I apply the GPL when writing a plug-in for a non-free program?" when dynamically linking a plug-in that shares data structures with the program then the result is a single program with the GPL applying to all of it. So we can't stay backwards compatible because we may only support mods released under a GPL-compatible license? Great.

Despite all this, according to "Who has the power to enforce the GPL?" only Raven has the power to enforce the GPL. I don't think they care too much. So you'll likely be able to get away with violations. As will every modder basing closed-source modifications on the GPL modbase.

It will be a pain. The renderer API is fairly different due to JA's additions - RMG/terrain, automap, G2API + callbacks, G2, distortion, dynamic glow, weather effects.

I'm more excited for what Xycaleth and Rich can offer =o

@@mrwonko: What about the Free Software Foundation? Can't they step in where Raven can't?

GPL is considered a very invasive license. In my opinion, if you decide to modify the engine for your personal mod, and then claim "I used the SDK! I don't have to share source!" -> No, because at that point, you're using the SDK code as a library for your engine. And that should be enforced /regardless/ of whether or not you break base compatibility.

Engine hacks based on what's in OpenJK aren't legal either, but there's like no chance at all of being able to prove it. However what /should/ be legal is making your engine hacks OpenJK compatible, but frankly why would you ever do that.

Sorry Eezstreet. I worded my post wrong.

I was wondering if someone could show me in OJK where saber transitions were, because I plan to use OJK as it becomes available, but don't intend for my request to be implemented into OJK.

For the seperating of the movement and stances I was wondering if that would be possible to do in OJK after it was finished, but not as a direct feature necessarily.

If I'm still off topic I'm sorry.