OpenJK General Topic

eezstreet

For large open maps, making use of LODs (Levels of detail) seems like it would be beneficial. In the open area of BlueIce Twilight for example, everything in the scene is shown at full detail no matter how far you are from them.

shot0095.jpg

You could get around this by using wonko's export to .map(patchmesh) option in Blender however. I tried it once with a massive terrain, but didn't compile it. (Well, I did compile bsp to catch any errors but found none.)

I very much doubt that patches net a better performance than brushes or models... And if they do, that's crazy. A proper LOD system is in order. I'll note that on my big list of cool features JKA lacks but doesn't have to anymore since we have the source now.
Didz likes this

It's an open source project, which means that they're going to release the binaries for general people to use. Everything in general needs to be fixed. This means merging the SP and MP modular renderers, and fixing general issues in JK2 mode.

It will be a continuous WIP state, but there are milestones set, and you can still use OpenJK when it's in development - it's not likely to randomly crash or eat your computer. At-least no more than jamp.exe

Just so I'm clear, this basically seems like an advanced, remedied version of the source code. Correct? Rather than modders having to put up with the glitches in the open source code that was released, you take out the headaches and make it more usable, more straight-forward and add some nice features as well?

That's the point of OpenJK. Engine modifications that don't affect base or mod gamecode.

Sweet, just wanted to make sure this isn't just a polished code release, but something that's also going to be implemented by itself too. Looking forward to this.

Sentra likes this

Wow! This is some great progress you guys are making! I'd like to thank you all for your hard work and taking the time to do this.

One question, real quick. What is this about?

ICARUS can now set and read the values of cvars

That's awesome! Can I just use the set command inside of behaved, or is there some other way I need to do it?

afi likes this

Sweet, just wanted to make sure this isn't just a polished code release, but something that's also going to be implemented by itself too. Looking forward to this.

Offtopic: Mother of god, the Canadian has returned <.<

OT:

I don't play anymore, so I can't say I'd use this, but best of luck to you.

Wow! This is some great progress you guys are making! I'd like to thank you all for your hard work and taking the time to do this.

One question, real quick. What is this about?

That's awesome! Can I just use the set command inside of behaved, or is there some other way I need to do it?

Yup. Just do a set command on cvar_YOURCVARHERE. Note that toggles using ! don't quite work yet. Also, I don't remember if get works properly, but I know for sure that "set" does.
therfiles likes this

I'm sure this was fixed years ago, but I haven't been online with JA for 5-6 years. Was the dual-saber bug with JO models ever fixed? It's the one that would only let one saber leave the player's hand when they did that "saber circle" special move (not sure how to describe it).