You will decide which gun I will model next.

You decide!  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which gun do you want me to model next?

• DLT-20A
    • DLT-19

Where can I find a mod that replaces the disruptor with the DLT-20a?

@@Langerd mentioned that he made one. I think it's included in his Cloud City mod.

Although I voted for the DLT-20A, I support both of them. The DLT-19 rifle would be a good replacement for the heavy repeater.

I also suggest alternate fire modes for each of them. The Disruptor effect on the DLT-20A would seem out of place, so a more powerful charge blast (which should require a big chunk of ammo) would be more appropiate. And if the DLT-19 replaces the heavy repeater, the alternate fire mod (which are explosive charges) could be replaced with something that fits the weapon more. I know, EA's Battlefront isn't celebrated by every single one here, but you can't deny that the fire modes of the weapons can serve as great inspirations.

Bek likes this

@@Langerd mentioned that he made one. I think it's included in his Cloud City mod.

Although I voted for the DLT-20A, I support both of them. The DLT-19 rifle would be a good replacement for the heavy repeater.

I also suggest alternate fire modes for each of them. The Disruptor effect on the DLT-20A would seem out of place, so a more powerful charge blast (which should require a big chunk of ammo) would be more appropiate. And if the DLT-19 replaces the heavy repeater, the alternate fire mod (which are explosive charges) could be replaced with something that fits the weapon more. I know, EA's Battlefront isn't celebrated by every single one here, but you can't deny that the fire modes of the weapons can serve as great inspirations.

Or you know, just code a new gun in ;) much simpler.

All the gun parameters should be made external and then have a few firing functions on the code, so anybody can modify the arsenal at will. I know it´s doable because I made something like that on an abandoned mod for JO. But that's outside the scope of what I have planned in the near future. Right now I'm only agreeing to work on stuff that it's also going to serve my own ends. And the code for my little project will be the very last thing I'll do.

Noodle likes this

Thank you very much for the DLT20A! I don't play MBII, but I know I've seen the model somewhere in there. Glad to have this in the regular game.

The reason why I'm suggesting you make something outside of the DLT-19 is because it's inevitably going to replace the heavy repeater, which is honestly still a poor choice. The best thing that should replace the heavy repeater is an improved heavy repeater model. The DLT-19 didn't shoot concussion grenades or metal rounds. Of course, feel free to code in a new gun with your mod, make a bunch of other edits to the game to include the weapon in selection screens and with various different NCPs. If that happens, I'll just stop talking all together. :D

That DLT-20A is not bad at all! What are you saying? You just need to work on the texture in my opinion.

As for your ending statement, let's be fair and not elevate my E-11 or myself to a level from where I could easily disappoint you guys. For my blaster I used +7k triangles and a 4096 by 4096 pixels diffuse and specular maps. While using such a high definition texture can be both beneficial and a pain in the ass, the polycount can't go wrong. So, before bringing your stuff down versus mine, first consider how many triangles you have used for your models and how many I have and the size and detail of your textures.

Making good textures is about looking at reference pictures for a long time and figure out how to replicate that which makes real life "real". Most of the bland looking textures I've seen, are not because the artist lacks the skills, but because of time constraints that artist may have or simply because they slack. I used to be one of the slackers back when we were making the Dark Forces mod.

Noodle likes this

That DLT-20A is not bad at all! What are you saying? You just need to work on the texture. Are the holes made with a cutout texture?

Yes.. this is transparent texture with the holes. The model with the holes would be very vert'y..

I am not into the programs for texturing.. i use shitty paint.net program.. i am standing in one place for years. Even is models are starting to look not bad - they are not in the qquaity of 3D models that are made this days.. Hand madeing and shading on texture is dying these days. Most of the newer programs use materials , substances or other things.. From what i looked it is 50% genereting method. The textures tho looks more natural and they going with the shape of the model.

Yes.. this is transparent texture with the holes. The model with the holes would be very vert'y..

I am not into the programs for texturing.. i use shitty paint.net program.. i am standing in one place for years. Even is models are starting to look not bad - they are not in the qquaity of 3D models that are made this days.. Hand madeing and shading on texture is dying these days. Most of the newer programs use materials , substances or other things.. From what i looked it is 50% genereting method. The textures tho looks more natural and they going with the shape of the model.

I agree that a software like Substance Painter can do things that are virtually impossible to do manually. But you can still do wonderful things without the need of simulated materials and procedural texture generation. Let's take the case of the E11: except for the ambient occlusion and baked lighting maps, I made the rest completely by hand using nothing more than the tools Photoshop has to offer. Then I overlaid some real life material pictures to create some randomness, dirt, rust, etc. using different blending modes and blending options. You can't beat current technology nor fight it back, but you can still produce amazing stuff without fancy tools and techniques.

Langerd likes this

The thing is that Corto's model looks like it came right from Battlefront. Your models are super good for JKA mod standards. Not really fair to compare the two though. And I love what you did with the weapons you included in the mod! I'm using them all right now AAMOF.

Corto likes this

@@Langerd @@Corto you can do mostly everything Substance Painter does in Photoshop, a few exceptions would be particle brushes, the dynamic clone and smudge brushes and the Triplanar projection.

If you baked all the maps Substance Painter requires to make its "Generator Magic" happen, you could do all of that in Gimp, Photoshop or even Paint.net . Substance Painters Generators are based around Substance Graphs created in Substance Designer. A Substance Graph or .sbs/.sbsar is nothing else than a logical chain/tree of Filters and Image adjustments linked together - which is something you can do with macros or manual work in your image editors. Each link in the chain has parameters that can be exposed to become editable by external software (like Substance Painter/Player, UE4, Unity Engine, Marmoset, 3ds max and there may be a blender plugin). Substance just makes the process more comfortable.

Langerd likes this