Frankensteining with blender.

Jolly
Go to solution Solved by Artemis,

Okay thank you Omicron. One more question: How will I know which head is which? I mean since on the Neomarz Clone Trooper there's a huge mass of heads/helmets, any guesses on which head I'll have to use for the skin file?

PS, I'm going to have to resize my frankensteined head. Would I then have to redo my texture mapping?

Edited by JAWSFreelao

"Can't find surface head_helma_0"

PS, the helmet I'm using is not a JK product- no weight, no rigging, nothing except for UV mapping-. It's an ARF trooper helmet that was riped from CWA. So I don't know if it's legal to be posted here, but if so would anyone be interested in looking at it?

It's not rigged to the skeleton, that's why. This method with Blender only works with JKA models that have already been rigged, as far as I know.

Not exactly true; it only works for rigged models, yes, but you can do the rigging in Blender. My Fluttershy playermodel was completely created in Blender to test the exporter.
Circa likes this

Well that error pops up in carcass when my Hierarchy is fucked up - it basically means that you have a few objects not linked in to your hierarchy

here's an excerpt from an old guide for 3ds max, found on @@Psyk0Sith's site

This list is in the order you need to select things and then link them.

bolt_l_leg_calf

bolt_l_leg_cap_hips

bolt_l_leg_foot

l_leg_cap_hips_off

-select them and link to l_leg

-----------

bolt_r_leg_calf

bolt_r_leg_cap_hips

bolt_r_leg_foot

r_leg_cap_hips_off

-select them and link to r_leg

------------

bolt_head_back

bolt_head_cap_torso

bolt_head_eyes

bolt_head_front

bolt_head_left

bolt_head_right

bolt_head_top

head_cap_torso_off

*face + eyes also need linking if you've included them.

-select them and link to head

--------------

bolt_l_hand

bolt_l_hand_cap_l_arm

l_hand_cap_learn_off

-select them and link to l_hand

---------------

bolt_r_hand

bolt_r_hand_cap_r_arm

r_hand_cap_r_arm_off

-select them and link to r_hand

----------------

bolt_r_arm_cap_r_hand

bolt_r_arm_cap_torso

bolt_r_arm_elbow

r_arm_cap_r_hand_off

r_arm_cap_torso_off

r_hand

-select them and link to r_arm

-----------------

bolt_l_arm_cap_hand

bolt_l_arm_cap_torso

bolt_l_arm_elbow

l_arm_cap_l_hand_off

l_arm_cap_torso_off

l_hand

-select them and link to l_arm

-----------------

bolt_back

bolt_chestg

bolt_hip_bl

bolt_hip_br

bolt_hip_fl

bolt_hip_fr

bolt_hip_l

bolt_hip_r

bolt_lchest_l

bolt_lchest_r

bolt_shldr_l

bolt_shldr_r

bolt_torso_cap_head

bolt_torso_cap_hips

bolt_torso_cap_l_arm

bolt_torso_cap_r_arm

bolt_uchest_l

bolt_uchest_r

torso_cap_head_off

torso_cap_hips_off

torso_cap_l_arm_off

torso_cap_r_arm_off

head

l_arm

r_arm

-select them and then link them to torso

------------------

bolt_hips_cap_l_leg

bolt_hips_cap_r_leg

bolt_hips_cap_torso

bolt_hips_l_knee

bolt_hips_r_knee

hips_cap_l_leg_off

hips_cap_r_leg_off

hips_cap_torso_off

torso

l_leg

r_leg

-select them and then link them to hips

--------------------

hips

-select and link it to stupidtriangle_off

--------------------

stupidtriangle_off

-select and link it to mesh_root

--------------------

mesh_root

-slect and link it to model_root

here's the full tutorial :

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/spacemonkey/jk2.htm

With multiple heads i usually named them headb, headc, headd etc. and link them to the original head. As soon as you delete something from the original rig the hierarchy is broken for the tags and caps as well. It's pretty easy to figure out which parts are not linked, simply double click the hips, everything still part of the hierarchy will be selected, unlinked will not. At least that's true for 3D max.

Any idea of what have I done wrong? http://scr.hu/22as/a9qam

I'll write everything I've done step by step after I come back, since I have to go now. Any feedback would be appreciated!

For now I can just say that I tried to do EVERYTHING exactly like in tutorial.

Had this a couple of times when I was first doing it, and it was ALWAYS something had not been correctly transferred in the hierarchy over from the second model. Check and double-check everything's Object Name and Object Data (which means no surface should have .001 at the end of it) and ensure they are correctly named. Also check the parent is correct.

Most of the time it occurred because I had renamed the new surface (for example, head_face) from head_face.001 but forgot to delete the original one. What this does is then rename the original head_face to the head_face.001 (effectively swapping them over instead of replacing the original). This results in a loose unassigned surface floating in the hierarchy. If this is the case, just track it down and delete it.

I'll give it a try with deleting the old meshes and I will let you know in @Edit :). Thanks for fast feedback tho!

@EDIT

:). I managed to do it. Deleting Tusken's body and rosh's face AFTER renaming the meshes worked like a charm. Thanks everyone, if anybody wants to get more details then just ask me in a post below, and I'll tell you what have I done to get it working.
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting in a while. Got busy with various projects and stuff. There is a way to get parts of Jedi Outcast models into JK3, and vice versa. For example, you have a JK2 model's head and a JK3 model's body. You open up the JK2 model in Blender and save it as a .blend file. Then, you open up the JK3 model and save it as a .blend file as well. With the JK3 model open, press SHIFT + F1, which is the Append command, I believe, and you open up the saved JK2 .blend file, and it takes you inside the .blend file. Go to the folder labeled Objects, and select all the parts of the JK2 head model, i.e., head, head_face, head_mouth_eyes, and so on. You will have that added in with the JK3 body, but it's not done yet. Select all of the JK2 model's parts that you added and then select a single part of the JK3 model, like the torso. Copy the modifiers from the JK3 torso, for instance, to the JK2 model's parts, and it will have the JK2 model's parts applied to the JK3 skeleton, provided the JK2 model doesn't use any of the Outcast exclusive bones, like the left and right tarsals. Make sure the hierarchy is correct and save as a .glm when you're done. Some things may need to be renamed, so if something doesn't work out right, make sure all of the new parts are named correctly. I'm still figuring out how to deal with the bone differences between JK2 and JK3 when converting, but as long as a part doesn't have any JK2 or JK3 exclusive bones, it should be convertible to the opposite game. I've got a JK3 Luke head on the JK2 body, and also a JK2 Mara Jade head on the JK3 Gweth model, so I know that this is indeed possible. Sorry to bump an old topic! Hope this helps!

Artemis and Jeff like this

I'm not sure who are you answering right now, but I really hope it's mine problem. So, basically I've done EXACTLY everything like you said untill that point: 

Copy the modifiers from the JK3 torso, for instance, to the JK2 model's parts, and it will have the JK2 model's parts applied to the JK3 skeleton, provided the JK2 model doesn't use any of the Outcast exclusive bones, like the left and right tarsals.

Not sure what are you... well talking about, I'm sure it's probably caused by my horrible english but could you please try to tell it a bit... simplier? I've done the "Append" command and linked everything just right, but I can't understand this moment. What modifiers should I copy? 

I'm not sure who are you answering right now, but I really hope it's mine problem. So, basically I've done EXACTLY everything like you said untill that point:

Not sure what are you... well talking about, I'm sure it's probably caused by my horrible english but could you please try to tell it a bit... simplier? I've done the "Append" command and linked everything just right, but I can't understand this moment. What modifiers should I copy?

He was answering me. He's talking about using JK2 models and JKA models together.

I came across another issue, that I will try to explain. Here are the front hips of my character: http://scr.hu/22as/oaahm and here is the back side of hips: http://scr.hu/22as/vfx18 .

When in Modview, there is "showing all polys as double-sized" everything looks good, I mean it's like this: http://scr.hu/22as/ziqur. But when I turn it off, the back side of it is clear, and I can see it only from the outside: http://scr.hu/22as/oaahm.

And sadly, that's how game interpretes the model, and obviously I don't want to see an see-through hips. Can I do anything about it?

Okey, thanks to my friend I managed to fix the issue. Here's the shader solution:

models/players/ZeraCV/robe
{
cull twosided
    {
        map models/players/ZeraCV/robe
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
        alphaFunc GE128
    }
    {

Man, I really hope I won't have to post anymore ^^

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this has been discussed already but since following the discussion to get the jist of how it works I've come across a recurring problem that i'd be interested in figuring out. I've only recently figured out what's been said here about using the plugins to load weights etc into blender and swap parts, so i'm not expecting to be anything of the skilled kind anytime soon, but I just wanted to know if there's a solution to this problem.

When I load the .glm of one of the spanki jedi skinpacks, or even the updated Yuna model, I get the error "unable to load skin" and it just load's the skeleton without any of the model parts(It is the skeleton right? lol). I don't know why this happens so I wanted to ask. I can only assume it's something linked with too much information having to load for the plugin or something, but I have no experience with modelling to know what it would be.

You have to import the model in this kind of directory:

Gamedata (Modview)

Base

Models

Players

YourModel & _humanoid

In case you would want to load JK2 model, just use JK2 skieleton.

Then go to blender and import the model.glm from "YourModel" folder.

I did. It's been working fine for models with less variations, well even the base jedi species like zebrak worked fine loading into blender.

Edit: never mind, it turns out I needed to have a model_default.skin file in the .glm's folder otherwise it wouldnt load any of the model parts into blender.

Okay i'm not having an issue i've never seen happen before. Ignore my ugly graphics settings, the issue i'm having is that from a certain distance all of the model besides the "skirt" becomes invisible, but if I turn my mouse to the side or walk closer to the model it becomes visible again.

1eYrFPL.jpgmnaQ8nU.jpg

Does anyone know why this would be happening? I doubt it's settings related as the other person had the same issue, so I can only assume it's related to the frankensteining.