[Request/Suggestion] New HK Unit Model

Basically what I'm suggesting is a new HK droid model, as good as SWTOR's and possibly even better (depending on the detail of the modelers here.) If it were to be done, it should have these skin variants:

And maybe add some custom variants in there for variety. Maybe even make SP customization available! Would be a real treat.

Bek likes this
  • 10 months later...

I think the reason why noone has made a model is because there are a bunch of ported HK-47 models flying around the web and it'd seem pointless to create a new model when there's one that looks decent enough. 

What I don't understand is why so many people have such a pessimistic attitude towards the development of their own skills. When I got frustrated because there were no JA maps like those in my mind, I started to learn about mapping and scripting so I could do something with the ideas I have. It doesn't really matter if someone is good or not, there are plenty of free tools and tutorials to start creating stuff that with practice will eventually be decent enough. Just a thought. 

Jeff, Langerd and ZanderNao like this

Have you seen those models compared to what they actually could be, though? Not to mention the ported one has frustrating clipping issues, holds weapons incorrectly, and sorta just looks clumsy at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq0hHaVW34I

Far more detailed, as you can see. Even though we can't achieve that total level of quality on JKA, even SWTOR managed to make a model that more than sufficed. And come on--it's HK.

As for pessimistic attitudes towards self-development, I don't believe that's the case (for me, anyway.) I don't currently have the time or the ability to learn how model things--and even if I did learn, it would take years for me to master it to some degree. Right now, we already have four quite talented modelers (@@AshuraDX, @@DT85, @@Psyk0Sith, @@Mandalorian.) They probably wouldn't take a request like this because they're either busy, aren't interested, or don't feel like it (no offense intended.)

You can't exactly blame GrayFox for his surprise, given there are a few models that really should have been done long ago. Can you believe how long it took for a new Darth Maul, or a new Jango Fett? This is definitely one of the notable things on that list of yet-to-be-dones.

You can't exactly blame GrayFox for his surprise, given there are a few models that really should have been done long ago. Can you believe how long it took for a new Darth Maul, or a new Jango Fett? This is definitely one of the notable things on that list of yet-to-be-dones.

I do not blame anybody for anything, they're free to feel as they feel like. I just find it peculiar that it seems a lot of people are scared of learning new skills. Perhaps some people are scared by the tutorials and how hard everything seems at first. I must say that the youtube videos that were uploaded by jkhub helped me to understand GTKradiant much better than any other tutorial. 

Lamented and z3filus like this

I understand, @@Noodle. Another problem, though, is that modeling is sometimes arguably harder than mapping.

In that i agree. Creating a playermodel (or importing it in GOOD way) is a way harder. Skeleton and other stuff... for mapping You must learn many things too but (in my opinion) it is like building with legos and making it with a little bit more patience and perspective skill. But with modeling... i and dont know how to make player model. I tried on blender. But without full tutorial i cant find a way to do it. Even if there are some tutorials for it. But i know You must create the parts of the limbs, caps, make textures (which have own rules again) add tags and join it to the skeleton.

Second thing ... there are some models made for fun but remember - behind that fun there is a work (and i believe it is very time consuming) . If somebody making a playermodel it could be for requests but for most part i think the model of this value is for own personal work.

But yeah mapping is very time consuming too! But you are doing the same thing all the time. With model is not that easy.

Lamented likes this

In that i agree. Creating a playermodel (or importing it in GOOD way) is a way harder. Skeleton and other stuff... for mapping You must learn many things too but (in my opinion) it is like building with legos and making it with a little bit more patience and perspective skill. But with modeling... i and dont know how to make player model. I tried on blender. But without full tutorial i cant find a way to do it. Even if there are some tutorials for it. But i know You must create the parts of the limbs, caps, make textures (which have own rules again) add tags and join it to the skeleton.

Second thing ... there are some models made for fun but remember - behind that fun there is a work (and i believe it is very time consuming) . If somebody making a playermodel it could be for requests but for most part i think the model of this value is for own personal work.

But yeah mapping is very time consuming too! But you are doing the same thing all the time. With model is not that easy.

That's all fine and well, but my point wasn't that mapping is as easy as modeling. What I'm saying, is that both of those things are skills that require care and patience to be developed and that a proactive attitude will help to get skilled in any of those fields of expertice. 

Thank you.

...But this is a request thread. Not all of them are intending to ask for inspiration to become a modeler (as stated beforehand, I don't have the time right now.) Most of the people on JKHub who request things are told to do it themselves, for some reason. All well and good, but I can't help but feel that it exhausts me to experience it in yet another another occurrence.

Daedra likes this

Reason being people seem to dislike you passive aggressive attitude, self-pity wallowing, and needless bumping. I have no problem with you- I couldn't care less frankly, but it can bother other people. Like I said, I have no dog in this fight, but maybe it'll help you see why people shoot down your requests. And generally speaking? Most of the same 5 guys end up doing requests- Asgarath, DT, Milamber, occasionally Circa, and Roxoon. Can you blame them for not taking requests, really? That's unfair to them and to everyone else. That's probably why they would rather spend time helping people develop their skills instead of ending up as everyone's 3D-modeling-you know whats. Teach a man to fish for life, he wlll never go hungry. Fish for a man one time? He becomes reliant on you to feed him. Maybe we're doing something a little bit more complex than fishing,  but still the principle applies.

Do these guys mind taking one or two requests? Obviously no, they do not. But if one person gets a request done, everyone will assume theirs will get done too. That'd be like  Adrian Peterson giving away a pair of shoes to a fan. Everyone will wonder "why does that guy get a pair of AP's shoes and I don't?" That's why most don't take requests- that or they don't have time.

I am not- repeat, NOT- trying to bash you here. What I'm trg to do is simply give you some perspective that survey says you needed to hear.

Good luck.

What the hell is this discussion leading to?? @@Noodle had a good point but was it necessary? This snowball is just growing and growing.
@ requested for a model, without offending anyone or being arrogantly demanding. Just a simple request. Could you all maybe think,
and take a closer look at where he posted this request? hmm.. yes! Oh look, he made it to the "Mod Requests & Suggestions" section.  Now back off.

Lamented likes this

What the hell is this discussion leading to?? @@Noodle had a good point but was it necessary? This snowball is just growing and growing.

@ requested for a model, without offending anyone or being arrogantly demanding. Just a simple request. Could you all maybe think,

and take a closer look at where he posted this request? hmm.. yes! Oh look, he made it to the "Mod Requests & Suggestions" section.  Now back off.

I am not fighting and do not wish to, I think everybody can do the requests they feel like, like that one guy that requested toy story models. My initial post was a response to what Grayfox was wondering. 

I think everybody in this small community is cool and tries to make things better with their skills, ideas or criticism. So if people start fighting, count me out of it because that'd be pointless. 

JAWSFreelao, Jeff and Lamented like this

Reason being people seem to dislike you passive aggressive attitude, self-pity wallowing, and needless bumping. I have no problem with you- I couldn't care less frankly, but it can bother other people. Like I said, I have no dog in this fight, but maybe it'll help you see why people shoot down your requests. And generally speaking? Most of the same 5 guys end up doing requests- Asgarath, DT, Milamber, occasionally Circa, and Roxoon. Can you blame them for not taking requests, really? That's unfair to them and to everyone else. That's probably why they would rather spend time helping people develop their skills instead of ending up as everyone's 3D-modeling-you know whats. Teach a man to fish for life, he wlll never go hungry. Fish for a man one time? He becomes reliant on you to feed him. Maybe we're doing something a little bit more complex than fishing,  but still the principle applies.

Do these guys mind taking one or two requests? Obviously no, they do not. But if one person gets a request done, everyone will assume theirs will get done too. That'd be like  Adrian Peterson giving away a pair of shoes to a fan. Everyone will wonder "why does that guy get a pair of AP's shoes and I don't?" That's why most don't take requests- that or they don't have time.

I am not- repeat, NOT- trying to bash you here. What I'm trg to do is simply give you some perspective that survey says you needed to hear.

Good luck.

So... you're translating my tact into a passive-aggressive attitude, perceiving my stable musings as self-pity wallowing, and saying I needlessly bumped this thread even though it was GrayFox who breathed life back into it? As far as I can see, no one is currently bothered (needlessly) except you. I haven't really assaulted any of the modders you mentioned or--as zefilus put it--offended anyone or arrogantly demanded a new model. My response to Noodle wasn't an argument, but rather an explanation of my current situation. I don't quite recall blaming them, rather just explaining how these things usually work.

I am not fighting and do not wish to, I think everybody can do the requests they feel like, like that one guy that requested toy story models. My initial post was a response to what Grayfox was wondering. 

I think everybody in this small community is cool and tries to make things better with their skills, ideas or criticism. So if people start fighting, count me out of it because that'd be pointless. 

I agree, Noodle. I'm glad you understand this as well. :>