Hi Guys,

I just downloaded JA for my mac using steam and I am unable to use my games controller with the game. I had this game on disk for my PC and always prefered using a gamepad, an desperately want it on my macbook now to take on holidays etc!

I wondered if anyone had a patch for this?

A bit of background:

I'm using a ps3 control with joystick mapper.

My os is 10.9.1

The game was donwloaded from steam.

thnaks a lot

JT

Hi Guys,

I just downloaded JA for my mac using steam and I am unable to use my games controller with the game. I had this game on disk for my PC and always prefered using a gamepad,

an desperately want it on my macbook now to take on holidays etc!

I wondered if anyone had a patch for this?

A bit of background:

I'm using a ps3 control with joystick mapper.

My os is 10.9.1

The game was donwloaded from steam.

thnaks a lot

JT

I wanted to request that, too. Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast should have a wider support

for modern day controllers, because the controller presets in the game are outdated.

And there are still gamers out there who prefer controllers.

CaptainCrazy likes this

I remember plugging in my Logitech controller, and in JK2, I could set some kind of controller mode in the controller setup. Then I could just bind the buttons I wanted to wherever.

The main issue is looking around/aiming. I wasn't really able to make it dynamic. Either you turned with the setup yawspeed, or you didn't. So that completely ruled out having *proper* gameplay with it, but otherwise it worked quite well actually with some limitations.

I played Jedi Academy with my Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers, just for testing. It's not that bad, but it needs a lot of optimizations.

Both controllers have 8 buttons plus 5 extra buttons (Home, Select, Start and L3 and R3), two Analog sticks and one D-Pad.

But it still feels like it itsn't enough to play Jedi Academy properly. It feels this game wasn't even intended to be played with a controller, but supports

them anyway.

In my opinion, this game needs a lot of improvements concerning modern controllers.

It needs a seperate menu specifically for controllers, where you can configure the buttons

while keeping the keyboard/mouse settings unaffected.

Smoo likes this
  • 4 weeks later...

If you really need Controller support just download Pinnacle Game Profiler I got and now i use use my Xbox One Controller for JKA it automaticly binds to controller controls to what they were for the Original Xbox (I think) but either way it feels comfortable and solid like the game came with gamepad support

Circa and ChalklYne like this
  • 7 months later...

Any updates on this? The OP referred to mac, but the replies were pertinent to PC I think.

I too have a Macbook, OS X 10.10.2, and I'm trying to use Joystick Mapper with a PS3 controller. As soon as I load Jedi Outcast (recently downloaded from Steam via Humble Bundle) the glitches begin. Whether I use JM FPS preset and tweek it, or use controller set-up in the app, by the time the game loads, the presets I loaded fail in multiple ways. Usually my computer cursor pops up and moves separately from the game crosshairs, the look/movement rarely works, buttons suddenly change function. It's unplayable. I heard Joystick Mapper was supposed to be awesome.

I have 25 days to return the PS3 Controller to the store... Would a wired Xbox 360 work better?

Why do you say the keyboard mouse works better? I find the lightsaber and space bar combo incredibly awkward...

I'm looking for as much info as possible on this. Maybe it's a Yosemite Bluetooth issue?

It works better because on a gamepad, you control your movement and vision with a stick that works based on time dilation. The movement of your thumb and the produced movement on the screen are not mapped one to one, but have aspects like degree of displacement (how far you move the stick away from the center) and time (how long you have kept the stick away from the center) factored into them. With a mouse, if I make a movement to the left by 1cm, then there will be a 1:1 corresponding movement of the camera on the screen which makes very precise and accurate movement possible. To get the same result on the screen with a gamepad though, I have to displace the stick to the left, wait a few moments for the camera to move, then release the stick again. Not to mention that the thumb is a very crude and low-precision finger to begin with and that it is incredibly difficult to get anysort of consistency in the camera movement given the displacement and time dilation factors ontop of that. The reason you don't find this utterly counterintuitive method of navigating a 3d environment awkward at all is because you've grown up doing it and don't know any better.

Specifically for JKA, techniques like poke are genuinely impossible to perform on a gamepad, nevermind the quick and precise camera movement that is required for other techniques, hell even just basic movement techniques are close to impossible without a mouse (can you even strafe jump on a gamepad at all?). JKA is mechanically far too complex to be played on something that limits your input so much. But I can see why it would appeal to people who haven't played it before and are avid console gamers, and the more people play the game, the better it is for everyone involved, so I fully support the work done on proper gamepad implementation.

afi, RancorSNP and Smoo like this

I play with a PS3 controller using MotionInJoy, it's pretty much set up just like the XBOX controls. I did this since I was late on the PC gaming scene and was too used to playing games on consoles, I guess if I had time to learn I could use the keyboard and mouse but it'd probably take a ton of customizing to stop it from feeling awkward. FPS games are the only ones that really feel natural with a keyboard and mouse, I'll use that if I'm just using guns in JA but not with the saber.

Poke doesn't work but poking is a pretty cheap way to get an easy kill anyway, sidestepping "pro pokers" and killing them with yellow stance is more rewarding.

Lancelot and Smoo like this