Jedi Academy NPC limit

Hey there.. If anyone has ever created NPC's for JA before, they would have noticed that after creating too many, an error pops up saying something a long the lines of '' .npc extensions are too large!"

I was wondering if there is any modification that can be done to fix this limit and raise it? I would really like to be able to create more than 30+ NPC's without this error stopping me.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggest! :D i have a some trouble, but is possible to solve, if yu replace the NPC of original game with your owner...

but.... original game will do some bad crashes if in a level there are more of 5 NPC with a saber in the load of level, yu have a crash of level. i hope Openjkcode can resolve this trouble because is one thing that become me... CRAZY! >.<

For multiplayer you can increase the limit by increasing the following line in "codemp\game\NPC_stats.c":

#define MAX_NPC_DATA_SIZE 0x40000

For example doubling it to 0x80000.

And recompile the game.

For singleplayer it's the same thing, but in the "code\game\NPC_stats.cpp" file instead.

Smoo and Evulant like this

Hint: you can eliminate some of the unused NPCs by using a .npc file with the same file name. But if you use a different name for the NPC, it'll be a seamless replace. So, you could replace reborn_weequay with palpatine by just using the same file name.

yes Eez, but for do that, need to call palpatine "weequay" in NPC file, or if NPClist is full, the NPC weequay was removed and cannot spawn. i tell that for personal experience  :( in many mod there is NPC with new names, and NPC replaced: same name, same playermodel address. is replaced the model with the new model, and are edited the parameters of NPC file.

Forgive my novice-ness, but one of the files I've kept in my base folder since I found Jedi Academy mods is "Unlimited" which lifts the restrictions on map number, npc number, saber number and the like.

I'm not sure on the JK3files/JKhub policy so we can remove the link if necessary, but it is obtainable at this link.

Forgive my novice-ness, but one of the files I've kept in my base folder since I found Jedi Academy mods is "Unlimited" which lifts the restrictions on map number, npc number, saber number and the like.

I'm not sure on the JK3files/JKhub policy so we can remove the link if necessary, but it is obtainable at this link.

That's for MP only though.

No you don't. All you need to do is replace the .npc file with a different one. If the contents are totally different, then it won't matter. It loads the first file from the search path.

mh, that's is interessing, but in my mod i recicle some level by JA changing NPC, so i need also old NPC with old name for make recognized, or the maps of the game cannot work because not found the NPC spawned. :\  (in same level, this make crash game, example: vjun3, i never understand why.)

Wait guys... I'm using openJK, a version Scooper sent me.. And I have made over 300 NPC's and still no crash?! this problem is pretty much solved! :D

Nice! I see in the description of download of Openjk that the our coder staff has removed many of unusufel error message like shader _max indexes hit (very boring, never can do massive effect -.- ) if ha sremoved also the NPC trouble that's was great! W the open source JKA! :D

when i download code the first time by the fork page, i  not understood what mean what "remove some error message" by the list of modify of the code. now i know! very nice! :D

• 10 months later...

One helpful alternative for modders would be the rule "one model - one NPC", which means, that if you want to create R2-H8 droid for instance, you don't have to create a new folder R2-H8 and a file R2-H8.npc

Instead you make a R2_H8.skin in R2D2 folder, and a script, which sets this skin for R2 model. No need to create dozens of rodians, grans, humans (like Jedi_HM).

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
On 10/21/2013 at 11:47 AM, Scooper said:

For multiplayer you can increase the limit by increasing the following line in "codemp\game\NPC_stats.c":

#define MAX_NPC_DATA_SIZE 0x40000

For example doubling it to 0x80000.

And recompile the game.

For singleplayer it's the same thing, but in the "code\game\NPC_stats.cpp" file instead.

how do I find "code\game\NPC_stats.cpp" file?