rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

I suggest you run a GPU usage monitor tool and check if your video card is running at (close to) 100% usage. If not then you are most likely hitting a CPU bottleneck, maybe caused by r_cubemapping if it is on. Sunlightmode 2 is also really bad if that is on due to rendering multiple views each frame.

But DT mentioned his FPS drops only with postprocessing enabled. All of that is contained in the RB_PostProcess function.

Indeed, but if it's not running at 100% the hit to overall FPS gets greatly exaggerated.

If he has a 1gb vid card, enabling texture compression might also help.

Seems that ssao was the culprit.

Well I just found something interesting regarding lights. It seems you can compile maps to keep the lights as entities within the BSP. This will no doubt drive up the entity count, but it may be a way to get those shadows working with all lights rather than just from the sun.

Archangel35757 likes this
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Xycaleth would make a good government agent. Just replace

"Can neither confirm or deny that area 51 exists"

with

"Can neither confirm or deny that rend2 is still in development"

:P

Sorry for keeping everyone in the dark. I just needed some time away from rend2, and some space just to work on things without feeling like people were waiting on me.

I started working on rend2 again (on and off) about two months ago. I didn't tell anyone (except for a few people) so I don't have people asking me to add feature X or feature Y all the time. It gets tiring, and I feel like I'm letting these people down because I feel like it's something I could add, but with so much to do, I don't know when or if I'll be able to get around to looking at it. I'm figuring things out as I go so a lot of what needs to be done, goes at snail's pace. Add to that the fact that I lose motivation to work on long projects fairly often, it can be a bit frustrating.

Now I'm getting back to it, I want to just get the vanilla parity up to scratch. Surface sprites are mostly done, and I wanted to do fog and/or weather next (they're kind of intertwined).

Here's the first screenshot of the year:

shot2016-03-13_11-01-48.jpg

Surface sprite density has been increased for testing, to see how it affects frame rate.

And as a bonus, I have a new Nvidia 970 card now :D The dev tools from Nvidia appear to be much better than AMD's (from what I can see so far)

AshuraDX, Circa, Boothand and 8 others like this