rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

Ok so the ghoul2 version model was a bit borked, but it's fixed now. Now we can see the true issue:

6zap7c.jpg

After a few vid_restarts, it comes good:

2ptuquh.jpg

Now here's Kyle to show it stuffs up on one of Raven's models:

nbbrsg.jpg

This is random. Sometimes it looks spot-on, sometimes it looks horribly incorrect. So what could be going on here @@Xycaleth?

@@Xycaleth

Any ideas for what could be causing those weird normals?

Also, I was in source engine's hammer map editor just now and I saw there is a cubemap size setting for the cubemap entity. Perhaps the mapper being able to set the cubemap size would be handy for rend2? Was thinking a field to input the size, like for example:

key: cubemapsize

value: 128

There can be info on sizes and when is best to use what sizes in the info window. This could be handy as not all areas need the same size cubemap and may save on performance.

Any ideas for what could be causing those weird normals?

I haven't look into it properly yet. My first guesses would be some kind of uninitialized memory somewhere or some wrong calculations.

Also, I was in source engine's hammer map editor just now and I saw there is a cubemap size setting for the cubemap entity. Perhaps the mapper being able to set the cubemap size would be handy for rend2? Was thinking a field to input the size, like for example:

key: cubemapsize

value: 128

There can be info on sizes and when is best to use what sizes in the info window. This could be handy as not all areas need the same size cubemap and may save on performance.

I'm not too fond of using cubemaps for everything. They should generally be localized to a small set of objects. I'm planning to add in screen-space reflections which should work much better with large surfaces like walls and floors/rivers/puddles. What's kind of annoying for cubemaps at the moment is that they really need a bounding box or a bounding sphere for them to look correct. I can add a min/max key or radius key to the misc_cubemap, but mappers won't be able to visualise it.

Anyone have a reasonably high poly character model lying around? Say 20-30k triangles? I want to see if having that many tris actually affects performance or not :)EDIT: Do the existing tools even let you export Ghoul2 tools with that many triangles?

I'm pretty sure the dotXSI exporters will export it properly... we'd just have to "make a change request" to Carcass. You could ask rich if he put those limitations in his Ghoul2 exporter for Noesis.

It will have a performance hit. I've never tried a model with that many but you get the same result just with something in the 6k range with a handful on screen at once. The Geth model does this if you spawn a few of them, FPS drops noticeably but I don't think that model has LOD's which make a huge difference.

It will have a performance hit. I've never tried a model with that many but you get the same result just with something in the 6k range with a handful on screen at once. The Geth model does this if you spawn a few of them, FPS drops noticeably but I don't think that model has LOD's which make a huge difference.

In rend2 or the vanilla renderer? Rend2 uses completely different code for rendering and doesn't have the same deficiencies as the vanilla renderer. Character models in modern games can be upwards of 40k triangles so I figured 20k would be a good starting point.
DT. and Archangel35757 like this