rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

So @@Xycaleth, what would be the estimation on when rend2 would be complete enough for a port to SP? I realise there would be 2 rend2's to keep updated then.

I'll look into having universal renderers (i.e. working for both SP and MP) soon; should have results within the month (although they may just be "not possible", if we're unlucky). Assuming it works out, it will probably be fairly easy for Xyc to update rend2 so it works in SP.
Archangel35757, DT. and Stoiss like this

So @@Xycaleth, what would be the estimation on when rend2 would be complete enough for a port to SP? I realise there would be 2 rend2's to keep updated then.

It's not really a question of when, it's more the fact that I don't particularly don't want to do twice as much work :/ If mrwonko can unify the SP and MP renderers then that'd be great and I'd happily get rend2 working so SP.

In other news, I've seen issues with using misc_models and normals. It's like they're aren't rotated properly by q3map2..

Anyhow, I've been working on deferred shading in rend2. Progress is going at a steady pace. Here's mp/duel1 combined with rainbow road from Mario:

shot2015-09-05_12-03-32.jpg

Didz, Wasa, z3filus and 4 others like this

I don't remember seeing anything odd when I was testing out misc model, I'll check again.

So what has deferred shading done to the pic you posted?

It's broken the lighting on misc_models and added the rainbow effect around the map :D When it's done, it'll allow me to optimize the rendering further.
DT. likes this

This is just some debugging visualisations but I think it looks pretty cool :) When a map gets compiled, a lightmap is produced but also a light grid. This is basically how much light there is at every 3d point in the world (evenly spaced out).

I've made a visualisation of the ambient light at each of these points:

shot2015-09-05_23-49-39.png

The same effect can be used for fog and volumetric effects so I expect I'll be putting this same technique to good use somewhere else :)

Exmirai, DT., Didz and 7 others like this
  • 1 month later...
Guest KENNITHH

no I mean : the complexity of maps... the maps we know of can't handle this much models, definitly not in the open as FPS will be really low.

My question, which I shouldve asked better is if rend2 can actually handle all these models in the open better than the original renderer, same for a bigger terrain

Here's something that's been bugging me so I thought bringing it up might be a good idea. Has any consideration been made to making the transition between the legacy renderer and rend2 easier? Updating shaders is my concern.

For those who do not know, I am part of the Movie Battles II development team. Internally the topic of rend2 has come up many times. The inevitable conclusion though is that we have too much legacy material to convert manually. Between our maps, models, and UI, our shader count numbers over 600 discrete files (or 3 MBs of text). We will never have the resources to manually rewrite everything to the bare minimum point of looking the same as before.

The only solutions I can think of would be to either have a hybrid render mode which could read and display the old shaders while still allowing the use of newer capabilities and optimization, or an external tool which could automatically parse old shader files and convert them into equivalent versions in the new shader format. I have no idea how technically feasible either would be though.