Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast source code released!!

after looking closely at the source code content some files truly  shouldn't be there, when you compare to original q3 code GPL. EAX, mp3 and few others header are the problematic ones, Xbox stuff should have been cleaned up b4 the release.

Christ, I got the Outcast one but the JA one 404'd on me. Seems someone must be working really hard to avoid spreading these files. Fortunately, I found yet another link which actually worked.

Hmm, that's odd, Reymey. I just clicked on my original link and it worked fine. Weird. Oh well, glad you snagged them. :)

after looking closely at the source code content some files truly  shouldn't be there, when you compare to original q3 code GPL. EAX, mp3 and few others header are the problematic ones, Xbox stuff should have been cleaned up b4 the release.

The MP3 code is apparently GPL, which means Raven should have released the source 10 years ago.

The Xbox stuff that is still left in is fine - but the original upload containing the full xbox port probably is not.

They've already removed Feelit and Bink from their repo

Evulant likes this

codemp/mp3code/config.h and almost every other file there.

FreeAmp - The Free MP3 Player

Portions Copyright (C) 1998-1999 EMusic.com

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

$Id: config.win32,v 1.16 1999/12/09 08:44:07 elrod Exp $
They can get away with using OpenAL because they only link it.
iMp likes this

Chances are if they used this here, this could go back as far as EF or SoF1.

Definitely back to EF, I already checked that. So if the worst happens we can probably count on the Free Software Foundation to back us up. Unless they actually had a different license for the code and just didn't change the files out of laziness (and lack of necessity, really).

Still, let's wait for official word before taking action. For now, code away happily.

But I'm a little concerned as to why they pulled the source code from the repo.

Yeah, me too. Possibly for making legal double- and triple-check it to make sure there's nothing like Bink still in it before releasing it. This was a rather quick'n'dirty release.

This was a rather quick'n'dirty release.

It certainly seems to be. Makes you wonder why though. I mean, they've had a good ten years to clean up any legal liabilities if they were expecting to release the source at some point anyway. So why the rushed job? If the fall of Lucas Arts was the only incentive to releasing the code, you wouldn't expect there to be any deadlines.

I'll be the first to admit that this is just (pathetically) wishful thinking, but could there be any ulterior motives behind this? Perhaps generate a new spark of interest in the JK franchise, and estimate whether or not they'd get a return on investment for a brand new game?

An incredibly boring alternative, of course, is that they were just lazy. Any thoughts on this?  

It certainly seems to be. Makes you wonder why though. I mean, they've had a good ten years to clean up any legal liabilities if they were expecting to release the source at some point anyway. So why the rushed job? If the fall of Lucas Arts was the only incentive to releasing the code, you wouldn't expect there to be any deadlines.

They've been thinking about this for quite a while. In the chaos of the LucasArts firings they finally managed to get the green light. Utterly euphoric they quickly scooped up the first code they could find, zipped it up and uploaded it, glad to be making the community happy. Or that's how I picture it.
eezstreet and Jango40 like this

There is a well-known Star Wars costuming group that had been doing their thing - idk walking around in costumes, attending official Lucasfilm events - before Disney's takeover. A little while after the takeover they received a message to stop doing that for certain events as it hadn't been approved by Disney. No one knows why except that Disney didn't get paid by the group for rights to do so.

I don't know if you see the relation between that incident and the source code being retracted. Maybe before its destruction LucasArts allowed it. But then later Disney realises it and decides that they could possibly squeeze some $ out of it or whatever and says withdraw it.

If you think I'm making no sense or it's too far-fetched by all means you can ignore this :)

False, Disney has nothing to do with the source getting taken down. Raven took down the source code from SourceForge on their own volition. It's probably best just to say "legal issues" for now, but it should be back up soon. In the meantime, OpenJK is strongly suggested over the original version, since there are no issues with it in terms of legality that we are currently aware of.

Hi Guys, awesome job with OpenJK and glad this is a community project :D.  Opening up the git source i had a few recommendations for clean up.  One is folder renaming.  Just to make sure everyone is clearer on what the different folders contain maybe clearer names would aid in people coming on board or just anyone if their brain's slowed down into the wee hours of the night coding.  For example:

code --> JASP
codeJk2 --> JK2SP

codemp --> JAMP

I'm guessing those are the right mappings.  I'd also like to start helping with bug fixes maybe, i used to mod the heck out of this game back in the day:

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Old_School_Mod;36431

But if you want a limited amount of people operating on the repository that's cool.  Anyways, happy modding!