Jump to content

Shoot Dodge mod (inspired by Max Payne)


Recommended Posts

Edit Jan/2021 - new trailer released here:
 

 

Hey everyone!  First time poster and long time lurker here and hope you are doing well.  I love Jedi Outcast but before you get your lightsaber and force powers the early levels felt really bland.  Around the same time JO was released, another one of my favorite games came out called Max Payne which had a gameplay feature called shoot dodging. Inspired by cinematography from John Woo movies, the staple of the game was you could temporarily slow down time and dive while shooting which provided tons of defensive and offensive capabilities during gun fights.  I've implemented some of it but it still requires a lot of polish.  ETA is Christmas of this year:
 

 

Link to comment

Oh god! Trust me Tinny, what you do has a great potential.
It seems rather (comparatively) simple feature - 
but look, it really adds a brand new angle to the gameplay! 
I mean, using guns in JKA is now interesting experience.

Plus we still have characters like Boba & Jango 
who will really benefit from implementing your code!

By the way, have you ever think of co-operating
with MD2 Remastered team?
Jace do wonders with saber combat 
but what you do is what he lacks I think..

Best wishes,
St.Ivan

Droidy365 and PreFXDesigns like this
Link to comment

Hi St. Ivan!  I've been out of the modding loop for a decade or so but started picking it up during quarantine.  By MD2 do you mean the Movie Duels team?  If so their mod is more multiplayer and mine is single player.  The code I've written wouldn't port over well plus if you're gaming with others they might get annoyed if everyone slows down in time if only a few people keep doing shoot dodges.  Thank you so much for the compliments!

NumberWan and DarthStiv like this
Link to comment
11 hours ago, tinny said:

Hi St. Ivan!  I've been out of the modding loop for a decade or so but started picking it up during quarantine.  By MD2 do you mean the Movie Duels team?  If so their mod is more multiplayer and mine is single player.  The code I've written wouldn't port over well plus if you're gaming with others they might get annoyed if everyone slows down in time if only a few people keep doing shoot dodges.  Thank you so much for the compliments!

Oh no, the multiplayer mode is Movie Battles actually!
What I am talking about is this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/movie-duels
100% singleplayer mod.
The code developer is Jace Soloaris: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHSZDdH3ny-Vg-YaLQkh9-g?reload=9&reload=9 
Look by yourself. Many interesting features, but most of them are sabercombat-oriented

yeyo JK likes this
Link to comment
13 hours ago, scp_chaos1 said:

This is on another level, I would love to see this at JKA, it's still just beautiful work, congratulations.

Thanks man!

 

3 hours ago, DarthStiv said:

Oh no, the multiplayer mode is Movie Battles actually!
What I am talking about is this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/movie-duels
100% singleplayer mod.
The code developer is Jace Soloaris: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHSZDdH3ny-Vg-YaLQkh9-g?reload=9&reload=9 
Look by yourself. Many interesting features, but most of them are sabercombat-oriented

This looks spectacular, it's obvious the author put a lot of love into the mod.  That would be cool to do a collaboration in the future.

scp_chaos1 and DarthStiv like this
Link to comment
On 11/6/2020 at 7:14 PM, tinny said:

Hey everyone!  First time poster and long time lurker here and hope you are doing well.  I love Jedi Outcast but before you get your lightsaber and force powers the early levels felt really bland.  Around the same time JO was released, another one of my favorite games came out called Max Payne which had a gameplay feature called shoot dodging. Inspired by cinematography from John Woo movies, the staple of the game was you could temporarily slow down time and dive while shooting which provided tons of defensive and offensive capabilities during gun fights.  I've implemented some of it but it still requires a lot of polish.  ETA is Christmas of this year:
 

 

That's amazing!! Keep it up! I hope a day it will be complete and you will share that magic ? shoot combats can be much more better with that.

tinny and yeyo JK like this
Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 9:14 PM, tinny said:

Hey everyone!  First time poster and long time lurker here and hope you are doing well.  I love Jedi Outcast but before you get your lightsaber and force powers the early levels felt really bland.  Around the same time JO was released, another one of my favorite games came out called Max Payne which had a gameplay feature called shoot dodging. Inspired by cinematography from John Woo movies, the staple of the game was you could temporarily slow down time and dive while shooting which provided tons of defensive and offensive capabilities during gun fights.  I've implemented some of it but it still requires a lot of polish.  ETA is Christmas of this year:
 

 

OMG! :o 

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just a status update.  It looks like there will most likely be a delay and ETA might be shifted from Christmas to New Years.  I've done most of the code and animations in Blender but struggling with the following:

  • Transitions between animations in air look really robotic and janky and looking at different options on smoothing it out
  • Still have to work out the gameplay with how shoot dodging will work with force speed
  • Gameplay balance

Sorry for the delay!

Link to comment
  • 5 weeks later...

This is a really cool addition to gameplay! Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to change the vanilla rolling to essentially work like Dark Souls? Basically, being able to roll at any angle and quickly recover to lead into an attack. This would add an interesting layer of depth to both lightsaber and blaster combat, and it would compliment this dive ability really well. If possible, have it so that it doesn't kill momentum too much if you're going at full speed too, as that's something I always found annoying about rolling and wall running in Vanilla.

Link to comment
On 1/17/2021 at 4:17 AM, Droidy365 said:

This is a really cool addition to gameplay! Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to change the vanilla rolling to essentially work like Dark Souls? Basically, being able to roll at any angle and quickly recover to lead into an attack. This would add an interesting layer of depth to both lightsaber and blaster combat, and it would compliment this dive ability really well. If possible, have it so that it doesn't kill momentum too much if you're going at full speed too, as that's something I always found annoying about rolling and wall running in Vanilla.

Hey @Droidy365, having a little trouble understanding.  Lightsaber/gun recovery from a roll is pretty quick but you'd like the momentum to be retained as much as possible like a Parkour roll like in the 3D Mario games?  Sorry I haven't played Dark Souls.

Droidy365 likes this
Link to comment
2 hours ago, tinny said:

Hey @Droidy365, having a little trouble understanding.  Lightsaber/gun recovery from a roll is pretty quick but you'd like the momentum to be retained as much as possible like a Parkour roll like in the 3D Mario games?  Sorry I haven't played Dark Souls.

Yeah, pretty much that concept, with 360° movement (or at least forward, back, left, right and diagonal). The camera doesn't drop and the controls are more responsive. Usually, it's bound to a key separate from the crouch button like ALT or X (maybe C? Is there anyone who doesn't bind crouch to CTRL?) to avoid accidentally crouching instead of rolling, though there might be a way around this if that's not something we want. By default, tapping the roll key will roll you forward, even if you're not moving forward. Moving in other directions will make you roll in that direction. When you're rolling, you're not locked to that one plane of movement - you still have some control while rolling (mostly during the dive part of the roll animation.)

I hope I explained this well enough to understand, it's a bit difficult to explain. If you've played Jedi Fallen Order, it's a lot like that.

tinny likes this
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished up most of the polish, I need a couple of volunteers to beta test the mod to find glitches.  I've tested it pretty well so hoping for no major surprises.  I'll take a couple volunteers but you will need a copy of JO installed for a 64 bit version of Windows (not JA, hoping to make a future release for it) and DM your email to send a link and instructions.  After a couple days of testing I should be able to do a general release this week.

ooeJack, DarthValeria, Jolly and 1 other like this
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...