Rey's Staff (Work In Progress)

Okay, guys. After looking through every resource I could find, this is the best one I could make.

I try to get the model as close to the references as possible. It's not perfect (yet), but I will try to make the best out of it.

The staff was made in Sketchup and was "cleaned" and rendered in Blender. The rendering sucks, because I still can't get the camera in Blender right.  :rolleyes:

Staff%204_zpsxsmfbnrl.pngh

(I hope somebody can, if it ever gets finished, help me out later to texture it and make it ready for the game. :D )

Thanks to the wonderful thing that Photobucket introduced, which forces you to pay a meager fee

of about 400$ to activate 3rd party hosting, my progress screenshots are gone. Fortunately, there are still

my Sketchfab previews. I put the latest update here.

[uPDATE, April 14th, 2017]

Omicron, Darth Sion, Onysfx and 7 others like this

Hey, guys. I have no rendering this time, but a small update.

So, where should I begin? First, I'm still working on the model. Yes, I mentioned in my previous post that it is finished, except for some textures and stuff. Well, the model itself was finished to me, until I bumped into higher quality images

of the staff, so I ended up redoing minor parts. I'm painstakingly trying to focus on as many details as possible while trying to keep the polycount low (the engine of Jedi Academy doesn't like high polycounts, you know?).

If I could give this project a percentage, I would say it's 90% done. The fundamental parts are finished, but there are still some small parts that have to be added. Anything else can be done with texture work.

This is what I've been working on so far. I rendered them with a wireframe this time, because the bad lightning I had in the other renderings removed some details.

The model had lots of polygons and stuff, but after I've figured out how to use that decimate tool, I could reduce them by an impressive amount.

stff01_zpsup4zuhbd.jpg

stff03_zpsd94nyg1q.jpg

wireframeStaff5_zpsgig8waim.jpg

Imo that's overkill for a weapon, you'd be better off reducing the number of sides to 8, that'll cut down on budget and still retain the silhouette. Another thing would be to float geometry at the expense of texture space, you can however find a good balance for that if you add egeloops at strategic areas.

What's the triangle and vertex count on it?

AshuraDX, DT85 and Merek like this

I have been summoned.

Psyk0 pretty much allready said what I was about to write.

I'd say redo the model - that will be way less work than bringing what you have right now down to an acceptable amount of geometry

you could take a look at this "tutorial" I uploaded a while ago - it might help you keep the triangle count low for your next take of that model

[sharedmedia=tutorials:tutorials:177]

you can see some of the techniques put to action here :

https://jkhub.org/albums/eGDMQ
https://sketchfab.com/models/f58a4b0820fe4530a82f21bca6f8b96b

this one has a lot of tiny details - but they are all textured on

https://sketchfab.com/models/d42371ff45884f498ced3106cf35ed57

EDIT: also another tipp everything that doesn't impact the silhouette significantly when viewed from a distance does not have to be modeled - an example for this would be the small extrusions around one end of the staff (those you displayed in the first screenshot you posted)

DT85 likes this

@@AshuraDX @@Ramikad

Thanks for the help and advises :winkthumb:  . Now I know that the verts and tris were way over-the-top, something I wanted to avoid when I started it (I'm aware that the engine can't handle a huge amount of them in a model).

Definitely keep the original model for yourself. It looks really nice, and is a good piece of digital art!

Lancelot likes this

You can use this model for baking onto a lower res one

Now why would he want a lower res version?! Why bother designing a mod if it's gonna be lower res? I just don't see the point, personally. All models should be as high-res as possible, as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely keep the original model for yourself. It looks really nice, and is a good piece of digital art!

Thanks, Circa  ;) . I'm definitely gonna keep the high quality version, as I've spent so much time on it. I'm currently working on the lower quality version (which now has Verts: 1,621; Tris: 2,593; Faces: 718).

Go put it up on the Unity or Unreal4 store or something, I'm sure they won't mind the extra tris.   :)

I have no plans at the moment other than getting it, if it ever gets finished, to JA. But who knows? Maybe, just maybe, the higher quality version will have its purpose somewhere other than JA.  ;)

Hopefully the model is ready anytime soon. I'm still looking for someone who can rig the model and make a texture for it if ever gets finished.

Now why would he want a lower res version?! Why bother designing a mod if it's gonna be lower res? I just don't see the point, personally. All models should be as high-res as possible, as far as I'm concerned.

The level of detail present there is higher than can be seen at most distances, and puts a large strain on the computer.

GMRobinHood and Lancelot like this

You can use this model for baking onto a lower res one

It would need soft beveled edges and surface details but i don't see any on the high poly version, right now it'd be like baking a simple AO map of the low poly, it's a start but it means more manual painting vs. a true high poly bake.

Someone clearly doesn't understand the engine limitations, nor the real nitty-gritty bits of modeling.  This old engine will shit the bed if models are not kept to certain restrictions.  More so, the one reason to maintain a low-res/high-detail balance is that while 1 model being rendered in game at the maximum detail may be fine, for every additional instance of that model or a similarly high-detail one, the game engine is going to lag and drop frames like a military cadet with leprosy.

Langerd likes this

Someone clearly doesn't understand the engine limitations, nor the real nitty-gritty bits of modeling.  This old engine will shit the bed if models are not kept to certain restrictions.  More so, the one reason to maintain a low-res/high-detail balance is that while 1 model being rendered in game at the maximum detail may be fine, for every additional instance of that model or a similarly high-detail one, the game engine is going to lag and drop frames like a military cadet with leprosy.

:lol:.. What I meant was, keep it high-res enough so that it has the best detail, the game can handle. @@Darth Martyr achieved it with the hilt of Kylo Ren's lightsaber. So I'm just saying that if the quality of Rey's staff can match that quality, then there isn't a problem and everyone's a winner!  ^_^

Imagine a high-res staff with Dynamic Glow.

15 fps action 

Darth Martyr and Lancelot like this