Contest: Kitbashed/ Frankensteined

How about one involving original models, so we can have frankenstein model-makers to move a bit out of their comfort zone? :)

yeah that would be nice too.  Whoever enters the contest will just have to deal with it ^^  I will edit my first post as soon as I see even 3 contestants

I think this sounds like a great idea, @! Contests are always a good way to improve everyone's skills. And I don't have a problem with Frankenstein experiments. I've seen some outstanding Frankenstein work. Each to their own skill: creating new models is a fascinating process, but so is tweaking existing models and mix-and-matching well to achieve a brand new result. They are two creative approaches, and both have been known to produce outstanding results.

So I vote that this contest be made official. Let the best Frankenstein win! :winkthumb:

Indeed - since frankensteining became absolutely effort less we have been flooded with these "creations"

:shrug: Rant ahead :ph34r:

Very few of our small modding community actually take up the effort to learn to create something of their own

Frankensteining has it's limits and without learning how to create soemthing from scratch these limits are impossible to overcome.

a frankensteined model also has the potential to be really bloated in filesize

depending on how many models were involved in the process of its creation assembly and what the UV coordinates of these original models look like

with a moderate understanding of 3d software and UV Unwrapping/mapping this could be avoided.

I have only seen one single Frankenstein here that I liked - simply because it hardly looked like a frankenstein due to the very good reskinning done and

had because it was not purely bundled together from existing models but actually had 3d content created for it.

Fact is that learning modeling is really not hard, and after grasping the basics it's all about applieing what you learned to the situation

so if you want to make a model for Jedi Academy - learn how to model and then look for tutorials on how to make that model usable in the game

looking for a specific tutorial on modeling for Jedi Academy won't help at all since there is no such thing as modeling for a specific game

most if not all tutorials for getting stuff in JKA mention everything one has to keep in mind when adapting his model to Jedi academy

If I as a 14 year old boy coudl learn it from the internet without any previosu experience - everybody can learning something new doesn't require any skill

(except reading comprehension if you are learning from written tutorials), so don't think about just claiming "I don't have the skills it takes to model"

just because you are to lazy to invest time in learning these skills - and if you say this because you tried leanring and found that you sucked, let me tell you this :

everybody sucks at this when he/she starts, it's part of the learning process simply because you have to learn to walk before you can learn how to run !

If you really ended up reading through this rant and feel like picking up 3d modeling pm me and i'll push you in the "right" direction

tl;dr OC is better than copypasta, now go and learn how to make some OC

Bek, eezstreet and minilogoguy18 like this