Modelers Willing To Model & Skin For $

Hi,

JKH does not condone the selling of models for cash. However, some modelers are willing to engage in it, and it's not technically illegal as they would be selling you the model, not the mod. Just be aware that in order for it to be truly legal, you might need to contribute to the model, like getting it rigged for JKA/JK2.

Tbh, selling models isn't a bad thing so long as the quality & time spent matches the price.

People do this all the time all over the net so what's the problem here? There's nothing illegal about selling your own work.

If you can't get a model made for free and you have the means, why not ask a freelance artist.

Archangel35757 likes this

To be honest I've worked a lot with Source and it's certainly not an engine that one would pay another person to make custom content.

I think it's kinda silly to pay a person to make something for such a simple engine.  Now if you're talking high detail and all that stuff, for a next-gen engine then sure but certainly not for an engine as old as this one.

Why?

Because i could literally knock out maybe 5 models a day depending on what it/they was/were and that really isn't worth being paid for and if i asked you to pay me then it'd be an insult to your intelligence and also disrespectful.

I've sold models here and there on Turbosquid but, to be honest, that was only to see if people would even buy them.  Not that i made crap or anything i just wanted to see how good i was at modeling lol.

So as someone with a business background and knowing how LA is/was with their rules about modding, the easiest way to go about this is ask the question " who is willing to create a model/skin for money?"  With that statement  your are actually paying the person for their time/work.  Now as long as you A) pay that person the agreed amount, and B) release said model/skin free to the public/or keep it quiet for yourself, then you should, in theory be in the clear.  

It should also be noted that I am not a lawyer so don't take this for gospel truth either.   Just my two cents really.

JAWSFreelao likes this

You can legally pay someone for the time/service of making the model. What you can't do is then take the finished 'product' and sell it on to others. This is how fan film actors can be paid for their projects, for example. They're being reimbursed for their time/services, but the product itself (the film) isn't then sold on commercially.

That said, JKA seems to have gone this far without resorting to this sort of thing - is it worth changing that now?

Circa, eezstreet, Bane_Ross and 3 others like this

You can legally pay someone for the time/service of making the model. What you can't do is then take the finished 'product' and sell it on to others. This is how fan film actors can be paid for their projects, for example. They're being reimbursed for their time/services, but the product itself (the film) isn't then sold on commercially.

That said, JKA seems to have gone this far without resorting to this sort of thing - is it worth changing that now?

It would seem to depend on how he negotiates the rights to the model with the artist, no? If the artist sells him the rights as part of their contract, then what prevents him from legally reselling it-- say on Turbosquid, etc.?

Thank you, summarized my thoughts perfectly. :)

Barricade24 likes this

It would seem to depend on how he negotiates the rights to the model with the artist, no? If the artist sells him the rights as part of their contract, then what prevents him from legally reselling it-- say on Turbosquid, etc.?

how's it immoral if the artist sells him full rights?

Well, that would be up to the artist and how he negotiates/sells the rights, no?

In theory that's fine, and the matter of it being a moral issue is moot.

The real way that selling said model would become a legal issue, is depending on what the model is.  If it is say, a Star Wars model, but it was made by a freelance modeler, then while yes it should be fine to pay the artist for their work, the actual selling of the mesh by either party would be copyright infringement, since it uses the Star Wars IP.

From that point, it comes down to, would it actually be an issue?

Well, more than likely not, no.  Because odds are it isn't going to be so world changing that it ever catches LA's or Disney's eye, BUT that doesn't change the fact that you would be tip-toeing along copyright boundaries.

Which is why I say JKH doesn't really support the idea. But as a coder who has done some sketchy, EULA-breaking stuff before (says not to edit the .exe through a mod. I say nay!), I don't see a problem with it. It's legal gray area to some extent, but you could argue that you're paying someone for the labor more than the work of art. Regardless, I personally don't have a real issue with under-the-table stuff like this, but the site really can't support anything which is too too sketchy. I suggest you keep contacts secret and don't openly discuss who's doing what.

JAWSFreelao likes this

In theory that's fine, and the matter of it being a moral issue is moot.

The real way that selling said model would become a legal issue, is depending on what the model is.  If it is say, a Star Wars model, but it was made by a freelance modeler, then while yes it should be fine to pay the artist for their work, the actual selling of the mesh by either party would be copyright infringement, since it uses the Star Wars IP.

From that point, it comes down to, would it actually be an issue?

Well, more than likely not, no.  Because odds are it isn't going to be so world changing that it ever catches LA's or Disney's eye, BUT that doesn't change the fact that you would be tip-toeing along copyright boundaries.

Hmmm... seems to be hundreds of Star Wars models for sale on TurboSquid.com.