Porting Discussion

To be frank? Depends on if a) any original author(s) has a problem with them being used in this way. b) likelihood of anyone caring. c) proportion of assets ported. d) whether or author trying or not to pass of as own work. e) whether credit given or not. f) contribution to community enjoyment of game

As you can see, its a complicated decision. Not one that can be simplified into a set of standardized rules.

My personal opinion on a file like that would be not to host it if the majority of models were ported, as I wouldn't personally consider that "fair use." It would be discussed with the rest of the site staff if there was any disagreement.

Having said that, any old files would probably only be reviewed if a direct request to withdraw the file was made.

An file like that is actually a really good example of why a specific rule just isn't enough to define what should and should not be considered acceptable.

TheWhitePhoenix and Link like this

To be frank? Depends on if a) any original author(s) has a problem with them being used in this way. B) likelihood of anyone caring. c) proportion of assets ported. d) whether or author trying or not to pass of as own work. e) whether credit given or not. f) contribution to community enjoyment of game

As you can see, its a complicated decision. Not one that can be simplified into a set of standardized rules.

My personal opinion on a file like that would be not to host it if the majority of models were ported, as I wouldn't personally consider that "fair use." It would be discussed with the rest of the site staff if there was any disagreement.

Having said that, any old files would probably only be reviewed if a direct request to withdraw the file was made.

An file like that is actually a really good example of why a specific rule just isn't enough to define what should and should not be considered acceptable.

An opinion I agree with. :)

So what if it's a ported mesh, but custom sounds + textures?

Furthermore, what if it consists of ported content, but from a variety of different sources, each source being used enough to classify as fair use?

Example: Extreme Weapons Pack. Has tooons of guns, all of them being retextured after being ported from a variety of games. There's at least 40 guns in the pack, some are custom, sone are ported but nothing is just 100% ported. How would you classify this?

What's the Extreme Weapons pack? Google couldn't find it, unless it's something you made as an example...

It's a legit mod. I don't know of anywhere that hosts it. I have the files and the readme here, in any case.

JA MODIFICATION

Build Time: All done over 4 months

Description: All these except for the Beretta m9, the Mossberg the crossbow bloody machette, and one of the spas12s have been realeased before these are ll rejects from my extreeme weapons pack (beta coming soon) though all previous problems with weapons have been fixed have been fixed.

Heavy Repeater    -Matrix UMP
         M4 M203
         MP5 M203
         M249
         Silenced MP5
         Ak47 M203

Bowcaster     -Crossbow

Blaster     -MP5 Silenced
         MP5
         P90
         AK47
         P90 silenced
         MP5k

Disuptor      -FN FAL
         MP5
         M4
         Crossbow

Stunbaton     -Machette Bloody
        -Machette Synthetic

Blaster Pistol     -Silenced PPK
         Desert Eagle
         Vietcong Revolver
         Beretta M9

Golan Arms      -Spas12
         Spas12 Stock Down
         M3 Wood
         M3 Metal
         M3 Chrome
         Mossberg

Tripmine    -C4

Detpack        -Pipebomb

MerrSonn      -XM-103 Rocket Launcher

Thermal        -M61 Grenades

any problems email me at cjone2@hotmail.co.uk

All these were made by other people for other games all i have done is converted them converted in milkshape 3d except the crossbow and rocket launcher which i pieced together from other models i included the credits from the models i used, the ak47 with m203 is just the m203 from the m4 m203 with a different ak model. Shell casings are reskins of some from sof2 weapon mod using skin from m249 also ak47 sounds and bullet skin from this pack flesh impact sounds also from here.

All i did was the bullet models (except a few pistol ones), effects, changing the blood a bit, icons and the converting.

Installation and Uninstallation:

INSTALLATION
Simply extract/place the .pk3 file into your gamedata/base directory, and run the game!

For blood extract blood pk3s to the base folder

UNINSTALLATION
Simply remove/delete the .pk3 file from your gamedata/base directory

Credits:

Heavy Repeater    -Matrix UMP (Outlaw, zul, Tin Soldier, S.P.I.T.Z, Bots,Tin Soldier, S7OK3)
         M4 M203 (Tin Soldier a.k.a ReggieDog, Executrix)
         MP5 M203 (Raven, §ixShooter, Hawk)
         M249 (CSHPT M249, De@dMe@t, Sodom-Hussein, Lonewolf, Raven, Murdock, Antix, Andromeda, OneManArmy)
         Silenced MP5 (Short_Fuse, Creeping_Jesus, Version_2, Ironclad, Wannabe, Sub Zero, The Lama, SAS.STU, Prodigy, The Aim, -X-)
         Ak47 M203 (Tin Soldier, Darkstorn, Firegold, Splinter, Thor, Yamantaka, Strykerwolf)

Bowcaster     -Crossbow (Outlaw, S.P.I.T.Z, Shrike, Wannabe, M|N|ON, Mr.Otter)

Blaster     -MP5 Silenced ({Re(@)peR})
         MP5 ({Re(@)peR})
         P90 (Spezz,  Bi0hazard, pr0d!gy)
         AK47 (Shrike, Wannabe)
         P90 silenced (Spezz, S.P.I.T.Z, Thanez)
         MP5k (Short_fuse, Andrew, Stoke,Sas.Stu, Firegold, BulletHead, Creeping_jesus, Nightshade, Thor, Yamantaka)

Disuptor      -FN FAL (Unknown)
         MP5 ( M|N|ON, Mr.Otter)
         M4 (Ankalar, Stoke, bullet_head, Creeping_Jesus, -X-)
         Crossbow ( Wannabe, 4130, De@dMe@t, S7OK3, Snark, Snap, S.P.I.T.Z, Bullet Head, Robert Olender, ReTr0, Darkstorn, Firegold, Splinter, Thor, Yamantaka, Strykerwolf, Jennifer!, Bullethead, cjone2)

Stunbaton     -Machette Bloody (version2, insulaner)
        -Machette Synthetic (version2, numb rider)

Blaster Pistol     -Silenced PPK (Venom908, !NC!Furious)
         Desert Eagle (birdhouses, S7OK3, Pr0d!gy, snark)
         Vietcong Revolver (Snap, Vietcong, vunsunta)
         Beretta M9 (Bullit, Vince, SplinterCell)

Golan Arms      -Spas12 (Snark, Giz, Stoke, Robert Olender)
         Spas12 Stock Down (DarkStorn, B00G3R, Ope, De@dMe@t,SplinterCell)
          M3 Wood (Biohazard, Schmung, Pr0digy, SureShot, Enmity)
         M3 Metal (Biohazard, Schmung, Pr0digy, SureShot, Enmity)
         M3 Chrome (Biohazard, Schmung, Pr0digy, SureShot, Enmity)
         Mossberg (Slipknot Freak, E3D, DesertFOK)

Tripmine    -C4 (defektion, Outlaw, NauT!cA)

Detpack        -Pipebomb (Artic Sniper, SixShooter, NauT!cA)

MerrSonn      -XM-103 Rocket Launcher (Kalo, Anarchy, Fiblah, Galen,  Decimal, Intel, Sebastian Croon AKA [JEA]SPAWN, [The Almighty], Glo-Boy, Ankalar, Stoke, bullet_head, Creeping_Jesus, -X-)

Thermal        -M61 Grenades (TS Team, Insulaner, Snake, The Expert)

Blood        -(fatoschi, Chris Reed)

all credit to origional authors
im happy for any part of this to be used in a mod so long as it is credited properly and you notify me before you release the mod. (i will say yes but i would like to know)

Conditions of use and distribution:

Feel free to distribute this skin as long as you do it:
a) Free of charge
b) With ALL of the files included, including this readme.

Legal:

I am not responsible for anything these files may do to your computer. Use at your own risk.

THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN, OR
LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & © LUCASARTS
ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.

^I think you're thinking of pcgamemods.com

Which is why that site doesn't exist anymore, should have mentioned that place sooner since it's a prime example of a site being removed from the internet due to copyright infringement.

pcgamemods shut down due to internal problems and all of the drama in the forums. besides he had other websites that was becoming more profitable at the time.

as to the whole porting debate, its been going on since the release of the halo model then the kotor models and so on. its the same debate then and it will continue on in the future. if people are wanting them still why not just put them up for download on like dropbox, megashares or some other hosting site to keep them off ja mod sites. I dont see what the big deal is for people to have the ported models unless they use them for personal use. cause end of the day when your playing on a server using a ported model your still gonna look like kyle to everyone else.

you know what gets me everyone is wanting ported models, why has no one ever made legit models of those ported ones. seems like a win win idea to me, but after all these years maybe we got a few done?

Still, a lot of people here could easily learn how to model themselves, not a single modeler in JA was a professional, a few became true industry workers but they had already put out handfuls of models long before they made a career of it with ZERO formal training for most. All google taught.

The only 2 I know of that made a career of it was Almighty_Gir and Psyk0Sith and both had learned how to model long before they made a career of it.

ChalklYne likes this

Still, a lot of people here could easily learn how to model themselves, not a single modeler in JA was a professional, a few became true industry workers but they had already put out handfuls of models long before they made a career of it with ZERO formal training for most. All google taught.

The only 2 I know of that made a career of it was Almighty_Gir and Psyk0Sith and both had learned how to model long before they made a career of it.

Conversely, I've seen school taught modelers that suck really really hard. I think having the drive to dig through the internet to teach yourself yields more talented, albeit less technical modelers. Even then, that isn't always the case. Some people really dig into all facets of the process.

Conversely, I've seen school taught modelers that suck really really hard. I think having the drive to dig through the internet to teach yourself yields more talented, albeit less technical modelers. Even then, that isn't always the case. Some people really dig into all facets of the process.

Likewise, they say that 85% of CS graduates can't even program a simple Java program. But I digress.