Darth Maul

Could you guys be a bit more respectful of what I choose to enjoy and admire? I don't cather whether the rest of you like it or not, but I'm feeling cornered and angered that all of you are acting this way about one of my favorite SW chronology implements and calling it gay. Seriously, I have limits to what I tolerate, and I find this disrespectful, so please keep a cap on it.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you guys be a bit more respectful of what I choose to enjoy and admire? I don't cather whether the rest of you like it or not, but I'm feeling cornered and angered that all of you are acting this way about one of my favorite SW chronology implements and calling it gay. Seriously, I have limits to what I tolerate, and I find this disrespectful, so please keep a cap on it.

I'm sorry you think we are attacking your personal tastes. I certainly wasn't. But everyone should be allowed to voice their own opinions. I've never seen the show, but that's just because I like only the live-action movies and some of the video games best. I have nothing against you liking the show.

And honestly, the reason I'm excited for DT85's new model is that it looks like the actor, Ray Park. He really made Maul what he is, after all. All the previous models just really didn't capture him, in my opinion.

So @, please try not to get upset. I had no intention of angering you.

And @@DT85, keep up the good work. It really looks great so far, and you're already one of my favorite modellers (the stormtrooper model is fabulous!).

I'm sorry you think we are attacking your personal tastes. I certainly wasn't. But everyone should be allowed to voice their own opinions. I've never seen the show, but that's just because I like only the live-action movies and some of the video games best. I have nothing against you liking the show.

And honestly, the reason I'm excited for DT85's new model is that it looks like the actor, Ray Park. He really made Maul what he is, after all. All the previous models just really didn't capture him, in my opinion.

So @, please try not to get upset. I had no intention of angering you.

I was just saying there should be a Ray Park version of Clone Wars Maul.

Also, thanks. I didn't mean to seem like a prick for a second earlier, so I'm sorry too.

Bane_Ross and Omicron like this

I've been hunting the net for refs and also looked at 501st to see how everything is put together. That fabric that goes around the neck is actually a tabbard, and I didn't correctly set it up. I also cleaned up the skirt area considerably. ;)

negru_tudor likes this

I've been hunting the net for refs and also looked at 501st to see how everything is put together. That fabric that goes around the neck is actually a tabbard, and I didn't correctly set it up. I also cleaned up the skirt area considerably. ;)

Let me know if you need HQ reference shots from the movie.

DT. and negru_tudor like this

To expand on my previous post, because i'm nice (and yes i know DT you probably already know this stuff) and feel like educating the masses today...

CyT5ITT.png

KXzNGOE.png

On the right - 

Evenly spaced geometry in the low poly, trying to ensure that the high poly edges aren't too tight. you can see the even spacing in the high poly, on a basic cylinder it's not so important, it's just "good practice" to do it. when it comes to more complex shapes you want the geometry as even as possible. notice in the bakes below how the lines are nice and smooth, there's enough of an edge to define itself, but it still allows for a really nice curve in the shading.

VvDFKfs.pngOe8YCbD.png

On the left - worlds tightest edges! uneven geometry will lead to problems in more complex shapes later on, and in this particular example, you can see in the bakes below that the tightness of the edges has caused the bakes to come out with razor thin shading that would be problematic if it weren't on a straight line. In fact you can see this quite clearly at the top in the middle.

AflGHGN.pngfBTraK3.png

negru_tudor, ChalklYne, DT. and 3 others like this

Yeah chin seems ok, but the gap between the nose and lips is pretty noticeable. Could be the gap, or something with his lip divot right there in the middle whatever you call it. regardless, something in that area just seems to jump out at me?

I would just say take a look at it because when it comes to proportions, I don't know my ass from my elbow.

negru_tudor likes this