Additional Assistance Needed with Entities

Hi,

First order of business - Adding Trigger Teleports

I need some more help with entities. I wish to add some stuff.  First off, You know how like on the School of War server for example their ffa3 map has teleports you have to push and when you walk up to it has as message (ex. Mercenary Zone Press 'USE' to enter). I would like to know how to do that.

Second order of business - removing teleports via button

Next, I would like to know how to disable teleports/animations via button and reactivate the teleports/animations with the same button.

Third order of business - Func_Doors on t1_inter

I would like to know how to add a func_door to the door on t1_inter and have it open and close (up = closed, down = open)

Fourth order of business - scripts & spawnable stuff

This is where I would like to hit a button and spawn something like an npc.I would like to know make something attackable without destroying it. Like for example a training post where u attack it but it doesn't destroy it.

Fifth and final order of business - messages via origin

for the final thing i would like to know how I can have messages appear when i walk into a certain area.

Help is greatly appreciated!!!

Hey, its not as easy as it sounds and it would be much simpler if someone told me that way I can learn it better. Besides, do you know how long that would take? Longer than it would to make my own. I doubt I can find all the info I need from digging into other maps. That's why I posted here for help. I learn from others not from files. I learn by asking questions and that makes you a stronger modder.

It took my roughly 2 weeks, working a couple hours every other day to learn to do all that and more.

If you haven't yet, read through Richdiesal's mapping university. It has most of the basics in a very comprehensible way.

For all the things that have to do with messages - target_print will print a message in the middle of the screen.

A trigger_multiple can define an area where something will happen if someone walks into it - for example this can trigger you to teleport. Basically, everything the trigger is connected to will *happen*.

A target_activate deals with whether or not something is usable yet. Combined with the trigger_multiple, you should be able to put something together to make it work the way you want. Once you learn these things, you'll also understand how to make many other things work, including some of the other things you mentioned.

therfiles likes this

No offense bros, you are making this more difficult than it has to be. I love reading through a bunch of tutorials as much as the next guy but I don't have the time. Why do you think I asked here and didn't ask for links or tutorials? Because I don't have the time to go through every single map in existence to find a 5-10 lined code. I just want it simple. Another reason why I don't have the time is I don't have the internet at home otherwise I wouldn't mind spending weeks on in looking for something. Please just fill in my request so I can quit buggin u because right now I am spending more time trying to find help than I am actually getting. Arrgh this is so frustrating! :angry:

Please just fill in my request so I can quit buggin u because right now I am spending more time trying to find help than I am actually getting.

Really? Because if you learned how to figure this stuff out on your own, you wouldn't be bugging us at all.

hint: trigger_multiple with usable flag set and pointing to a misc_teleporter (i think is the name of the ent)

hint: target_activate, target_deactivate

hint: figure out the targetname of the door and have a trigger_multiple target it, causing it to open and close.

hint: same as #1 but with NPC_spawner instead of misc_teleporter

hint: trigger_multiple pointing to a target_print

Raz0r likes this

You could save websites so that you don't need the internet later to read tutorials. I think if we somehow give even clearer instructions on how to do these things, there's a big probability it will just as well bear many follow-up questions, specifications and troubleshooting (which I believe could be solved by reading tutorials. It probably takes a lot less time than waiting for answers here, especially when it's on the very basic level).

You could also download these mapping tutorials by Mug and watch them later: http://www.youtube.com/user/JediKnightHub

Mapping tends to be the stuff you don't do in a hurry. I can spend 4-5 hours at a time trying to figure out how some things work. It needs patience.

You don't need the internet. Pick apart the scripts that came in the pk3s, look through the entity list that comes with gtkradiant in base/scripts. Look at sample maps. Extract ents from other maps.

My point is you'll be a lot better at it once you figure things out for yourself.

Dude, if I had the time I'd be glad to listen to them. But the fact is I don't have 2 weeks or 2 months I have now and maybe Saturday. Aside from that I CANNOT get online. If I had the time I'd gladly read those tutorials or whatever bits of info they provided. As you already know I NO LONGER HAVE THE INTERNET!!

You could download the tutorials for use offline.  Then you'd have as much time as you need to digest the information in them.

JKG Developer

Woah...lets calm down here. Figuring out most of this stuff out wouldn't take an entire Saturday.

Really? Because if you learned how to figure this stuff out on your own, you wouldn't be bugging us at all.

hint: trigger_multiple with usable flag set and pointing to a misc_teleporter (i think is the name of the ent)

hint: target_activate, target_deactivate

hint: figure out the targetname of the door and have a trigger_multiple target it, causing it to open and close.

hint: same as #1 but with NPC_spawner instead of misc_teleporter

hint: trigger_multiple pointing to a target_print

@eezstreet's explanations here are, quick, concise, and helpful. With this info, you should have all the info you need to get it all working.

Here are some extra tips:

1 - Make a trigger_teleport and check the "use" flag (this makes the user have to push a button). Connect it to a target_position and a target_print.

2 - You'd either have to write a simple script that toggles the above trigger_teleport is active, or make a trigger_multiple, and connect it to a target_activate and then to the trigger_teleport. I think. This may be complex, but think through it logically (think: user presses the button, a signal is relayed to this ent, etc).

3 - If you want to add a door that opens down there is a spawnflag that does that. If you want to add the door to the map itself, you can't. You'd have to have the .map or use map modding or some sort of makermod to do it. Sorry.

4 - Make a trigger_multiple (again, no surprise, use the use flag) and connect it to an NPC_spawner (or another NPC_ entry that is what you desire). You may have to tweak the spawnflags. For the unkillable thing, make a func_breakable with either the invincible flag checked or just a crap load of health (100000000).

5 - Trigger_multiple connected to target_print.

Disclaimer - everything above could be wrong. :DNot likely...

WHY WON'T ANYONE LISTEN!? I DON'T HAVE THE FLIPPIN TIME TO FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT ON MY OWN!!! IS THIS THE MODDING ASSISTANCE THREAD OR THE COMPLAIN THREAD?

Ok. Bro, if you want to do this, you have to put in the time. This is not fast food. I know you can do all the things you want (minus 3) in a manageable amount of time. Everyone here wants to help you help yourself. You will learn nothing if it's all just handed to you. And we're not complaining. We're helping you help you.

You could save websites so that you don't need the internet later to read tutorials. I think if we somehow give even clearer instructions on how to do these things, there's a big probability it will just as well bear many follow-up questions, specifications and troubleshooting (which I believe could be solved by reading tutorials. It probably takes a lot less time than waiting for answers here, especially when it's on the very basic level).

You could also download these mapping tutorials by Mug and watch them later: http://www.youtube.com/user/JediKnightHub

Mapping tends to be the stuff you don't do in a hurry. I can spend 4-5 hours at a time trying to figure out how some things work. It needs patience.

This.

Circa likes this

Use CTRL + K for link an entity on GTK radiant to another, for create a trigger, make the brush of the trigger like a large square wall textured with sustem \ trigger and after convert the brush on the trigger yu desire.

for the teleport, yu need simply to create a trigger_teleport linked with control + k to a target position entity. this target_position set when the player be spawned using the warp. ;)

the switch are  so: ù

target activate and target deactivate, linekd to  -> trigger multiple with an usescript, -> , linked with a func_usable or a func_botton.

the script also can deactivate thetrigger for a few of second and after reactivaed by Icarus way.

:)

player use the trigger, start the usescript, and the script make the other operations. :)

Use CTRL + K for link an entity on GTK radiant to another, for create a trigger, make the brush of the trigger like a large square wall textured with sustem \ trigger and after convert the brush on the trigger yu desire.

for the teleport, yu need simply to create a trigger_teleport linked with control + k to a target position entity. this target_position set when the player be spawned using the warp. ;)

the switch are  so: ù

target activate and target deactivate, linekd to  -> trigger multiple with an usescript, -> , linked with a func_usable or a func_botton.

the script also can deactivate thetrigger for a few of second and after reactivaed by Icarus way.

:)

player use the trigger, start the usescript, and the script make the other operations. :)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I think you lost the beat.

• 5 weeks later...

How come whenever someone asks for help nobody grants it, but oh--they'll give you a load of suggestions.

How come people go straight to a forum for support on very basic design aspects when figuring it out for themselves would make them more knowledgeable and capable modders in the long run?

If you read, I eventually wrote him off as unmotivated and did the work for him. You can read right?