JKO in Unreal Engine

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eh, tbh this left me with mixed feelings all around.

The animations didn't look very fluid at all.

First off, there's some really minor issues in the effects being played. There's a random green explosion behind him, with no reason whatsoever. Then, the stormtrooper on the right fires a shot, and it goes straight through his lightsaber and his arm and Kyle doesn't even so much as flinch.

When looking at Kyle pull people and swing his saber, he almost slows down and speeds up rather jerkily and it looks really bad just in general. The lack of definition in his body doesn't mesh well with the really high definition of his face. The wall run scene could have used some slow motion for optimal effect. When he lands from the attack on the Mark 1, he quickly jumps up and then pushes them away, and then quickly turns around. This looks really really awful. There is virtually no delay between anything, and the animation comes off as very static, as if there isn't any blending at all.

Then we see the scene with the Probe droids. He takes a very slow, methodical look at them and then quickly throws his hand into a lightning pose, no warning at all. This also looks very unrealistic as his face changes at precisely the moment when the lightning starts playing. Realistically, his face would have changed expression before the lightning was executed, in anticipation of the lightning force power being done.

Also, wtf, why is Hoth music being played? Also, what happened to the other stormtrooper? He pulled only one, and suddenly the other one was gone. The same scream is heard from Kyle twice.

The bumpmaps are extremely strong, to the point where it makes the scene look really terrible, most especially on the walls. Also, Kyle's clothes cause a rather nasty warping effect when viewed without any movement. Perhaps it's an optical illusion, not sure.

DT. likes this

Agree pretty much with eez, although didn't notice everything, like the shot going through the arm.

I think it looks good apart from a few things. The cloth simulation seems off - especially since he has rather tight clothing. It's like there is a very local very strong wind on him all the time. The animations are a bit cartoony in their suddenness, and also his facial expressions look very cartoony/stylized compared to how I'd imagine him to look.

And where did the shot at 0:07 come from?! Props for the comedy in his facial expression realizing he's about to be hit by the stormtrooper he pulled. Though something looks a bit unnatural about that whole sequence. And they gotta stop using that scream in all of the action shots :P

Other than that, I think the project is overall a positive initiative and good effort, frowned upon elements of the production aside.

DT. and eezstreet like this
Then we see the scene with the Probe droids. He takes a very slow, methodical look at them and then quickly throws his hand into a lightning pose, no warning at all. This also looks very unrealistic as his face changes at precisely the moment when the lightning starts playing. Realistically, his face would have changed expression before the lightning was executed, in anticipation of the lightning force power being done.

+1

IMO they shouldn't use JKO animations all time and Kyle's same scream every video... It's cinematic so they shud make new animations in UDK. I also don't like that pull, but 0:04 - 0:07 looks good. Generally that movie is going to be good. Remember it's fan made. It's also one of the biggest project in JK history.

Remember it's fan made. It's also one of the biggest project in JK history.

No it's not... They produced very few of their own assets. Everything else is ripped straight out of the JK assets. 

+1

IMO they shouldn't use JKO animations all time and Kyle's same scream every video... It's cinematic so they shud make new animations in UDK. I also don't like that pull, but 0:04 - 0:07 looks good. Generally that movie is going to be good. Remember it's fan made. It's also one of the biggest project in JK history.

You can't make new character animations in UDK, or Unreal itself for that matter.  You can do simple movements, like rotations and translations of objects, but that's it.  Everything else would need to be done in a software supporting animation and capable of exporting into Unreal, the most likely candidate being Maya, since it has the better export tools for UDK.  But given that they obviously haven't done so, you can assume that they have no animation experience, which explains why all the transitions look so damn sloppy.

Eh, tbh this left me with mixed feelings all around.

The animations didn't look very fluid at all.

First off, there's some really minor issues in the effects being played. There's a random green explosion behind him, with no reason whatsoever. Then, the stormtrooper on the right fires a shot, and it goes straight through his lightsaber and his arm and Kyle doesn't even so much as flinch.

When looking at Kyle pull people and swing his saber, he almost slows down and speeds up rather jerkily and it looks really bad just in general. The lack of definition in his body doesn't mesh well with the really high definition of his face. The wall run scene could have used some slow motion for optimal effect. When he lands from the attack on the Mark 1, he quickly jumps up and then pushes them away, and then quickly turns around. This looks really really awful. There is virtually no delay between anything, and the animation comes off as very static, as if there isn't any blending at all.

That would be because there obviously isn't any blending.  From what I can tell of these videos, they didn't go through the process of creating animtrees in UDK, which actually blend animations, and instead are just playing them into the Matinee sequence, which is a sin upon sins.  If you're going to port content because you're either 1) lazy or 2) inexperienced, then fine, but at least learn the tools you're using and put some effort into things.

I think it looks good apart from a few things. The cloth simulation seems off - especially since he has rather tight clothing. It's like there is a very local very strong wind on him all the time. 

That is EXACTLY what they've done...when you create a cloth simulation, really only two things will make it move...either 1) another physics object collides with it, or 2) a "wind" effect.  Since colliding with it would look goofy as hell, they've gone for the wind option, which I saw a few videos on their Facebook page, taking place on Bespin, where Kyle is still and it works OK, not great, but not terrible, the problem is that (in UDK at least) wind is kind-of set in single direction, and it's a volume, the only way I can think of to move it or affect it's direction at will, is through scripting, which it seems unlikely that they're doing much of for this, since literally everything they've done can be done with Matinee sequences.

The bumpmaps are extremely strong, to the point where it makes the scene look really terrible, most especially on the walls. Also, Kyle's clothes cause a rather nasty warping effect when viewed without any movement. Perhaps it's an optical illusion, not sure.

I think that warping effect is the "cloth simulation" they've been using to make it look like it is actually fabric, except they seem to have it constantly going, and it looks goofy, especially if you're on a space station or in a building.

The only thing this guy can be praised for is his knowledge of UDK.

I wouldn't even go that far, these matinees scream of someone who picked up the software just for this purpose, and is learning by doing, the animation transitions are not smooth at all, and they don't seem to have a strong grasp on how to blend animations.  Not a bad plan necessarily to learn by doing, but for something this large (be it using ported content or not) it's a poor decision.  The Matinee editor is stupid easy to learn, you're basically just dropping in animations and sounds, etc like you would video clips into a video editor.

Grab and eezstreet like this
  • 2 weeks later...