JKO in Unreal Engine

Ha. Yep, KOTOR animations. Why don't they just make their own?

The obvious reason being that they don't know how?  OR are quite shit at it.

I say this because anyone with any decent animation experience would blend their animation sequences better, and would understand secondary motion better.

Also, that slide from the force push at 0:07, made me die inside.

giphy.gif

eezstreet and Circa like this

They could have spent their time animating rather than regargeting KOTOR animations to whatever skeleton they use.

I'd be willing to bet money that they didn't even do that.  More likely they just have copies of the character models rigged to KOTOR skeletons for when they want to use those.

Just....so....bad.....please make it stop....

1376098796909.gif

Of course these videos have defects but for fuck's sake people lament like they had to pay for this and someone force them to watch this...

If you cry or want to kill yourself while watching this, don't watch then.

Poeple fap to graphics mods or spamming mods into SP but no1 thought about movie/small movies. Don't act like a peasants...

Of course these videos have defects but for fuck's sake people lament like they had to pay for this and someone force them to watch this...

Poeple fap to graphics mods or spamming mods into SP but no1 thought about movie/small movies. Don't act like a peasants...

My point is, if you're going to steal your assets, at least do a good job of it.

It is one thing to have put in your own blood, sweat, and tears into something, and have it turn out sub-par or even terrible.  Because at that point, you deserve respect because, at least you made an attempt, and presumably did your best.

But when you basically steal and re-hash all of the work from other sources, and still manage to make a sub-par product, then you really don't deserve any level of respect or admiration, because you didn't actually do or accomplish anything on your own.

My point is, if you're going to steal your assets, at least do a good job of it.

It is one thing to have put in your own blood, sweat, and tears into something, and have it turn out sub-par or even terrible.  Because at that point, you deserve respect because, at least you made an attempt, and presumably did your best.

But when you basically steal and re-hash all of the work from other sources, and still manage to make a sub-par product, then you really don't deserve any level of respect or admiration, because you didn't actually do or accomplish anything on your own.

One of the reasons why JKG was hesitant about ever releasing it's assets/code (aside from good old Tim).

JKG Developer

I don't think it's steal, it's also not plagiarism. Steal is when robber have item and owner don't. They don't say these assest are their. They just copied textures/models/sounds. Of course I'm againt using JKA/KotoR animations, not because they are "stolen" but because they look creppy in 90% of situations. Everyone criticize them here, where they cannot see that. No one have Facebook here? Instead of writing here, what won't change nothing, write on fanpage constructive critism. I don't have facebook so I can't do that.

PS: Don't talk about "stolen" materials, because I'm sure they won't make new. That's not very big scale project to make anything new.

Sry for my bad english :v

"spamming mods"? I do not follow.

I don't think it's steal, it's also not plagiarism. Steal is when robber have item and owner don't. They don't say these assest are their. They just copied textures/models/sounds. Of course I'm againt using JKA/KotoR animations, not because they are "stolen" but because they look creppy in 90% of situations. Everyone criticize them here, where they cannot see that. No one have Facebook here? Instead of writing here, what won't change nothing, write on fanpage constructive critism. I don't have facebook so I can't do that.

PS: Don't talk about "stolen" materials, because I'm sure they won't make new. That's not very big scale project to make anything new.

Sry for my bad english :v

They took models, sounds, animations, levels, etc from Raven and then slapped them together into a movie. CrimsonStrife was saying how it would've been better if they made sucky assets and put a lot of effort into doing so, than if they just put this pre-made stuff in a crap movie that was pieced together in Matinee.

Whenever I'm making something from scratch I NEVER rip things from other games or use other peoples content.  It completely defeats the purpose of being original especially on an engine that has so much potential.

I've sometimes had people ask me to help them with their mod or their game, I've then found out that they want me to rip/skin models that they've ripped from another game and I simply refuse.

They don't make anything from scratch and they don't pretend to do so (or do they). They are making a movie. If it was a game with stolen assets it would be different, it's not like they share or even sell JKII-assets though. They import them to UDK because that engine looks better than what we have in JKII and then they film it, that's it. I don't see how this could be a problem. If they would have to recreate all assets they could also just make a new game.

They don't make anything from scratch and they don't pretend to do so (or do they). They are making a movie. If it was a game with stolen assets it would be different, it's not like they share or even sell JKII-assets though. They import them to UDK because that engine looks better than what we have in JKII and then they film it, that's it. I don't see how this could be a problem.

We've already jumped all over the argument.  The fact most of us are trying to present, is that they don't deserve any real credit for doing this, as it is just a bunch of copypasta work.

It's not that "it is a problem", it is that a lot of us see the point.  They aren't learning anything, and they'll simply earn praise from people for something that isn't really their own work, regardless of what they claim.  It would only become a problem if they started trying to profit from it.

And it is "theft", they don't have permission to use the assets, be they KOTOR or JK, so they are taking them without the knowledge or permission of the license holders.

If they would have to recreate all assets they could also just make a new game.

Nope, another argument we've been over before.  They could make A game, sure...but not a Star Wars game. Custom assets or not, the Star Wars IP is copyrighted. And therefore, technically free or no, any project using it can be shutdown by the copyright holders.

And this would still fall into that ballpark, technically they have no rights to the Star Wars IP, so this would be an unsanctioned project, and would technically be violating copyright laws.  In modding we get away with it, because we are adding content to something already licensed with the IP, and we have the blessing of the company for that.  The simple fact that they have ported content, regardless of intended use, is in violation of the games EULA.

So game or no, we really have every reason to dislike what they are doing.

I don't really care about the asset "theft". They're using the original source material because their movie is meant to emulate stuff which happened in the game. To me, this is absolutely no different from a machinima in concept. Yes, they're using content from the original game, but they're trying to emulate what's going on in the single player game in terms of a movie. As long as they credit Raven Software and/or BioWare and don't charge money, I really don't see a problem.

However, the way they're using the original material is really horrible. They're deviating from the game in a variety of ways, and they possess a very primitive understanding of both their tools and basic animation, esp. squash and stretch, secondary motion, animation leading, charm, ...). John Lasseter from Pixar wrote a good article on this. I believe it's called "Principles of Traditional Animation applied to 3D Animation"

Grab and Boothand like this

I know that. What I meant was: With all the work they would have to put in recreating all the assets it would be almost as much work as creating a new game (and before you start an argument about that, I know that creating a game is more than just recreating assets). I know that they are not allowed to do a SW game. And I know that it's a violation of the EULA. And I know that it would be better if they would do their own assets. Still, I don't care as they don't hurt anyone. And whether it's artistic valuable or not is another story. I don't know if the movie is going to be good.

Shadzy, therfiles, Sithani and 2 others like this
  • 4 weeks later...